Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Alternative
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2014, 2:50 pm

Suppose it's worth a shot for asking.

I've been finishing off lyrics to songs I started writing ages ago with about 26 written for a string of EPs and 1 album.

They seem to give off Post-Punk vibes (lyric wise) reminiscent of Gang Of Four and The The.

By adding a Bluesy flavoured sound when writing the music, would you think this would be a good idea?

IE. Really cool riffs, beat etc. but with quite polarized, candid lyrics sung over the top.

Let me know on your thoughts.

Alternative
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2014, 9:04 am

*BUMP*

jagatai
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2014, 8:04 pm

Sounds intriguing. My tastes lean more toward the blues side of things, but I like a bit of punk now and then. The combination sounds like it could be really interesting.

Alternative
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2014, 6:50 am

jagatai wrote:
Sounds intriguing. My tastes lean more toward the blues side of things, but I like a bit of punk now and then. The combination sounds like it could be really interesting.

Ooh, thanks.

I figure taking lyrics telling it how it is (like in Punk music) into a genre like Blues could work. Must get to work before someone beats me to it. :wink: :lol: I kid of course.

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2014, 9:14 am

Do whatever you want! I encourage people to write/record music THEY like.

I don't think commercial music is all crap or watered-down to please mass audience. Even if it IS, I think there's a time and place for that kind of music just as there is anything else. But music, whether commercial, purely artistic, or anything in between, is I think an ongoing dialogue. If you WANT to speak to a mass, popular audience, do it. If you want to do bluesy post-punk, do it. If you want to invent something never-before-done. go for it.

My thing about my own music is there's just nothing out there that holds my interest for very long. So if I wanted to listen to music that *I* like, I have to create it myself. It's ok if nobody else ever hears it, although I don't mind sharing. It's ok if nobody else likes it. It's enough for me to be creative, and it's always a fulfilling endeavor.

As far as what's out there I actually DO enjoy, I've been into Tangerine Dream and a lot of Krautrock, New Age, some world music, some jazz, and tons of weird electronica from all over the place ever since before I was a teenager. It was distressing I couldn't make my own instrumental music and get a full band to back me up. That is, until I talked my mom into buying me a Yamaha QY-10 for Christmas. =D I've been leaning more towards a more pop style as of late, but privately I'm into Shoenberg and Webern. I think your bluesy post-punk idea is a great one. Now if I can fuse 12-tone, integral serialism with Krautrock-inspired ambient downtempo to knock out an instrumental album based on sacred Christmas music with a sound inspired by TSO and get a few thousand senior citizens to buy it, I'd REALLY be in business! lol

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2014, 4:11 pm

To my ears, post-punk is sort of about toning down the blues influences in rock music - getting a more angular, industrial and less sensuous sound - making it sound a lot more 'modern' in the process. If you put the blues back in, you sort of get 60s-style garage rock/rnb don't you? Jazz is seen as permissible because it sounds abstract enough, but blues is presumably the easy 'go-to' type of sound that some musicians consciously try to avoid?

Mind you, Gang of Four have funk all over them.

That said, the 'modernist' sort of lyrics and the harsh post-punk vibe contrasted with the earthy sounds of blues sounds like an interesting combination to have. I would say that it's a new form of music though - not blues or post-punk.

Alternative
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2014, 5:44 am

Thankyou both for your feedback. :)

It's something I will try and give a go, as well as attempting to sing. :lol:

Either lean towards a Bluesy, Garage Rock sound venting what's on the brain, or go colder and more industrial.

Perhaps combine the two? Who knows. Either way, I'll post results. :)