Page 214 of 297 [ 4752 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 211, 212, 213, 214, 215, 216, 217 ... 297  Next

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2018, 11:52 am

Sianann wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
Sianann wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
The Cambridge Companion to the Brontës, Edited by Heather Glen

Yes, I'm that predictable.

I daydream anout having a massive oak bookcase filled with a copy of every version of Wuthering Heights ever published. Sigh.

WAIT WHAT?! DO I HAVE A PARTNER IN MY LOVE OF THIS BOOK???? :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:
I have a walnut "Brontë Cabinet" with 49 (soon to be 58) Brontë books -- multiple biographies of each of them including Branwell and Patrick, social histories, poetry, juvenilia and novels -- multiple copies of every novel. WH is my thing. It's my spirit novel and unending obsession, along with Emily.

:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

O, lol, perhaps!

I read WH every year for years...not so in the last few years. I used to have biographies, etc. but my interests started to cast a bigger net and I gave books away (I know, I know...) in order to make room for other worlds. I actually went to Haworth two decades ago as a sort of pilgrimage...the house is a museum but I was not happy walking around it as I felt it to be so very intrusive on Emily’s still lingering sense of privacy. However, the moors were absolutely beautiful.

I am so impressed with your book-filled walnut Brontë cabinet...sounds like a work of art in itself. :heart:

How nice to hear from you! I also read WH once a year, always in the late autumn so I might enjoy tumultuous storms and dreary weather turning to snow along with Lockwood's travels. My ancestors were woolcombers who lived in Haworth at the time of the Brontës, and for generations beforehand, most having been baptized and / or buried by Patrick himself at St. Michael's. I'm intensely drawn to the area but also aware of Emily's desire for privacy. What a shame you gave away your books. If you decide to reread WH, let me know. I'd love to have a Brontë book club :) By the way, The Cambridge Companion is extraordinary. I love Juliet Barker's work in particular.

Do you think you will seek an assessment for neurodiversity?

Sianann
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Jun 2018, 1:49 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Sianann wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
Sianann wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:

I daydream anout having a massive oak bookcase filled with a copy of every version of Wuthering Heights ever published. Sigh.

WAIT WHAT?! DO I HAVE A PARTNER IN MY LOVE OF THIS BOOK???? :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:
I have a walnut "Brontë Cabinet" with 49 (soon to be 58) Brontë books -- multiple biographies of each of them including Branwell and Patrick, social histories, poetry, juvenilia and novels -- multiple copies of every novel. WH is my thing. It's my spirit novel and unending obsession, along with Emily.

O, lol, perhaps!

I read WH every year for years...not so in the last few years. I used to have biographies, etc. but my interests started to cast a bigger net and I gave books away (I know, I know...) in order to make room for other worlds. I actually went to Haworth two decades ago as a sort of pilgrimage...the house is a museum but I was not happy walking around it as I felt it to be so very intrusive on Emily’s still lingering sense of privacy. However, the moors were absolutely beautiful.

I am so impressed with your book-filled walnut Brontë cabinet...sounds like a work of art in itself. :heart:

How nice to hear from you! I also read WH once a year, always in the late autumn so I might enjoy tumultuous storms and dreary weather turning to snow along with Lockwood's travels. My ancestors were woolcombers who lived in Haworth at the time of the Brontës, and for generations beforehand, most having been baptized and / or buried by Patrick himself at St. Michael's. I'm intensely drawn to the area but also aware of Emily's desire for privacy. What a shame you gave away your books. If you decide to reread WH, let me know. I'd love to have a Brontë book club :) By the way, The Cambridge Companion is extraordinary. I love Juliet Barker's work in particular.

Wow! The only connection I have with the Brontes is that Patrick was Irish...a very tenuous link indeed! Yes, and I did have a copy of Barker's biography, which I thoroughly enjoyed and now feel an overwhelming urge to get my hands on again. I would love to reread WH and I think October would be the perfect month (it's my favourite month of the year...although November was vying for top spot last year with its very Gothic-romantic vibe and lots of dawn mist here in the Midlands). I will let you know so that we can read at the same time.

Hmm, I will seek an assessment eventually. I'm so comfortable with being considered 'different' now that the need for a diagnosis just isn't there...unlike many other aspects in my life that have me super-focused...but yes, I would like to know one way or the other, in time.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2018, 2:12 pm

Sianann wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
Sianann wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
Sianann wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:

O, lol, perhaps!

Wow! The only connection I have with the Brontes is that Patrick was Irish...a very tenuous link indeed! Yes, and I did have a copy of Barker's biography, which I thoroughly enjoyed and now feel an overwhelming urge to get my hands on again. I would love to reread WH and I think October would be the perfect month (it's my favourite month of the year...although November was vying for top spot last year with its very Gothic-romantic vibe and lots of dawn mist here in the Midlands). I will let you know so that we can read at the same time.

Hmm, I will seek an assessment eventually. I'm so comfortable with being considered 'different' now that the need for a diagnosis just isn't there...unlike many other aspects in my life that have me super-focused...but yes, I would like to know one way or the other, in time.

It's a deal! October and November are my favourite months as well!! Wow! You're my kindred spirit as I love dark weather too!

I was only assessed this year and I found it extremely valuable.

Keep in touch!

Isabella :)

Redxk
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2018, 3:04 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Sianann wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
Sianann wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
Sianann wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:

O, lol, perhaps!

It's a deal! October and November are my favourite months as well!! Wow! You're my kindred spirit as I love dark weather too!

Keep in touch!

My favorite month is October as well... seriously! I would love to reread WH and join in on the discussion.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2018, 3:07 pm

Redxk wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
Sianann wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
Sianann wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
Sianann wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:

O, lol, perhaps!

Keep in touch!

My favorite month is October as well... seriously! I would love to reread WH and join in on the discussion.

Please do!! !! That would be marvellous!! !

Readers, take your mark! :heart:

Sianann
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Jun 2018, 3:11 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Sianann wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
Sianann wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
Sianann wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:

O, lol, perhaps!

Keep in touch!

Ah, brilliant!

I'm already looking forward to it :heart:

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2018, 3:22 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Redxk wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
Sianann wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
Sianann wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
Sianann wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:

O, lol, perhaps!

Keep in touch!

Please do!! ! ! That would be marvellous!! !

Redxk is a very kind and well-read academic, Sianann! We'll have fun and recruit more literati along the way!

Have you read Villette? I adore its gloominess, too.

:skull:

Mr.Robot
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2018, 3:25 pm

This...quote ....8O

Sianann
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Jun 2018, 4:01 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
Redxk wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
Sianann wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
Sianann wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
Sianann wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:

O, lol, perhaps!

Keep in touch!

Redxk is a very kind and well-read academic, Sianann! We'll have fun and recruit more literati along the way!

O, welcome - Redxk! Yes, I read Villette many, many years ago. I feel like I need to revisit everything...right now!
This feels like home.

Sianann
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Jun 2018, 4:08 pm

Mr.Robot wrote:
This...quote ....8O

I know! If it was an artwork it would be the lovechild of Bridget Riley and Fiona Banner.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2018, 4:20 pm

Sianann wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
Redxk wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
Sianann wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
Sianann wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
Sianann wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:

O, lol, perhaps!

Keep in touch!

O, welcome - Redxk! Yes, I read Villette many, many years ago. I feel like I need to revisit everything...right now!
This feels like home.

Welcome, welcome! Yes, you're home!
Let your friend know you'd love to have your Brontë books returned, if he / she has finished with them (wink)!

:heart: :heart: :heart: ... and I love your Wittgenstein quote, as well!

:study:

Sianann
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Jun 2018, 4:42 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Sianann wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
Redxk wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
Sianann wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
Sianann wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
Sianann wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:

O, lol, perhaps!

Keep in touch!

This feels like home.

Welcome, welcome! Yes, you're home!
Let your friend know you'd love to have your Brontë books returned, if he / she has finished with them (wink)!

:heart: :heart: :heart: ... and I love your Wittgenstein quote, as well!

:study:

I actually gave my Bronte collection to one of my sisters years ago...we had the same interests and so it was like a safe harbour for the books...until we became estranged three years ago and that was that. I'll start collecting again.

Yes, Wittgenstein is one of my obsessions, lol. Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one must be silent. Love it. :heart:

TheSpectrum
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2018, 4:44 pm

'Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll & Mr Hyde' by Robert Louis Stevenson.
Nice book in the public domain, very fitting read atm.

Mr.Robot
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2018, 5:09 pm

Sianann wrote:
Mr.Robot wrote:
This...quote ....8O

I know! If it was an artwork it would be the lovechild of Bridget Riley and Fiona Banner.

:heart:
I have to love this comment!

Sianann
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Jun 2018, 5:40 pm

Mr.Robot wrote:
Sianann wrote:
Mr.Robot wrote:
This...quote ....8O

Yay, that's so feel good!

Mr.Robot
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2018, 7:45 pm

Sianann wrote:
Mr.Robot wrote:
Sianann wrote:
Mr.Robot wrote:
This...quote ....8O

Yay, that's so feel good!

You're now my favorite Irish person :mrgreen:

My wife and I are visual artists ourselves, so we are excited whenever someone's knowledge goes beyond what is considered classical...