Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Anlor
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

22 Jun 2015, 5:41 pm

Hi to whoever reads this. I have written a memoir, Being Seen (unless my publisher decides to change its title :) and was told that most of the PR would have to be done by me. Being autistic, such things as social media are difficult for me,do you have any idea?
Anlor
my blog: autizen.com

AspergersActor8693
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2015, 7:05 am

So what is your question exactly? Are you asking if there are other ways to promote a book?

lelia
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2015, 2:48 pm

Marketing is tough.

Anlor
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

13 Aug 2015, 12:24 pm

AspergersActor8693 wrote:
So what is your question exactly? Are you asking if there are other ways to promote a book?

Thank you for answering. Sorry it took me so long to get to it, I had computer problems. Yes, that is my question. Also, recently I started a sign up letter on Mail Chimp (again, someone helped me to do this, of course), so now I am wondering how to get people to sign up on this.
Anlor
My blog: autizen.com

jackinblack
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Aug 2015, 1:43 pm

lelia wrote:
Marketing is tough.

It is because in major part marketing is the art of making people buy things they don't need. This regards books as well, there would be far less books if authors first made sure that there is a need / interest / demand for a given book before writing it. Unfortunately most books are written because authors want prestige / fame / want to be heard.

Just a personal opinion.

Regarding marketing your book - find professionals to do this for you. Best, find professionals who will do everything for you - starting with assessment whether it will be a good investment to market your book. Not every book will sell, even if it's a good book. This is why many books are never published and many successful authors only become successful after several publications.

Anlor
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

27 Aug 2015, 5:40 pm

Hi "Jackinblack".
First of all, thank you for answering, it is always interesting to hear what others have to say. I agree with you that people ought to wonder if there is a need or interest before they write a book, and I want to reassure you that in my opinion there is indeed a need or interest to be found in my book. Writing a book is a privilege I am well aware of. I did not just write it because I am autistic. I wrote it because I believe that what I have to offer in other areas matters. One example of this is that the book is informed by my Zen practice of the last 15 years. Though just a story, there are a few other unique things in it.

As for asking a professional to help me promote it, I do not have any money for this as I only leave from my little monthly disability allowance. Thus I have to figure out by myself how to promote my book...

Anlor

jackinblack
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

28 Aug 2015, 9:52 am

Hi Anlor,

I am happy you did not take what I said personally, as obviously I do not know your nor I have idea what book is about. I think it is typical for Aspies to make speeches rather than talk to people, and this is exactly what I did when I replied to your thread - but I did not speak about particulars like you or your book.

I am where you are now - I am almost finished writing my non-sci book and I was reading on publishing, self publishing etc over the last 6 years. So I do not have actual experience, but some second-hand knowledge. When it comes to marketing your book on your own, it will make sense only if 1. you have money for it and 2. your aim is to self publish. Alternatively, you can publish without much spent on marketing in kindle version - Amazon makes it very easy for first time authors these days. But, unfortunately unless your book is bestseller, you cannot expect sales this high from self publishing, despite the fact you get to keep the lion's share for each sale.

In every other case, you will need to get a catalogue of literary agents in your area and contact them, preferably starting with the ones who are dealing with your kind of writing/subject/audience. Once you will find an agent who is interested, I believe the next step is to sign a solicitors agreement and let them read your manuscript. The role of a literary agent is to assess the content, solicit your manuscript for sending out to publishers, and finding a publisher on your behalf who will print, market and publish your book. Agents do charge a lot on your book sales, however when you think about publishing for the first time you may think of it as an investment: literary agents know people and have connections, and they are capable of finding a good publisher and negotiating a good deal for you. So the money you pay them, in my view is sort of investment. The first time you publish you trade your profit for name recognition and prestige, which should make it easier to make money out of your second publication.

lelia
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2015, 11:13 am

I wonder if you could contact Jessica Kingsley Publishing. They publish a lot of memoirs and autistic experience books.

Anlor
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

01 Sep 2015, 6:23 pm

Hi both of you, "Jackinthebox" and Leilia,

Thank you for your comments, I am so glad to communicate with others.

First, the easy answer (to Lelia's question): I first had indeed sent my proposal to Jessica Kingsley.

Second: I now have a publisher, though a small one, it is a good one (he is on the spectrum himself and has already published dozens of books). I signed the contract back in April, and all is well, we are even "getting on the stretch" to production these days. My book should come out sometimes next year I think (I do not yet a confirmed date).

I really liked Jackinthebox's comment: "it is typical for Aspies to make speeches rather than talk to people". I completely agree. I was very interested to read what you had to say. I hope your book goes through. As you probably inferred from what I wrote above, mine is "going through", I got lucky and found a publisher (I had before that submitted queries to about 60 agents, only to be turned off each time). My turn to say that I think it is typical of Aspies to write/speak (even more) in a way that leads to misunderstandings: I always meant to say that my book was going to be published soon, sorry if that was not clear.
It is only yesterday, as I thought I ought to raise money for marketing my book...but when I told this to my publisher, he said that though I am in the right direction (learning about PR), he does not feel that I ought to pay anything yet, because he himself has a person in his organization who takes care of some of the PR.

Anlor

lelia
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2015, 6:55 pm

Do you know what he is going to do for PR for you?

Anlor
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

03 Sep 2015, 1:34 pm

No I do not know what PR he will do for me exactly.