And me :D

Donate to the Help make a Film Foundation
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr

Veresae
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2007, 9:44 pm

EdwardF wrote:
Tarantino- he tries to work his individual obsessions into all of his movies, or so they say...
Spielberg is nerdy, I suppose, but he's more of a rounded individual- whatever that means- than Tarantino.

I have trouble seeing QT as an aspie, actually. Having obsessions and quirks doesn't make someone aspie. Not saying he's not a talented director, I just don't see how he's aspie.

maldoror
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2007, 4:04 pm

Yeah, Tarantino isn't aspie. He's just an annoying person.

Alternative
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2007, 4:19 pm

maldoror wrote:
Yeah, Tarantino isn't aspie. He's just an annoying person.

Tarantino has an IQ of 165 is dyslexic, and has a foot fetish.

maldoror
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2007, 5:02 pm

He claims he has an IQ of 165. Just like Sharon Stone claimed she was a member of mensa (which mensa contradicted).

From my point of view, a person with an IQ of 165 could not have created the stinky pile of poo known as Kill Bill. :?

ZanneMarie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2007, 5:09 pm

gloomywtregret wrote:
Look up either Tim Burton or David Lynch
Aspies if I ever saw one.
I've heard of others...
I always liked the idea of Filmmaking but I probably won't pursue it.

I so agree on David Lynch! Who else would keep Rafaella di Laurentiis diseased uterus in a jar in his office! I like him as a person much more than his movies, although Eraserhead is probably one of the strangest movies ever made. Interesting that my husband took on me on a first date to see three of his short films and Eraserhead. That was in 1980. It's probably when I decided he was interesting. That and his affection for old punk rock.

Tim Burton - I would agree and the same goes for Helena Bonham Carter. It explains why they get along.

I wonder about Gus van Sant. (Is it Sant or Zant?) I would think there's something going on there.

I've always heard Spielberg was and I'd have to go with that as well. The people I knew at Universal who worked with him said he had horrible hygeine and bizarre behavior. They were NTs, so that could be their way of saying he was AS.

Kubrick - yeah, I can see that.

I was also thinking about actors the other day and I'd have to go with Guy Pearce and Johnny Depp. I'd say Nikolas Cage should probably take the test as well.

Last edited by ZanneMarie on 17 Feb 2007, 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ZanneMarie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2007, 5:15 pm

Veresae wrote:
AnonymousAnonymous wrote:
Steven Spielberg
David Lynch
Tim Burton
Guillermo del Toro
Alfonso Cuaron
Charlie Kaufman
Zach Helm

You sure about Alfonso? He's a great director but how is he aspie?

Guillermo isn't aspie. He's schizophrenic. Watch some interviews with him about Pan's Labyrinth. He's said he had "lucid dreams" (in other words, hallucinations) of a faun as a child. If you have schizophrenia, then that overlays AS like AS overlays OCD. Though, I don't really see how he's AS either.

Kaufman I could definately see as aspie, though. Adaptation was certainly self-absorbed (and strange) enough. (Not necessarily in a bad way, though.)

I don't agree with your statement about lucid dreams. I actually see and hear stories in my head like movies and that is how I write. The difference between that and Schizophrenia is that I don't believe that is real. I know it's only going on in my mind. I also listen/watch it or not at will and use it how I want. And none of it has made me paranoid (probably since I know it isn't real). People also see math and music in their heads. That doesn't necessarily make them Schizophrenic.

lemon
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2007, 1:46 pm

ZanneMarie wrote:
Tim Burton - I would agree and the same goes for Helena Bonham Carter. It explains why they get along.

helena bonham carter is my favorite actress, i've told this to a lot of people (people who like films and talking about it) but nobody knows who she is, nice to encounter here name here ...
:D

ZanneMarie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2007, 9:03 am

Have you read her interviews and seen her interviewed. I'd be very surprised if she isn't Aspie. In real life she is most like the characters she plays in Fight Club, Howard's End and The Heart of Me. She is very off center. She dresses quirky and wears her hair quirky. She lived with her parents well into her thirties even though she was working from her teen years. The things she says are just so Aspie-ish.

I've seen her in films since at least 1985 when A Room with a View and Lady Jane both came out. I love her. Have you seen 'Til Human Voices Wake Us? That movie is very personal to Michael Petroni who directed. It makes you wonder about him. I don't know his work, but the fact that the movie is so personal to him and Guy Pearce and Helena Bonham Carter both identified with it makes me curious about him.

maldoror
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2007, 3:19 pm

ZanneMarie wrote:

I was also thinking about actors the other day and I'd have to go with Guy Pearce and Johnny Depp. I'd say Nikolas Cage should probably take the test as well.

Hey, pretentiousness and autism are two fundamentally different things. (That goes for David Lynch also).

dgd1788
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2007, 5:24 pm

No-one answered my question!! !

Did these directors admit to being on the spectrum???

maldoror
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2007, 6:26 pm

As a general rule of thumb, you can assume no one has confirmed a diagnosis. the only exception I think is Spielberg.

ZanneMarie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2007, 10:45 pm

maldoror wrote:
ZanneMarie wrote:

Hey, pretentiousness and autism are two fundamentally different things. (That goes for David Lynch also).

For which ones? Have you ever read about Guy Pearce? He's got some things going on. I'd like to see him diagnosed. And his sister is either on the spectrum or has a different problem.

Johnny Depp may be popular, but I don't think he's pretentious at all. I think he doesn't really like all of his fame. He also says some things in interviews that have made me wonder.

Cage, forget that he's an actor. The things he says and are said about him indicate that guy is far off center.

I just want to see them tested. That's all.

maldoror
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2007, 10:52 pm

I was referring to Johnny Depp. I dunno, I have some kind of grudge against him for some reason. *shrug* He seems like a dyed-in-the-wool Hollywood socialite that's constantly trying to project this anti-hollywod image. Sort of like that kid in high school who always loudly complained about how stupid people are in front of his throngs of hipster lackeys.

ZanneMarie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2007, 11:08 pm

He's actually a pretty strange guy in real life. I wasn't really surprised when he took off like that. That might not be his deal, but I would like to see it tested just to know. It's just one of those weird I want to know moments. :D

paolo
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2007, 5:30 pm

I have just seen the bonus additions to the new DVD issuing DrStrangelove. There are many documents on the way Kubrik worked. Extreme perfectionism (up to 20 takes for the same scene), great pressure on the actors and everybody else on the project (Peter Sellers, after finishing the film, where he played three roles, had a severe heart attack). Peter Sellers, extraordinary in this movie, was himself a very disturbed person, having some kind of multiple personalities-no personality. He also played the role of the autistic gardener in “Being There” directed by Ashby. Sellers fought for having the film made and get the part. “He said of the gardener “that’s me”.