Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Dedalus
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

03 May 2014, 3:46 pm

Does anybody think Mark Oliver Everett from Eels has Asperger's?

My case:

1) His autobiography and lyrics (I know you can't judge from lyrics, and they must reflect the human condition if they're so popular, but - like Morrissey - he persists) talk a lot about alienation, not having friends, saying weird things in social situations, spending a lot of time alone in his home, not fitting in.

2) His dad was a famous physicist, Hugh Everett, who came with the Many Worlds Interpretation - this appears to have gone against the grain of scientific thought at the time. Mark Oliver Everett's descriptions of Hugh always mention that he was quiet, that Hugh never got to know his kids, that he disliked physical contact (the only contact Everett can remember is a cigarette burn while passing his father in a small hallway).

3) This documentary for observations on Everett and his father: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnnA3sg ... ED85D0ACBA

4) Strong commitment to ideals: he consistently rejects commercial success in favour of making something "real".

5) Loner personality. Inability to maintain relationships. Depression.

6) Finely honed skills as a musician, even as a child. Talks about how he wouldn't stop drumming. Check out the documentary for more of this.

Probably a few other things that I've forgotten at the moment.

1401b
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2014, 5:30 pm

I don't mean to be an as*hole, but why would it be special if he was ASDish?

I've never heard of him, maybe that's my problem.

Dedalus

03 May 2014, 6:15 pm

It wouldn't be particularly special, it's just a topic of interest. Why would anything be special?

digitalb0y
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 May 2014, 7:51 pm

Yep. I think E (his stage name) is an aspie just by the lyrics in much of his music alone! Then you add his brilliant physicist father who published MWI. Then stood up to Niels Bohr only to get ostracized by him and the physics community, ending up a broken man who then worked on Classified projects for the DoD in DC.

yeah, I can totally see it.

A good read about his father and MWI
http://www.scientificamerican.com/artic ... biography/

1401b
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2014, 8:33 pm

Dedalus wrote:
It wouldn't be particularly special, it's just a topic of interest. Why would anything be special?

OH!
Well that's different then.
I suppose, now that you put it that way, something would be special if someone thought it was special. Don't I feel like an idiot? (hint, the answer is: Yes)
To answer my own question then, it is special because you thought it was special.

It figures that somebody with that name would make me actually think.

(none of the above is sarcasm)

Dedalus

04 May 2014, 7:04 am

140lb: I am bad with social cues, so I'm not sure if I've offended you or not. I think I have. If so, I apologise: no harm meant. :)

digitalb0y: Interesting article. Hugh does come across as quite Aspergic. In particular his "cold, brutal logic" and disregard for feelings and social norms. It seems like alcoholism might be prevalent amongst aspies for obvious reasons, although one has to be careful not to go all Confirmation Bias on it. I found a thread a while ago somewhere, and the posters seemed to believe that Hugh Everett had Asperger's.

charcoalsketches
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

08 May 2014, 7:27 am

Dedalus wrote:
Does anybody think Mark Oliver Everett from Eels has Asperger's?

My case:

1) His autobiography and lyrics (I know you can't judge from lyrics, and they must reflect the human condition if they're so popular, but - like Morrissey - he persists) talk a lot about alienation, not having friends, saying weird things in social situations, spending a lot of time alone in his home, not fitting in.

2) His dad was a famous physicist, Hugh Everett, who came with the Many Worlds Interpretation - this appears to have gone against the grain of scientific thought at the time. Mark Oliver Everett's descriptions of Hugh always mention that he was quiet, that Hugh never got to know his kids, that he disliked physical contact (the only contact Everett can remember is a cigarette burn while passing his father in a small hallway).

3) This documentary for observations on Everett and his father: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnnA3sg ... ED85D0ACBA

4) Strong commitment to ideals: he consistently rejects commercial success in favour of making something "real".

5) Loner personality. Inability to maintain relationships. Depression.

6) Finely honed skills as a musician, even as a child. Talks about how he wouldn't stop drumming. Check out the documentary for more of this.

Probably a few other things that I've forgotten at the moment.

That would most definitely be a cool discovery, since I am a fan of his work. I read on Wikipedia that he might be, but seeing that it is Wikipedia, I took it with a grain of salt. The information isn't there anymore.