Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

NativeBear
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

24 Sep 2012, 12:28 am

I heard about Nobody Nowhere from a dyslexic friend and have heard that it´s a wonderful read for everybody on the spectrum. Does anybody have any personal reviews they would like to share?

Nostromos
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

24 Sep 2012, 1:23 am

I haven't read it, but I read an aspie's review about it here:

http://www.rogernmeyer.com/Hubert_Cross ... y_2002.htm

He says it's really depressing, but a natural counterbalance to authors like Temple Grandin who may paint a dangerously rosy picture of a life on the spectrum. Keep in mind Temple Grandin was raised in the fifties and sixties by a nurturing community and devoted, highly educated and successful family members. Autism aside, I wouldn't discount the positive effect of the good genes she certainly inherited from her seemingly aristocratic family.

jagatai
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2012, 9:56 am

I read a review of the book when it came out and thought "wow, that sounds a awful lot like me." At the time, I knew nothing about autism and was surprised to discover an autistic person was capable of writing a book. I read the book and enjoyed it very much. It was the first time I started to think my eccentricities were in any way related to autism.

At any rate, I enjoyed the book, but I haven't read any of her other books. Also it was many years ago and I don't know what I would think of them now. Anyway, it's probably worth reading.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2012, 7:07 pm

i have almost all of her books and they are all great reads

nobody nowhere
somebody somewhere
like color to the blind
autism an inside out approach
autism and sensing,the unlost instinct

i think she has a few new ones out too but i have not read those