Why does Rap music have such a bad reputation?

Page 3 of 4 [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

MrBear
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Apr 2015, 11:34 pm

As somebody who actually like some older rap music, I think today's rap deserves a bad reputation. Generic repetitive beat, constant use of the word n***r (sometimes the most used word in a song), badly written lyrics, no talent on the part of the "artists", and so on. It all sounds the same and it all sounds bad. It does not seem like they even try. Put on a generic beat supplemented with other people's music, say the N word and some profanity a lot, say "yeah" a lot, talk about how bad you are/ho's wanna **ck you, and you got a modern rap song. Intelligent lyrics (often with social commentary), complex instrumentation, good voices, and any value are things of the past.

Lazershow
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

20 Apr 2015, 9:47 am

MrBear wrote:
As somebody who actually like some older rap music, I think today's rap deserves a bad reputation. Generic repetitive beat, constant use of the word n***r (sometimes the most used word in a song), badly written lyrics, no talent on the part of the "artists", and so on. It all sounds the same and it all sounds bad. It does not seem like they even try. Put on a generic beat supplemented with other people's music, say the N word and some profanity a lot, say "yeah" a lot, talk about how bad you are/ho's wanna **ck you, and you got a modern rap song. Intelligent lyrics (often with social commentary), complex instrumentation, good voices, and any value are things of the past.

Its true that a lot of modern rap is like that especially mainstream. There are still rappers who have complex beats and lyrics though such as Kendrick Lamar and immortal technique.

T1nd1v1dual
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

20 Apr 2015, 10:31 am

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
I wish industrial hip hop was more popular.

Are there any other songs like this, that mix rap vocals/beats with industrial music?

Death Grips. Somebody already posted a song by them though.

My favorite style of hip-hop is the mostly chilled back, neo-soul sound from Soulquarians popular in the late 90s-early 00s (Common, The Roots, J Dilla, Mos Def, etc.)

(D'Angelo's more of a singer but you get the idea with the beat)

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2015, 2:01 pm

Prudes and scolds who don't understand the genre, mostly. Profanity, materialism, derivativeness, etc, are hardly unique to rap and hip hop, but to hear critics of the genres say it, those styles practically invented them. I resist the racial angle to the criticism for the most part, but when people claim it isn't even music at all, I really have to wonder.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2015, 4:12 pm

XJ220RACER wrote:
Rock was similar when it started out, but it is hard to tell if the shock was to the same degree. Not only did you have all of the sex and drugs - you looked further into it and you discovered that not only was it in many cases millionaire media moguls and their performers (Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, etc) stealing directly from anonymous black blues musicians, there were allusions to Satan worship (Led Zeppelin again, The Eagles, etc) and links to the CIA and MI5 (MKULTRA program) It wasn't really until David Bowie that rock seemed clean and safe to listen to, but by that time, there was less of a need to distract the angry, protesting masses with pure strains of LSD and colossal showmanship.

There's plenty of talk about intelligence agencies and media complexes using rap to manipulate both black communities and middle-class America's perception of them. Notice how in the 80's and early 90's, rap had both the intimidating gangster image and overt political demands (repertations, race wars, etc) During Clinton's presidency, race relations got better and the likes of Will Smith came in and rap became a lot more innocent, just something to dance to. Then again during a Republican presidency, rap became violent, overtly sexual, etc. During Obama presidency, rap has taken on a more conscious and intellectual tone and a lot of the more famous rappers are lighter skinned or half-white - no doubt inspired by Obama himself.

Obviously, the effort with which it takes to make music has significantly declined over the centuries - it has gone from well-organized symphonies, to a group of guys and their instruments, to one rapper and a beat, now it seems to all be done on computer.

In my opinion EDM is the biggest farce yet - no instruments, in a lot of songs and albums not even any original rhythms, just sound bits thrown together to pump up your heart rate.

I thought bands like Deep Purple and Led Zeppelin where more influenced by blues...not necessarily 'stealing' it, though I know Zeppelin was not good about giving credit where it was due...though some music that influenced bands like that didn't have an exact person to credit. Also sure there is lyrics about sex and drugs in rock, but rock was not just like modern rap when it was starting out...the way the sex and drugs are sung about in that sort of music is a bit different than how they discuss it in modern mainstream rap. You wont here b*tches and hoes as every other word or how your going to bang on the dance floor or having the most bling bling with 50 cars and more b*tches and hoes to fill them with that does seem a lot more common in mainstream rap than any rock music.

I have no problem with drugs about drugs, sex, booze or violence...but there has to be some creativity, expression of something real or some kind of depth or something. Not a repetitive beat, with a rapper either trying to sound 'gangster' or all whiny and nasly with the autotune with the same generic lyrics as every other rapper. Also I have not noticed any improvement in rap/hip hop music I've had the misfortune of hearing on the radio since the Obama administration so not entirely sure where you are getting that from.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

21 Apr 2015, 10:03 pm

Not particularly keen on the knocks on "modern" or "mainstream" rap tbh. Kanye West and Kendrick Lamar are two of the best musicians around right now, and they're both mainstream - I'd argue they're also amongst the most talented rappers, period.

I'm not a big fan of Drake but he's another who mostly defies the negative image of rap.

Other excellent artists worth checking out: Chance The Rapper, Run The Jewels, Death Grips, Young Fathers, Kid Cudi, MF Doom. And it should go without saying, but Jay Z and OutKast are fantastic.

Returning from that minor derailment, I think "guns, b****s and bling" is a big part of it. Obviously that isn't even a fair representation of gangsta rap, but that sort of materialism is a bigger meme in rap than other genres. Biggie and Pac had a big impact on people's perceptions of the genre (actually, it might be fairer to say Biggie impacted people's perception of Pac...), and then that was reinforced by the unprecedented commercial success of Eminem and 50 Cent in the early 00s. Kanye's personality puts a lot of people off him, and theoretically he should be a gateway to the likes of Cudi... alas.

There's definitely a racial factor. I really can't think of another explanation for denying that My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy is "real music".

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2015, 9:14 pm

Even for the worst offenders I can kind of understand the appeal of it in terms of pure style and attitude. It expresses SOMETHING most people who live comfortably don't really want to acknowledge. I'd say most "gangster rap" is really about the deepest darkest underbelly of what is essentially one of the major historical mythos of America. Europeans came to the US with dreams of material success. Americans have always been materialistic. Think of the gold rush. The wild west. The land speculators. Even violence has always been part of America. Settlers largely took property from the indigenous population by force.

The dog eat dog mentality and crass materialism is an ugly part of American culture that's always existed to some degree. America has always been somewhat of an experiment in loosely controlled anarchy. Therefore hip hop isn't a "black" art form. It's an American art form. It didn't come from Africa. Maybe the musical style did. The attitude that a lot of people find repulsive certainly didn't though. Therefore I don't think it's necessarily racist to criticize it.

The "gangster rap" thing took off in the early 90s. I'd say back then it was something fresh - something significant. It was a voice that had to be heard. Since then I don't know what happened. These days a lot of it comes off as a kind of self parody. The narcissistic bravado and "life is just dope, b**** and money" is kind of tongue-in-cheek. It's become one of the staples of the genre - sort of like mashed potatoes. The more intelligent artists who want to say something more figure out a way to tow the line. They can mix bravado with equal parts honest introspection.

Yea, a lot of the commercially successful mainstream rap artists are narcissistic jerks, but they aren't that much more so than a lot of commercially successful rock icons. They're just expected to play it up a bit more.

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2015, 11:33 pm

Rap music has a bad reputation because of it's origins. It evolved from poetry jams and quickly became a medium for expressing social frustration. When it became popular about 20 or so years ago, it was condemned largely by racists because it was a mostly black movement.

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2015, 11:37 pm

usually, i prefer songs with a nice melody.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2015, 11:49 pm

When I had to live in a home for people with chronic mental illness I shared a bedroom with another girl who listened to rap all day long. It just sounded like a bunch of angry guys swearing constantly. She was surprised when one day I was playing some "cool" music such as techno on my stereo, although the lyrics weren't obscene. I used to play and listen to soundtracks from Disney movies a lot back then.

Woodpecker
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2015, 11:57 pm

My dislike of rap is that it is not musical, also the content appear to revolve around mindless violence, drug abuse and mistreatment of women. It is similar to the problem that most heavy metal is about horrible subjects such as "the devil is coming to get you".

I have never heard of a heavy metal song about some nice subject such as "the sun is shining, I am going to go for a picnic in the park with my girlfriend".

It is more likely to be something along the lines of "the devil has taken control of my girlfriend's dog, he has just eaten her and I am unable to escape the jaws of the devil dog"

Diagnosed under the DSM5 rules with autism spectrum disorder, under DSM4 psychologist said would have been AS (299.80) but I suspect that I am somewhere between 299.80 and 299.00 (Autism) under DSM4.

Sequoia
Raven
Raven

06 May 2015, 12:34 am

Personally I can't handle most rap or any music coming out in recent years because of sensory issues I have, but I wouldn't knock anyone's music. AutoTune is torture for me, though, and people use it so much that it's an immediate channel flipper for me. It literally makes me physically sick. It has nothing to do with race, just that I have synesthesia and it makes my insides crawl.

As far as why rap has a bad reputation, sadly, the rap music someone would hear on the radio or out of people's cars or whatever is the stereotypical crap about drugs and sex and all that jazz. Of course there is rap with intelligent lyrics, but if someone is not a fan of the music, they are going to hear the bad stuff and think it's all like that. The same thing happens with country music, which I love. People who don't like it think it's just a bunch of inbred hicks singing about drinking beer and riding in their pickup trucks. There is a lot more to it than that, but if someone doesn't like it, they aren't going to bother researching it and finding out exactly what it is. I would think it would be the same way with rap.

Another thing I notice is that if someone doesn't like a type of music, they say that it all sounds alike. Of course if it's being played on the radio, then that is pretty much true, but it bugs me when people generalize that much.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2015, 12:54 am

Woodpecker wrote:
It is similar to the problem that most heavy metal is about horrible subjects such as "the devil is coming to get you".

I have never heard of a heavy metal song about some nice subject such as "the sun is shining, I am going to go for a picnic in the park with my girlfriend".

It is more likely to be something along the lines of "the devil has taken control of my girlfriend's dog, he has just eaten her and I am unable to escape the jaws of the devil dog"

I haven't listened to a huge amount of metal, but these sort of lyrics/themes are why I don't quite understand the comparison to rap. Violence in metal lyrics tends to be so over the top that I can't take it seriously; also, I haven't heard much that is directed at specific groups of people (womyn, cops). What I've heard is more like "f**k everybody" and indiscriminate killing spree-type stuff, which doesn't bother me because it seems like nothing more than symbolism of alienation and anger. Of course, I can't understand all of the lyrics in metal, so maybe I shouldn't put too much stock in what I've heard.

Rap tends to seem more specific and realistic. I haven't heard of any metal musicians acting out their lyrics, whereas several rappers have been involved in the sort of criminal activity they rap about.

Another difference between rap and rock or metal is that, if people don't like the lyrics of the latter, they can still listen to the music. Since rap usually just has the same little musical sample repeating endlessly, and sometimes nothing but a repeating beat, that option isn't really there unless the listener is really into repetition.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2015, 1:14 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Racial origin of the genre is one factor.

Well people who hate rap for that reason, should be fair and also hate rock music....pretty sure it was not exactly white people who created the blues and pretty sure that was one of the main predecessors of rock music and of course metal came out of rock.

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2015, 3:04 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:

Well people who hate rap for that reason, should be fair and also hate rock music....pretty sure it was not exactly white people who created the blues and pretty sure that was one of the main predecessors of rock music and of course metal came out of rock.

Rap has stayed largely a black genre. The same cannot be said for rock. Rock was, in fact, appropriated rather quickly after it hit the mainstream. This was mainly due to the racial attitudes during that time.

We like to think we're past that sort of thing these days, but the increase of white rappers that have no respect for their black counterparts proves otherwise.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2015, 9:56 pm

TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:

Rap has stayed largely a black genre. The same cannot be said for rock. Rock was, in fact, appropriated rather quickly after it hit the mainstream. This was mainly due to the racial attitudes during that time.

We like to think we're past that sort of thing these days, but the increase of white rappers that have no respect for their black counterparts proves otherwise.

That is true....sadly I have talked to some black people who are into rock/metal who sometimes even get stigma from their families because their into so called 'white music' there's one I still talk to on facebook because the metal forum we where on was done away with so some of us made a facebook group.....and yeah a while back encouraged him to pursue music he likes and now he's pretty much a metalhead. But yeah its just weird...I mean it was mainly due to african americans we have rock music...like with all the psychedelic rock in the 60's in england that was all heavily influenced by blues music that was mostly played by black musicians because they had a respect for it a lot of americans did not, like Pink Floyd created their name I believe from a couple blues bands Syd Barrett enjoyed. A lot of popular white artists back then where playing bluesy music but they where more stealing it than making music influenced by it out of respect. I took a couple music history courses in college and yeah its crazy how much racial tensions and crap was even involved in music...and I guess still is.

But yeah I don't dislike rap as a style of art...I just dislike the degrading nasty crap that is popular these days for the most part. So its mostly the current popular lyrical content that bothers me certainly not the style itself.