Still struggling with writer's block.

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

The Gift
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Feb 2015, 5:41 pm

I'm an aspiring fiction writer, but I have difficulties getting words on the page. I get really stressed out and depressed when I'm on my computer or on my typewriter, attempting to concoct a sentence that will accurately express what I hope to accomplish. This writer's block that I have gets so bad that I can barely type a post most of the time without sounding like I'm a moron or drugged up to the eyeballs. My motivation and self-confidence are ludicrously low, to the point that I can barely get anything done, no matter how trivial. I'm beginning to think that this may all be tied to my depression. Any thoughts?

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2015, 5:57 pm

You have to just write. Don't procrastinate too much, even if the sentence doesn't quite sound the way you want it to sound. You can come back and improve it later. Write the book/story out of order if you need to, whatever scene is in your mind at the time, and fill in the gaps later.

Take a break from what you are working on and just write a short silly story; it can stimulate your creativity and and dampen your stress.

I find that my ideas come more often and flow more freely while I'm lying down and fantasizing the story with closed eyes, not while I'm sitting and typing at the computer. Also, listening to some music may help you.

charcoalsketches
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Feb 2015, 8:06 pm

The Gift wrote:
I'm an aspiring fiction writer, but I have difficulties getting words on the page. I get really stressed out and depressed when I'm on my computer or on my typewriter, attempting to concoct a sentence that will accurately express what I hope to accomplish. This writer's block that I have gets so bad that I can barely type a post most of the time without sounding like I'm a moron or drugged up to the eyeballs. My motivation and self-confidence are ludicrously low, to the point that I can barely get anything done, no matter how trivial. I'm beginning to think that this may all be tied to my depression. Any thoughts?

I know how you feel. I have two projects I didn't finish because of 1) my grandiose imagination that goes way beyond what I can actually create at the time and 2) my need to hurry the work up some. The latter most definitely makes me feel depressed because I know that I am not doing anything, but I'm not trying to put out just anything. You know?

So, just take a break, read it back and see if you can get back to work. At least, this way, you can figure out some way to make your story evolve from the last thing you wrote. :-) Or maybe this will help, set up a side project and write about how you are feeling and what you are thinking. The more you focus and write at once ,the more you will get done without worries of getting blocked. PYOW!