Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2018, 1:03 am

Uhh I need to show my mom and her boyfriend spotify. They have a CD changer and its so clunky like one of them could get spotify and they would have all the music at their fingertips...except tool, who doesn't release their music on there. But they have a CD changer and spotify is like 10X easier. Like the beatles they have all of it on spotify but my moms boyfriend alwyas insists on listening to CDs of them. but they have every Beatles song on spotify.

Butterfly88
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2018, 5:32 am

I read this title as CD charger, lol. I was like who charges as CD? Anyway, despite it being clunky some people like the physical albums. I still have some CDs and I know for me it's nice they have them organized into an album. For me sometimes it's hard to remember the name of a song but I may now it's toward the beginning or end of a certain CD so I just look at the back cover and it's there. Everyone has their own thing. There's a big market for old media on eBay and some people are still using records or cassettes, at least your mom and her boyfriend have advanced to CDs.

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2018, 7:56 am

This is how I feel when my parents still keep a VHS player

Sandpiper
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Apr 2018, 11:53 am

Maybe they are just of a generation where CDs were the normal way of listening to music so that is what they prefer. I really wish I hadn't sold all my vinyl records years ago as I really miss the little ritual involved in playing them. I also like to have the sleeve notes and artwork to look at whilst I am listening. Listening to music on the internet seems a bit clinical and lacking in something that I can't quite define, a bit like reading books in electronic format rather than having the physical book in my hands. It is probably just a generational thing.

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2018, 12:16 am

I still buy cd's. Cd's are still bought at a nice snip and vinyl are going strong.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

24 Apr 2018, 12:47 am

I still sometimes buy CDs too but that's if I cant DL it or it's cheaper to buy the physical CD than it is to pay for the DL; used CDs are pretty cheap sometimes. I rip em on my comp cuz I mostly listen to my music on there.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2018, 3:05 pm

A couple years ago didn't you yourself say that you collected vinyl?

Folks my age like physical media. I both download and upload stuff to my computer.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2018, 3:57 pm

Butterfly88 wrote:
I read this title as CD charger, lol. I was like who charges as CD? Anyway, despite it being clunky some people like the physical albums. I still have some CDs and I know for me it's nice they have them organized into an album. For me sometimes it's hard to remember the name of a song but I may now it's toward the beginning or end of a certain CD so I just look at the back cover and it's there. Everyone has their own thing. There's a big market for old media on eBay and some people are still using records or cassettes, at least your mom and her boyfriend have advanced to CDs.

I have CDs cassettes and vinyls, and I listen to those but I've listened to them all multiple times and buying CD's and Vinyls can get to be expensive. I mean I don't think they should get rid of all their CDs or anything, but incorporating spotify would make things simpler I'd think.

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2018, 11:40 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Butterfly88 wrote:

I have CDs cassettes and vinyls, and I listen to those but I've listened to them all multiple times and buying CD's and Vinyls can get to be expensive. I mean I don't think they should get rid of all their CDs or anything, but incorporating spotify would make things simpler I'd think.

The sound quality is a lot better on physical media.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2018, 1:40 am

I think a CD changer would be cool, I'm always changing them out manually :oops: Which can be a little dangerous sometimes when I'm driving.

I don't know about Spotify, but I've experienced Pandora, and it was awful. It was about the same as radio, but with less commercials, and a smaller song selection. The Black Sabbath station was okay (but it's Ozzy exclusive), but the MetallicA station was mostly jock rock like Limp Bizkit =|

I also think it's a huge waste how people are always streaming video and audio, and then complaining about how Internet is too expensive and doesn't provide enough bandwidth...uhhh... :roll:

I'll listen on YouTube sometimes if it's something I just want to check out, or if there's a video, but otherwise I would prefer to have it on CD or at least MP3 (maybe FLAC if it's something rare and/or out-of-print that I really want). Then I don't have to worry about buffering, or commercials, or track orders, or how good the Internet speeds are (of which, my car has zero).

Sandpiper wrote:
I also like to have the sleeve notes and artwork to look at whilst I am listening. Listening to music on the internet seems a bit clinical and lacking in something that I can't quite define, a bit like reading books in electronic format rather than having the physical book in my hands.

I agree.

I don't know if I would compare it to ebooks, though, since reading books on a screen causes a lot more eye fatigue than paper does (plus there's the theory that blue light disrupts your sleep patterns).

thewrll wrote:
The sound quality is a lot better on physical media.

Very true. Did you know that a few years back, they started mixing digitally distributed music specifically so that it would sound better through cheap Apple earbuds, rather than home audio speakers? Yuck.

Some of these albums actually state whether or not they were mixed properly, but many I'm sure do not.

SnailHail
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 May 2018, 9:39 am

I'm 21 and I buy CDs even though everyone else my age uses streaming services. I prefer physical over digital because it has better sound quality and I can rip the audio files into whatever bitrate and format I want. For me most albums I want to buy the CD version is pretty cheap most of the time a brand new CD cost the same as it would digital or a dollar or two more so I figure why the hell not? Plus since I buy them from Amazon and have an Amazon prime account I get the Autorip feature for a lot of the CDs I buy, which means I can download/stream songs soon as I order the CD if its supported. But since just about every CD with autorip has 2 day shipping I don't mind waiting to listen to the songs until the CD arrives.

I don't like streaming music because the quality is much lower than a digital file and much more worse than a physical. These aspie ears allow me to pick up the smallest of sounds and slightest differences I can hear quality differences even around 1000kbps. It cost money just to be able to stream a song at 320kbps which is the limit for most streaming services. I'm also on a very cheap phone plan with a 500mb data limit so streaming songs would easily eat up my limit within a couple of days.

I also prefer to buy CDs to support my favorite bands and artist directly and more quickly. I don't listen to enough songs or albums on repeat for them to make any sort of money in time through ads. Especially since a lot of the music I listen to isn't very mainstream it makes it harder for lesser known artist and groups to make any sort of ad revenue. Imagine it like this Taylor Swift gets 5 cents for every song play meanwhile a band I'd listen to would probably only get 0.000000001 cent for every song play. I'd be incredibly burnt out on my band's music by the time I generate enough money for them to get actually get.

Some of the music I listen to is not only just old but obscure too which means it is hard to find on the internet. There have been a couple of songs/albums I couldn't find for purchase digitally or even youtube uploads of them. Even if I do manage to find it, its usually in poor quality. Luckily thanks to places like Discogs can I find just about anything there for sale no matter how obscure it is :D .

Other then that I just like looking at the album art. Some of the CDs I buy have some cool bonuses like hidden/bonus tracks, music videos, commentary, how to crafts, games, and etc.

SabbraCadabra wrote:
Very true. Did you know that a few years back, they started mixing digitally distributed music specifically so that it would sound better through cheap Apple earbuds, rather than home audio speakers? Yuck.

Some of these albums actually state whether or not they were mixed properly, but many I'm sure do not.

Yup a lot of mainstream music these days is made with cheap $5 earbuds and overpriced low quality bass blasters known as Beats by Dre in mind nowadays which probably explains why a lot of it sounds like crap to me. Artist have to pander to the lowest common denominator in the sound spectrum which is probably a big reason why music nowadays lacks so much detail and technicality because they have to make sure it sounds good on average Joe's crappy earbuds or Beats.