Page 1 of 4 [ 51 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2013, 7:49 am

Feeling inspired by Alex Plank and Mikassyna, I have decided to give it a shot this year.

http://nanowrimo.org

Anyone else going to try National Novel Writing Month this year?

LAlien
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Oct 2013, 11:44 am

I think I might :)

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2013, 11:54 am

I'll probably give it a miss.

Thanks for asking though :D

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2013, 6:11 pm

LAlien wrote:

Awesome!
:D :D :D

Go for it. I don't expect to hit 50K words, but I will aim for it--and who knows. If the book is in there, it will come out, even if it takes longer than a month.

Do you have any plot ideas, outlines, roughed out characters or themes?

I have a bunch of ideas percolating, I think I am going to start trying to lay down some ground work this week.

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2013, 6:13 pm

babybird wrote:
I'll probably give it a miss.

Thanks for asking though :D

They say it's the thought that counts---though in the context of writing, it turns out to be the writing that counts, not the the thought, and it's counted in words. 8O 8O 8O

LAlien
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Oct 2013, 8:43 pm

Adamantium wrote:
LAlien wrote:

Awesome!
:D :D :D

Go for it. I don't expect to hit 50K words, but I will aim for it--and who knows. If the book is in there, it will come out, even if it takes longer than a month.

Do you have any plot ideas, outlines, roughed out characters or themes?

I have a bunch of ideas percolating, I think I am going to start trying to lay down some ground work this week.

I don't expect to hit 50k either, but it will definitely give me a start. I really like to do semi-autobiographical stuff (probably because it is hard for me to think about how people might react to things, so my characters may be really similar to myself, my brothers and sister, cousins, friends...), so it will probably be your typical YA novel. Somebody might have superpowers, though... :lol:
What about you? I will also be figuring things out this week, like a schedule for writing (daily word count goal, when can I write, managing it with school and dance...) and more plot planning. :)

octobertiger
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2013, 6:46 am

It's surprisingly easy to hit the 50K if you give yourself a chance to get addicted to it.

I also don't think that having a rigid plot, roadmap etc. before you start is always useful to crossing the 50K finish line. In fact, it can feel like a mill stone as one goes along. Then, it all depends on the writer.

I've decided I'm not going to do it this year. I'm going to write and record 12 songs from scratch, instead. No pre-planning and no past material involved. The thought scares me a little - which is why it's worth doing!

coffeebean
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2013, 8:59 am

This will be my first year. :)

I'm taking the few days before it begins to brainstorm a little and write up a synopsis.

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2013, 10:04 am

LAlien wrote:
I don't expect to hit 50k either, but it will definitely give me a start. I really like to do semi-autobiographical stuff (probably because it is hard for me to think about how people might react to things, so my characters may be really similar to myself, my brothers and sister, cousins, friends...), so it will probably be your typical YA novel. Somebody might have superpowers, though... :lol:
What about you? I will also be figuring things out this week, like a schedule for writing (daily word count goal, when can I write, managing it with school and dance...) and more plot planning. :)

I don't have an outline or a synopsis, but I have some rough ideas about characters, locations and themes---sort of contemporary magical/psychological realism with a number of intersecting elements from conspiracy theories, fringe religion and science fiction. If I can get anything like the general tone of "Radio Free Albemuth" but with shades of "100 Years of Solitude" I will be very happy. Hell, If I can get people to want to keep turning pages and conclude "this doesn't suck" I'll be happy.

octobertiger wrote:
It's surprisingly easy to hit the 50K if you give yourself a chance to get addicted to it.
Very encouraging to hear! As the father of twins with a full time day job, I doubt I will have the opportunity. But I intend to make up for low productivity weekdays with weekend marathons. We'll see.

I am hugely impressed that you have discovered the relative ease of it for yourself!

octobertiger wrote:
I've decided I'm not going to do it this year. I'm going to write and record 12 songs from scratch, instead. No pre-planning and no past material involved. The thought scares me a little - which is why it's worth doing!

Sounds fantastic and makes me think of Jonathan Coulton and the "thing a week" songs--among which I count some of my favorite songs ("Chiron Beta Prime," "Creepy Doll".)
Please share with us, if you can! I can see the creativity ready to burst out of you in bright and shiny chords, right through the pixels on this screen! Let the notes flow free, man!

coffeebean wrote:
This will be my first year. :)

I'm taking the few days before it begins to brainstorm a little and write up a synopsis.

Great!

I hope it goes well and the words pour out like water from a shattering ice dam!

I hope we an all encourage one another through the month! :D :D :D

coffeebean
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2013, 10:47 am

Adamantium wrote:
Great!

I hope it goes well and the words pour out like water from a shattering ice dam!

Thanks!

A few online friends are doing NaNo, too. They're looking at all this fancy writing software and posting on the forums, and I just need something with space to put words down and time to write. I feel a little out of place. :lol:

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2013, 11:14 am

coffeebean wrote:
Adamantium wrote:
Great!

Thanks!

A few online friends are doing NaNo, too. They're looking at all this fancy writing software and posting on the forums, and I just need something with space to put words down and time to write. I feel a little out of place. :lol:

The only software that counts is the stuff that runs on the neurons in your skull! All you need is that plus a pencil or pen and paper, or a word processing system, if you prefer.

I did a test run on the morning commute today and got out about 300 words in a pretty short time using the iPad's on screen keys and the awesome, free text editor "Wisdom writer" I expect I will use word processors, text editors and pens and pencils at various times through november. The words are the thing!

stardraigh
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2013, 11:50 am

I'm going to attempt it this year. I just hope I actually make time for it. I easily get busy with other things. The last two times, which were in 03 & 04, I managed my time very poorly in addition to other problems which I've since solved. Hopefully I don't screw up.

My Blog
Deviantart Page

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2013, 12:37 pm

stardraigh wrote:
I'm going to attempt it this year. I just hope I actually make time for it. I easily get busy with other things. The last two times, which were in 03 & 04, I managed my time very poorly in addition to other problems which I've since solved. Hopefully I don't screw up.

I don't think you CAN screw up. Even if you only get 800 words out of it, if you give it a try, you will have created something that did not exist before and that can be worked into something great.

Good luck! I'll be cheering you on, when I'm not busy stringing letters into words and words into story. 8) 8) 8)

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

28 Oct 2013, 6:00 pm

I did it last year, so this year is no different. :D

stardraigh
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2013, 8:31 am

Adamantium wrote:
stardraigh wrote:

I don't think you CAN screw up. Even if you only get 800 words out of it, if you give it a try, you will have created something that did not exist before and that can be worked into something great.

Good luck! I'll be cheering you on, when I'm not busy stringing letters into words and words into story. 8) 8) 8)

Thanks Adamantium,

Right now I'm scrambling to get my costume ready for Youmacon this weekend. I had really bad sleep last night totalling about 3.5 hours, and managed to get in 2k+ words out this morning. Of late it's been situations like this that are the only time I can get writing out. But I try anyway. Last night I was up late costuming, and tonight, I'm going to be up late costuming. Same with tomorrow. This is how it's been of late. I didn't realized how bad I would manage my time up to now. The writing is there waiting to occur though, so hopefully, I don't overwhelm myself with non-writing tasks.

My Blog
Deviantart Page

octobertiger
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2013, 1:39 pm

Adamantium wrote:

Quote:
octobertiger wrote:
Very encouraging to hear! As the father of twins with a full time day job, I doubt I will have the opportunity. But I intend to make up for low productivity weekdays with weekend marathons. We'll see.

I am hugely impressed that you have discovered the relative ease of it for yourself!

Oh, please don't think I'm saying it's a walk in the park. No way! First time I crossed the 50K, it was a brilliant feeling for me. I didn't know I could get the job done, I really doubted myself and ten days in was so difficult to get past. Then, it started pouring. Once that happens, and you get addicted - YEAH BABY!! ! Wonderful feeling.

IF I CAN DO IT, ANYBODY CAN! :D

Quote:
octobertiger wrote:

Sounds fantastic and makes me think of Jonathan Coulton and the "thing a week" songs--among which I count some of my favorite songs ("Chiron Beta Prime," "Creepy Doll".)
Please share with us, if you can! I can see the creativity ready to burst out of you in bright and shiny chords, right through the pixels on this screen! Let the notes flow free, man!

Yeah? Okay :D Chords, samples, stacks of effects and atonal twiddly solos. And a recorder. Anything that I can grab. It could be crap - but it'll be Magical Crap!