What if someone said your writing is like an AI's?

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

sodepressed
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

20 Sep 2023, 12:13 am

Not sure if it's supposed to be negative or not, since they've recently become so interesting... might be that I spend so much time reading AI output, too...

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2023, 6:50 am

I have never been told that.

I suppose we live in an age where such a comparison can be made, however.

And So It Goes
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2023, 8:05 am

I've recently been accused of this.

I'm also cast raised eyebrows, when my communication skills are often so far removed from my written ones. 8O

"And I've embraced the calamity, with a detachment and a passive disinterest."

"I hear voices...But I ignore them and just carry on killing."

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2023, 4:14 am

I hope to God no one ever accuses me of such a thing. AI threatens to put anyone involved in the arts out of business, and as a writer I genuinely feel spooked at that prospect.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2023, 4:22 am

While not openly suspected of originating with an AI, the essays, instructions, and manuals I wrote for my last employer were often questioned as to their origins.

"Where did you copy this from?"
"Who wrote it for you?"
"Where did you get these numbers?"
"Who helped you?"

As if one person (me), working alone, could not possibly be capable of producing results of such high quality.

:roll:

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Esme
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Oct 2023, 12:31 pm

I'm dyslexic and rely on Chat-GPT to write my quest chains for me, so I'd be flattered! :mrgreen:

Seriously though, I don't have an issue with AI writing as long as there is a human directing the overall plot. You still need a person to manage the higher level structure of the writing, as AI seems a bit useless at anything requiring extended context. It's great for people like me who can churn out ideas for characters and plot, but suck at the lower level content creation part of writing.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2023, 4:09 pm

Well, talking about AI is in vogue these days or (if I interpret their meaning right) they'd have said "your writing is robotic," or, much better, give you a good book about how to make your writing more colourful and interesting. That way it would be less of a put-down, which is always wise when trying to give constructive criticism. And as has been suggested already, AI is getting hard to distinguish from human writing.

I like a few whizz-bangs if I'm reading for pleasure, as long as they don't distract me from the content. If I'm reading to acquire information, I hate them. Just tell me what I need to know and let me get on with my life, I cry.