Page 1 of 3 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

yellowtamarin
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2012, 1:39 am

I hope this isn't too narrow a topic, but I thought since we aspies/auties tend to focus on the details, there might be a few macro photographers around! Please share some favourite photos you have taken. Here's one from me to start us off:

Peacock spider.

Pondering
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2012, 2:03 am

Uhmm does this count? I took a closeup of my lizards face with my webcam. Your pic is awesome by the way. What kind of bug is that?
[img][800:720]http://i48.tinypic.com/34pz0op.jpg[/img]

yellowtamarin
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2012, 2:09 am

Sure, that counts! Is that a blue-tongue? I don't know much about reptiles outside of Australia so I'm sure I'm way off. Mine was a peacock spider, a type of jumping spider. It's tiny.

helles
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2012, 4:17 am

Macro is not a narrow subject :-)
This i a Feverfew Tanacetum (Chrysanthemum) parthenium[img] with a small bug (true bugs, Hemiptera)

The weather that day was not especially forgiving for taking macro. I am not quite happy with the light green at the bottom right and not at all happy with the position of the bug. Part of the black head is not well defined against the black background.

Fatal-Noogie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: California coast, United States of America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Cosmos

06 Nov 2012, 4:21 am

Click here to see the correct aspect ratio –> http://fatal-noogie.deviantart.com/art/ ... -295769132
[img][800:683]http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2012/103/e/5/veggie_abstract_by_fatal_noogie-d4w3cx8.jpg[/img]

original page –> http://fatal-noogie.deviantart.com/art/ ... -331499393
[img][800:804]http://th05.deviantart.net/fs70/PRE/i/2012/283/4/1/lumpy_____plant_____thing_by_fatal_noogie-d5hd6kh.jpg[/img]

original page –> http://fatal-noogie.deviantart.com/art/ ... -319277227

I'm thinking about saving up for a 100mm macro lens so I can try smaller subjects.
My compound lenses don't work so well for that, even with the magnifying filters on them.
The light has to pass thru so many layers of glass that the image looses clarity.

Pondering
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2012, 1:22 am

He is a somewhat large lizard, so you are not that off. That is my Argentine Black and White Tegu. Danged near puppy tame too, and good for me because at adult size his bite could take my finger off! I wish we had spiders like that in WA... What a vibrant colored little feller.

yellowtamarin wrote:
Sure, that counts! Is that a blue-tongue? I don't know much about reptiles outside of Australia so I'm sure I'm way off. Mine was a peacock spider, a type of jumping spider. It's tiny.

yellowtamarin
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2012, 1:58 am

Pondering wrote:
He is a somewhat large lizard, so you are not that off. That is my Argentine Black and White Tegu. Danged near puppy tame too, and good for me because at adult size his bite could take my finger off! I wish we had spiders like that in WA... What a vibrant colored little feller.
yellowtamarin wrote:

Oh, nice, a monitor-like creature. I was thinking much smaller.

Here's a reptilian pic of mine:

Nice pics all, keep them coming :)

keira
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2012, 4:01 pm

Very nice pictures, everyone. I love macro photography. I don't take pictures myself though, I just admire them. :)

AliceInAspieland
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Nov 2012, 1:11 am

Wow those photos are awesome!

I want to get into macro photography. It's something that I've been interested in for a long time. I also like what I call micro photography, images taken under microscopic magnification. I don't have the ability to take them, but I usually make artworks inspired by them. Google away if you're interested.

Anyone recommend a good camera for macro shots, something versatile and not too expensive. Under $1000.

Keep up the snapping!

helles
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2012, 3:23 am

I must admit that I have difficulties with the pictures by Fatal-Noogie.
The motivs are good but the colours are hurting my eyes (well not litterally, but they do to my eyes what a nail on a blackboard do to my ears).
I guess that I am too much of a naturealist :)

helles
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2012, 3:34 am

It could be an idea if people stated if they are open for critique or not (just so not to offence anybody).

This is a shield bug Pentatomidae (Hemiptera or true bugs) on a birch (Betula) leaf. The bug is approx. 1,2-1,5 cm long.
Again, the weather was not optimal for shooting macro so the depth of field is not impressive. I think that the middle of the bug should have been sharp, that would have looked better than the sides being sharp. I find the colours and placement of the bug on the leaf good enough, and I like the texture of the leaf.

yellowtamarin
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2012, 4:36 am

Can you upload larger images helles? Would be good to see them at 800x600.

I take it by your comment that you are open to critique? This isn't really a critique but more just a question and possible tip - do you take multiple shots of the one subject? When I'm not sure how a shot is going to look, I usually try to take a few shots with different focal points or lengths, and see which looks best on the bigger screen later.

It looks like you got the eyes in focus though, which is important :)

yellowtamarin
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2012, 4:42 am

A butterfly.

Mindsigh
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2012, 2:40 pm

I wish I could post pictures here. :x There are some macro shots on my flickr page (goofykid, or if you can't find me that way, search for images tagged "skyza". I think there are only 2 and one of them is mine). I do not have access to it atm because I can only go online at work, dammit. I have macro shots of water drops on leaves and bugs and flowers. Most of them were with my point-and-shoot Sony Cybershot, which has an awesome macro mode, and others were with my Minolta and Pentax 35mm film cameras.

helles
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2012, 3:37 pm

yellowtamarin wrote:
Can you upload larger images helles? Would be good to see them at 800x600.

I take it by your comment that you are open to critique? This isn't really a critique but more just a question and possible tip - do you take multiple shots of the one subject? When I'm not sure how a shot is going to look, I usually try to take a few shots with different focal points or lengths, and see which looks best on the bigger screen later.

It looks like you got the eyes in focus though, which is important :)

I do take multiple shots of the subject. This day the weather was not good, the wind was blowing to strongly and the sun only shining thrugh the skies at irregular intervals. Not good macro weather.

slave
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2012, 5:07 pm

Thank you all for your fabulous work....big fan!! !! :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail: