Any Cellists or other Classical Musicians?

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Do you play an instrument?
Yes 83%  83%  [ 15 ]
No 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
I used to 17%  17%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 18

allegrorules
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

18 Jun 2013, 10:19 pm

I have a classical music obsession and recently decided to become a professional cellist. I have thought about it before but had previously been tunnel-visioned on a career in research veterinary medicine. I am 16 and have been taking lessons for 8 years and have been around the cello since 3 years of age - my brother played the cello and I would play his cello backwards (I'm left-handed). I practice for 4-6 hours a day and am going to begin taking lessons twice a week (I'm very excited about that). I am hoping to get into Curtis as it seems perfect for me - small school, meet's individual student's needs, etc. - but understand that it is pretty difficult to get into.

Does anyone else play an instrument? If so, are you thinking of a professional career? Why or why not? How long have you been playing, how much do you practice and on which pieces are you working?

rabidmonkey4262
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2013, 10:36 pm

I've been playing piano for quite a while. I have a bachelor's in music and I'm currently doing well as a private teacher. When I was in high school, I was under the impression that music and science were mutually exclusive and I had to choose one over the other. I chose to major in music, but also went through all of the basic science courses: biology, physics, chem, etc. Seeing as I'm in grad school for biology while still working as a musician, I happily failed to sacrifice one for the other.

If you're still thinking about veterinary medicine, or think "future you" still might want to go to vet school, I'd recommend a university music school over a conservatory. That way you can take science prereqs and music classes concurrently and not feel pressured. You've probably heard this from several people already, but trying to find work as a musician is difficult. If you go to a university, you can still have all the credentials to be a professional musician, plus you can take non-music courses to make yourself more flexible. Of course, I'm just telling you what worked for me. If you're 100% sure you want music and nothing else, then go to Curtis. I'm just saying you'll have a lot more career choices if you diversify your education.

nebrets
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2013, 11:24 pm

I play the oboe and the piano. I love musi. And still practice and play regularly but that is for fun. My passion was for science, so I pursued that in school and I am now in grad school for engineering.

TornadoEvil
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2013, 11:34 pm

I have played the cello for thirteen years, though my practice habits have always sucked. I am an undergrad Electrical Engineering major who plays on the side. Going to a school with a decent music program is a good way to meet people to play with. I like engineering work as much as I like music. You will find a lot of people do both the sciences and music. I always though I couldn't make near much money as an professional musician as I could as a engineer. You definitely practice a lot.

Beppieiscool
Toucan
Toucan

18 Jun 2013, 11:36 pm

Flautist for nearly eight years now. I don't plan to be a professional, but I plan to go into video game design. It could help with planning the sound track or just interacting with the people who do this, and not be that "guy" or "girl" in my case. I only practice when school is in session. Reason for this is because I'm in the school's band. The teacher in charge complains about every little thing we do wrong, when frankly we are very advanced for our band. We mainly do level four music(this is college level and above). The last few pieces we worked on was First Suite For Military Band in E flat with all three movements, The Seal Lullaby, songs for each of the branches of the military, and various other pieces which I don't remember the names of.
Those two songs were for me personally the hardest, and perhaps that's why I remember their names. Both are beautiful pieces and I would recomend a listen to.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngTnToAs4uU&feature=share&list=FLBXetRU6U3FB3tD5Na1KgzA[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ya4OZ7_vz_c[/youtube]

The world is a mess.
The mess is full of color, beauty, laughter, happiness, sadness, pain, misery, and everyone can relate to this crazy world. For we all live

Erlonman
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Jun 2013, 10:09 am

I have played classical guitar for about 4 years off and on.

allegrorules

19 Jun 2013, 10:12 am

Thank you, everyone, for the advice. It is nice to get to know other musicians.

AScomposer13413
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2013, 11:27 am

That's the kind of music I compose :D

Then I have done my job

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2013, 6:16 pm

I used to play clarinet, until carpal tunnel screwed up my right wrist.

I currently own a vintage Penzel-Mueller Artiste model clarinet, which I'm using with a Hite mouthpiece, when I do pick the horn up to play.

I wish I never would have sold the horn I had in college, a 1976-vintage Buffet R-13, fitted with a Borbeck #13 mouthpiece. That horn had such a sweet sound that It would give anyone diabetes. My biggest gripes with it were it was always woefully flat in pitch, even with a shorter barrel, and the keywork was touchier than most Loree oboes. All I had to do was look at the horn crossways, and BAM, the damned bridge keys would go out of alignment.

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2013, 6:24 pm

rabidmonkey4262 wrote:
I've been playing piano for quite a while. I have a bachelor's in music and I'm currently doing well as a private teacher. When I was in high school, I was under the impression that music and science were mutually exclusive and I had to choose one over the other. I chose to major in music, but also went through all of the basic science courses: biology, physics, chem, etc. Seeing as I'm in grad school for biology while still working as a musician, I happily failed to sacrifice one for the other.

If you're still thinking about veterinary medicine, or think "future you" still might want to go to vet school, I'd recommend a university music school over a conservatory. That way you can take science prereqs and music classes concurrently and not feel pressured. You've probably heard this from several people already, but trying to find work as a musician is difficult. If you go to a university, you can still have all the credentials to be a professional musician, plus you can take non-music courses to make yourself more flexible. Of course, I'm just telling you what worked for me. If you're 100% sure you want music and nothing else, then go to Curtis. I'm just saying you'll have a lot more career choices if you diversify your education.

Don't Discount Eastman Peabody, or Westminster Choir College. Eastman is actually part of the University of Rochester, Westminster is affiliated with Ryder College and Peabody is connected with Johns Hopkins. Isn't the New England Conservatory of Music affiliated with either UMass or Harvard?

Amberlena
Toucan
Toucan

21 Jun 2013, 9:44 pm

I'm a violinist.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2013, 9:53 pm

The flute,I took private lessons and had first chair.I have ulnar nerve damage in the right hand from a childhood injury which makes it hard to play for an extended time.I also have an old violin I fool around with some.

Stargazer43
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2013, 5:36 pm

I used to play the clarinet and piano when I was in middle school, but haven't touched them in years. I really wish I had kept them up, it's one of my biggest regrets lol. I may try to take up the piano again once my life calms down a bit but I'm still not sure, since apparently it's more difficult to learn an instrument when you're older.

PS: http://www.talkclassical.com/strings/

That's an excellent community-based site for all aspects of classical music, but they also have specific sections where people who play certain instruments can talk to each other.