Finding comfort in repetitive lyricless music

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Kyte
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Jun 2014, 3:23 am

For as long as I remember, I never payed much mind to lyrics in music. When I listen to music, my mind focuses on the sound of the instruments and voices, not the content of what is said. Infact, I would go as far to say that when listening to lyrics in any kind of music, it basically sounds like a foriegn language to me. I have had friends that ask me to "pay attention to the lyrics of this song" but I find that when I try to analize them, I GREATLY loose enjoyment of the music.

Also, when I was a young child I remember loving repetitive noises. The subtle ticking of a clock could put me to sleep very quickly, the same with ambient rain audio or the drone of a fan.

At around age 11 I was intoduced into a Dance/Electronica sub genre called Uplifting Trance... I completely fell in love with it! :wink: The classical roots of the genre with its use of violins, chelos, chior, and other orchestra music combined with the repetitive drum kick and synth "Woooshes" just put me into a different state of mind. Trust me, I like a good soft or hard rock song every now and then, but something about the repetitive nature really feels natural to me.

I am just curious if this is just a unique personality trait of mine that has nothing to do with Autism or if anyone ellse shares a similar experience, if not with trance then with another genre. :D

If interested, here is a prime example of an uplifting trance piece. :wink:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tn5yj7cdctc[/youtube]

WHOperhero
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Jun 2014, 9:07 pm

I don't mind lyrics, in fact, I quite enjoy them. I enjoy stories and poetry a lot though, so maybe that's why. However, I also like listening to electronic music. I listen to a wide variety of music, including electronic, country, rock, and pop. I listened to the song you posted, and it was really cool! Like, it was relaxing yet energizing at the same time. I'll have to look for more music like that, thanks :)

Aspiewordsmith
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2014, 2:31 pm

My musical tastes range from 1950s rock n roll to progressive psychedelic trance. Actually with a lot of electronic dance music from the late 1980s has a stereotyped repetitive beat to it and which can be very good. My tastes in electronic music range from some early house music to olschool hardcore, oldschool jungle of which Mickey Finn is an excellent DnB DJ and I also appreciate Brian Dougans as part of Future sound of London at times a lot of trance is good and later psytrance is good since that is what Amsterdam's smartshops played when I went and were like autism sensory rooms. I do see that rave music is good for stimming to whether that has something to do with autism in general but the jury's out on that one because allistics stim to this and they call that stimming dancing rather than just stereotyped repetitive behaviour. There was a lot of real decent dance music when I was in my late teens and in my 20s and a lot of this had repetitive stereotyped beats too. :idea:

rapidroy
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2014, 12:32 am

I can like lyric less music although the really repetitive "elevator" type of music can easily get on my nerves, need a solo or something in there to keep it interesting.

Outrider
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2014, 1:57 am

Kyte wrote:
For as long as I remember, I never payed much mind to lyrics in music. When I listen to music, my mind focuses on the sound of the instruments and voices, not the content of what is said. Infact, I would go as far to say that when listening to lyrics in any kind of music, it basically sounds like a foriegn language to me. I have had friends that ask me to "pay attention to the lyrics of this song" but I find that when I try to analize them, I GREATLY loose enjoyment of the music.

Also, when I was a young child I remember loving repetitive noises. The subtle ticking of a clock could put me to sleep very quickly, the same with ambient rain audio or the drone of a fan.

At around age 11 I was intoduced into a Dance/Electronica sub genre called Uplifting Trance... I completely fell in love with it! :wink: The classical roots of the genre with its use of violins, chelos, chior, and other orchestra music combined with the repetitive drum kick and synth "Woooshes" just put me into a different state of mind. Trust me, I like a good soft or hard rock song every now and then, but something about the repetitive nature really feels natural to me.

I am just curious if this is just a unique personality trait of mine that has nothing to do with Autism or if anyone ellse shares a similar experience, if not with trance then with another genre. :D

If interested, here is a prime example of an uplifting trance piece. :wink:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tn5yj7cdctc[/youtube]

I can very, VERY much relate.

I care about the lyrics occasionally but the beats what's important to me.

I got into Electronic Music (Dubstep, Brostep, House, Disco, Trance, Techno, Jungle, Moombahcore, Moombahton, etc.) since last year and discovered Uplifting Trance around 2 months ago. Above & Beyond are very good, Sun In Her Eyes is definitely their best song.

Maybe it's just your trait, maybe it's Aspergers related. Who knows.,

What i do know however is most people with aspergers are completely different and unqiue just as much as anyone else. We can like any music, tv, etc. and theres no "we all like this" or "most of us hate this".

Alternative
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2014, 2:14 am

The Field tends to be repetitive music I can 'space out' to. Which actually progresses as it loops. How this is achieved, I'd love to know:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TGN3u2dMxk[/youtube]

Basic Channel and Plastikman achieve this feat as well. Great 'chill-out' music. :)

MrGrumpy
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Jun 2014, 8:53 am

I have always struggled with listening to lyrics, mainly because they are very often impossible to hear. But, when I can hear them, I am easily moved to tears by some of the cheesiest lyrics in the world. Tom Jones singing The GreenGreen Grass of Home gets me every time, as does Frank Sinatra singing The Summer Wind. And listen to Nina Simone singing Billie Holliday's 'Strange Fruit'. As you can tell, I don't listen much to current stuff.

Repetitive music comes in many forms, and Ravel's Bolero (from the early 20th century) is very enjoyable. Later in the 20th century, the 'minimalist' movement began to be taken seriously amongst 'serious' musicians (whoever they might be...), and here is a link to an article which includes a few suggestions about stuff to listen to - http://www.classicfm.com/discover/perio ... ism-guide/

I have never quite understood how the experts decide which particular pigeonhole is appropriate for each particular piece of music.

I am new on this bit of WrongPlanet - Hi!

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2014, 1:29 pm

This is a Phillip Glass piece, part of the soundtrack of a brilliant movie called Koyaanisqatsi, which consists only of Phillip Glass music similar to this and various images. It's one of my favorites.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqNM953dYPc[/youtube]

Nights_Like_These
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2014, 3:12 pm

I can sort of relate to this. I still appreciate songs with great lyrics that I can relate to (possibly more so than purely instrumental music), but sometimes I'll love a song just because of the music without really paying attention to the lyrics (they could even be complete crap lol)and I will often listen to music with no lyrics when I'm in a very contemplative state. This is one I've always loved for those times:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FcKxTyh1Qc[/youtube]

--Aldous Huxley

Pobbles
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2014, 3:54 pm

Get some Autechre in your diet. Usually sounds repetitive upon first listen, but gets more and more detailed the more attention you give it.

No lyrics. Definitely no lyrics.

Here's something fairly basic and approachable: (very old too)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qG5w_w7EwV4[/youtube]

or

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fNJZ67roTM[/youtube]