Page 7 of 298 [ 4761 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 298  Next

RainSong
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2007, 11:16 am

The Lust Lizard of Melancholy Cove by Christopher Moore. Oh so funny, but oh so inappropriate.

Three years!

dgd1788
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2007, 10:52 am

The Stranger by, Albert Camus

lemon
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2007, 11:03 am

dgd1788 wrote:
The Stranger by, Albert Camus

"L'etranger" ! :D
i've read it when i was 14 or so (long time ago :? )
must have been one of the first books that grabbed me
i still remember the story a little, could it be the main character is a somewhat aspie-ish?

MsTriste
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2007, 5:31 pm

The Best Science Short Stories of 2003, edited by Oliver Sacks.

lau
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2007, 6:09 pm

"A Brief History of Modern Psychology" by Ludy T. Benjamin, Jr.
So far it keeps saying how modern psychology started in America. So I'm 1/4 of the way through the book, and it's just started talking about how various Americans studied under teachers in Germany and took ideas back to the states. Strangely, off the top of my head, Freud, Jung and Adler are the only psychologists I could have named.

aylissa wrote:
The Best Science Short Stories of 2003, edited by Oliver Sacks.

Sounds interesting, aylissa. I've read a few of Sacks' books recently. I hadn't seen that. I must try to get hold of "Uncle Tungsten".

MsTriste
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2007, 6:13 pm

Actually I didn't have the book in front of me. The title is: The Best American Science Writing 2003
Oliver Sacks is one of my favorite authors.

nitro2k01
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Apr 2007, 6:16 pm

Neuromancer by William Gibson (Finally)

RainSong
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2007, 6:20 pm

The Gunslinger by Stephen King. Figured I was getting over my head in the roleplay and decided to learn more. It's not quite like the rest of his writing - the style is distinctly different - but I like it so far.

Three years!

Hans_Solo
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Apr 2007, 6:28 pm

Currently reading: A biography of Michael Strunge, a Danish 80's "punk poet". And a couple of Strunge's works.

lau
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2007, 6:40 pm

nitro2k01 wrote:
Neuromancer by William Gibson (Finally)
I hope you enjoy it. I did... that and his subsequent books.

jimservo
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2007, 1:37 pm

Sacred Causes by Michael Burleigh
(Subtitle: The Clash of Religion and Politics, From the Great War to The War on Terror)

Polemics, you will not find it here, also finishing up

Basic Economics by Thomas Sowell

Inflation, interest rates 8O

T-rav20
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2007, 1:49 pm

On Killing: The Psychological Cost of Learning to Kill in War and Society, By Lt. Col. Dave Grossman

The following statement is True, the preceding statement was False.

I'm A PINEY from my head down to my HINEY.

sunnycat
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2007, 8:37 am

I just finished Congratulations! It's Asperger Syndrome by Jen Birch. I feel like standing up and giving an applause for the author...for being persistent in the pursuit of life and happiness...She seems to be having a great life...Looks like aspies do achieve fulfilling lives in the end...Jerry Newport saying that aspies are social late bloomers and all...It was a sweet memoir, but there were disheartening parts which described some serious mistreatment the author went through... It took me some time to finish the book (about a month) because it was composed of somewhat fragmentalized listing of episodes, which didn't follow chronological order, but in the end did come together...

I've got so many options as to which book I will read next...however regarding AS, I'm thinking I'll start Tony Attwood's The Complete Guide to Asperger's Syndrome.

Ah, how happy I am with my books...:)

RainSong
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2007, 6:21 pm

I'm reading The Torment of Others by Val McDermid. It's so good. It's been awhile since there's been a book that I didn't want to put down.

Sometime this weekend I'm going to have to read an entire book for English class, but I don't know which one yet. I picked up The Lost World by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, but it was so dry that I couldn't get past 100 pages. (I suspect that if it wasn't assigned I might be more open to it.) I think I'll get The Hot Zone, as that seems interesting enough. If not, I'll be reading 10 Little Indians by Agatha Christie. Not that I'm a fan of her style, but her books are usually a fairly quick read.

Three years!

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

20 Apr 2007, 6:31 pm

The Glass Lake by Maeve Binchy. I'm surprised that I like it, I've avoided her books for years, I thought they frivolous. It's not Tolstoy but it's a good read.

kiki3
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Apr 2007, 6:44 pm

Claradoon wrote:
The Glass Lake by Maeve Binchy. I'm surprised that I like it, I've avoided her books for years, I thought they frivolous. It's not Tolstoy but it's a good read.

Oh, I absolutely LOVED that book!! !! ! I'm a Maeve Binchy fan, in general, but this book was the BEST!! ! Just seeing your post about it made me happy. :D I'm not much for reading book more than once, but I'll probably read this one again some time.