Listening to the same song on a loop...

Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

CSBurks
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2013, 5:01 pm

Does anyone else listen to the same song on a loop? I do this for not only hours but days, sometimes more than a week.

AngelKnight
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2013, 5:20 pm

I've done that on occasion with tunes I really got into, for perhaps a few hours or so on end. I've also done that with a few specific songs where the novelty has worn off but it's useful to provide a steady beat to doing work; all 4 of these have steady, unvarying tempos.

I can't say I've played any one tune on a loop for over a week though.

charlottez
Raven
Raven

13 Feb 2013, 6:35 pm

Yup

dyingofpoetry
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2013, 7:48 pm

A few hours, yes, especially if it has either a complex arrangement so that I always hear something new, or if it's minimalist and repetitive, in which case I can use it to better focus on an activity. A few days or week, no.

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2013, 8:08 pm

I prefer not to even if I really, really like a song. For this reason it sometimes takes me a while to even realise I really like a song, as it may take a few listens for it grow on me. I'm also the same with albums. I think of it kind of like having a palate cleanser between second helpings.

NocturnalLament
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Feb 2013, 2:26 pm

My current musical obsessions are Gnossiene no. 1 by Eric Satie and the aria form the Goldberg Variations by Bach. I can't go very long without listening to/playing one of these.

Your Aspie score: 170 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 24 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie

Redstar2613
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Feb 2013, 10:25 pm

I've listened to some songs on a loop all day long, never the same song for a week, though I can do that with albums.

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2013, 10:53 pm

I do that when I discover a new song I like. Not too often besides that, though. But if I discover a new song I like, or a song I've not listened to in a long while, then I'll do the whole listen to it 20 times in a row, thing.

I don't think this is an Aspie thing, though. My aunt who's far from Aspie as you can get really, she wore out a 45RPM single of this song from the 60s called "Dizzy" when she was a kid.

rapidroy
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2013, 12:50 am

I can get stuck on a song or I create a medley of 2 or 3 like sounding songs usually back to back on a CD. I have been doing this since I was a child, the only thing to slow it down was that I was wearing out my cassette tapes rewinding again and again, also it annoys people in the house sometimes.

I like to explore every song in fine detail until theres nothing left to figure out, some songs take 2 or 3 plays where is some i've had or 15 years and I still don't them yet, sometimes I play in a loop for the emotional feeling the song gives me and as I begin to feel different I lose intrest in the song.

Nightingale121
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2013, 3:16 pm

Yes, but when I am not alone at home it has to be not too loud because my family members don´t understand it. They don´t like it to hear one song again and again. I can relax while doing this. But it only works with special songs, not with everything.

mercifullyfree
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Feb 2013, 4:24 pm

Yes, for hours and hours many days in a row. I just need to remind myself to put headphones on if I catch myself doing this or I will get complaints. My dad does this too, have memories of him blasting the same Fleetwood Mac song all day long when I was a kid. So, I thought this was normal until I got complaints.

Stargazer43
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2013, 5:20 pm

Why yes I do! Fairly frequently in fact!

keerawa
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Feb 2013, 6:07 am

Yes - I often do this while writing. It helps me to avoid auditory distractions.

just-me
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2013, 12:09 am

Yes i have always done that. I always assumed it was an aspi thing. Over the years i have learned not to simply because this habit drives every one i know nuts. but i still do it when i have head phones on.

Dots
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2013, 7:25 pm

I listen to one song on a loop for weeks too.

Free speech means the right to shout 'theatre' in a crowded fire.
--Abbie Hoffman

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2013, 6:03 pm

NocturnalLament wrote:
My current musical obsessions are Gnossiene no. 1 by Eric Satie and the aria form the Goldberg Variations by Bach. I can't go very long without listening to/playing one of these.

I used to listen to the three Gymnopedies one after another over and over again for extended periods of time.