Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

DiscoSoup
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

26 May 2014, 12:24 am

So I am currently developing a book about Asperger syndrome called Neurodiversity in Roleplaying Games: Asperger Syndrome. I have a few goals for this project. One is to provide RPG players with the tools and information that they need to accurately play an Aspie. The second is to help Aspies or parents of Aspie kids to enhance their social empathy through roleplaying.

My questions are Does this strike you as a useful project? Would you be interested in reading it? What would you like to see in it? What would you not like to see?

So far it is going to have a section detailing Asperger syndrome for those unfamiliar with the condition, a section explaining RPGs to those who have never played before, a section on incorporating the various symptoms of AS into an RPG character and how various story settings would affect an Aspie character, and notes for parents and Aspies on using an RPG to help Aspies get "in character" and work to understand the minds of others.

I'm interested in any feedback that you might have. As a bit of background I'm a man with Asperger syndrome and a writer. I've written for the print and online version of Spectrums Magazine and for various roleplaying games. I am producing a kids' book about AS that will go to press once I select an artist to commission. I have a blog Life Tinted Blue that I started as a place to host my interview of Temple Grandin and which is still updated from time to time (and will be updated more frequently soon). If this project is successful I plan on producing more books in the series for things like bipolar disorder, schizophrenia and more.

stardraigh
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2014, 7:00 pm

This sounds interesting, but I don't know how useful this would be.

I'm taking a break from pencil & paper rpg right now because it's the only place I'm having meltdowns. I struggled with the in game aspect of socialization. It's one thing to socialize with the fellow gamers, but it's another thing to have your character do it. My last character was my first attempt at a diplomancer. It was extremely hard and contributed to the last meltdown I had. I didn't want to be the player that just rolled dice through a game.

My Blog
Deviantart Page

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2014, 6:46 am

If it's done well, I think it would be a great idea. I'm not really sure how many people want to role play autistic characters, but it would also be useful for actors and authors and I know plenty of those portray autistic characters. Anyway, I started my firs tabletop RPG recently, it's a war hammer fantasy game and I'm a troll slayer dwarf. The characters personality is like polar opposite to mine, but I have experience as an actor so I can portray him great, and I have enough theory of mind to sepperate my dwarfs knowledge from my own, though its somewhat annoying as I was knocked out while the party got information for their objectives.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html