Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

bumble
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2014, 1:59 pm

Who else here likes drawing. In the last 2 weeks I have been teaching myself to draw and today I attended the first proper art class (Still LIfe Drawing) since the ones I had to take in infant school (I gave up on things like drawing and painting when I realised, that at that time, I couldn't stay in the lines. Being used to being able to learn things very quickly, I got upset (I was perfectionistic), slammed my wax crayon down onto my pad whlist yelling "that's it, I can't do it!" and refused to draw again until some 30 or so years later when I decided it was time to challange my belief that all I could manage to sketch was the occasional stick figure!).

Here are the sketches I have made since I started teaching myself a few weeks ago now. I have also included the still life drawings I did in my first day of class today....

Other than the lighting in the room (bloody flourescent lighting) I very much enjoyed myself and although I did have a bit of an issue with geometric shapes later on in the afternoon (I will need to practice those) I am very happy with the work I produced today. Fortunately it was only a small class of 4 people so I didn't have to worry about the social stuff too much. I like art classes...I shall take more.

Next week I have beginners pottery (hand building/making not throwing on the wheel)!

http://notquitevangogh.blogspot.co.uk/

I think it is going to become my new main interest along side learning to paint with acrylics.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

18 Jul 2014, 2:25 pm

I've been drawing and painting for most of my life. It's very difficult, but lots of fun to do.

I've only recently gotten somewhere that I can feel satisfied with. :lol:

stabilator
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Jul 2014, 4:01 am

Hi, I draw sometimes. Nice work, in your webpages.

MathematicalOwl
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Jul 2014, 11:48 am

I used to love drawing until I took Art for GCSE. I stopped drawing for fun for a couple of years, but I'm starting to draw again. I find it easy, but I usually work very slowly.

TenTheArtist
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

25 Jul 2014, 3:07 am

I have been drawing for most of my life, and I've been starting to turn it into a career.

Nice drawings, you've got there. They are exceptionally good especially considering the amount of time you've been focusing on it lately. Keep it up and you'll be a pro in no time!

Geometric shapes are tough. I say just 'cheat' and use a ruler. Although that's not really cheating. :lol:

Also, for acrylic, you have to try it on raw canvas. The Gesso used today makes it all feel like plastic, though you might want to try a Gesso'd canvas, too. You may prefer it. Warning: You end up using more paint with a raw canvas. Also, don't do raw canvas with oil paints, whatever you do.