Calling all writers! What genre do you write?

Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

WarmAir
Raven
Raven

14 Apr 2013, 4:29 pm

I'm interested in what genre other people on this site write? I like everyday drama which is just stories about people with their normal lives like their problems and how they overcome them. I can't stand writing (or reading) science fiction or fantasy, because it doesn't make sense to me.

What do you like?

Warm Air

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2013, 5:23 pm

<--- Writes horror, drama, fairy tales, science fiction and crime in the formats of short stories, novellas, screenplays and novels.

<--- A note about his science fiction. He eschews fanciful names & unpronounceable destinations in favor of "what if" futuristic-type dramas. In essence, it's like a story of, say, New York or Paris set in the not too distant future with real humans in unreal situations.

transformingcar
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2013, 5:32 pm

I write mostly peaceful storys... about the daily life of my characters, but also with a mysterious, often times, sinister twist...
No one really gets hurt in my storys, but alot of weird, crazy, bizarre things happen...
basicly it's what happens when you put all the mentally screwed up people in a single community, watched over by like, two docters... something like that... you get the idea...

Cilantro
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Apr 2013, 6:23 pm

I like sci-fi/fantasy specifically because it's so different from everyday life. It also opens up new and unusual opportunities for old questions or ordinary situations. Why write about what I can just walk outside and experience or log onto the Internet and see people arguing about?

Giftorcurse
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2013, 7:09 pm

My stories are set in a shared universe, so it's a mix of several genres, namely science fiction, horror, and thrillers.

BrandonSP
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2013, 7:45 pm

I'm the opposite of the OP. I like exotic fantasy and historical settings and adventures far removed from my own mundane existence. Africa is probably my favorite continent to use as inspirational source material, though I also like Norse and Middle Eastern cultures.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2013, 8:40 pm

I mostly write horror fiction, though years ago, I had worked on a couple crime novels that went nowhere. I had dedicated time to writing a horror novel in the past - which I'll hopefully get back to someday - but these days, I'm concentrating on short fiction.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

charcoalsketches
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Apr 2013, 9:54 am

Well, I tend to write a lot of poetry. Some fiction very few of it is. I also write fictitious stories, but most of that is realistic fiction. For example, I wrote one story fro mthe point of view of a kid whose mother suffers from mental illness.

mikassyna
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2013, 10:12 am

Poetry, short stories, monologues

Dragoness
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Apr 2013, 8:03 pm

Avid reader and writer of fantasy here.

LiberalJustice
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2013, 9:12 pm

I don't really write any specific genre, although I do try to stay away from Sci-Fi/Fantasy and Horror (even though I do sometimes read those).

Adopted mother to a cat named Charlotte, and grandmother to 3 kittens.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

15 Apr 2013, 11:18 pm

I like science fiction and fantasy set in completely made up worlds. I prefer to keep my writing on planet Earth, though, because making a while new world and planet is a confusing and difficult task, and just mentioning one or describing one is more than enough for me.

AnniPierrot
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Apr 2013, 1:10 am

Gothic, sci fi, supernatural.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2013, 5:02 am

Multiple, I don't think there is one label that can be slapped on everything I've written. However, generally it tends to be fantasy or gothic oriented.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

namaste
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2013, 5:04 am

As of now i write blogs
and poems

but would love to write a fiction based on my lifes story

Any writers here whose books are published?/

MisterSpock
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2013, 7:27 am

I'm very diverse in my writings. I used to write mostly fantasy, then sci-fi. Some of the original sci-fi stuff is fantastic. Currently, I have almost finished a feature length screenplay, that is somewhere between drama and fomcom. I also have a cri.e thriller in the works. I enjoy the challenge of serious writing, as my naturally developed style is a blend of Douglas Adams, Terry Pratchett, Bill Bryson, and of course, my own special dial something.