Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 3 Jul 2010
Age: 24
Gender: Female
Posts: 3,067
Location: Canada

09 Mar 2016, 10:33 pm

I just started getting into writing. I found a niche community that enjoys what I write, so I write stuff for them. When I write I notice that time goes by so fast. I'm normally very impatient, but when I have ideas to write about I'm not impatient at all. Unfortunately I get burnt out from writing easily.


_________________
Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 82 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 124 of 200
You are very likely neurotypical


kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Feb 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 68,553
Location: Queens, NYC

09 Mar 2016, 10:36 pm

I wish I had the staying-power to write novels.



Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 18 Dec 2015
Gender: Male
Posts: 11,976
Location: New England

09 Mar 2016, 10:50 pm

DevilKisses wrote:
I just started getting into writing. I found a niche community that enjoys what I write, so I write stuff for them. When I write I notice that time goes by so fast. I'm normally very impatient, but when I have ideas to write about I'm not impatient at all. Unfortunately I get burnt out from writing easily.


Good for you! Keep at it, and you'll develop a ever-growing following.


_________________
 
There Are Four Lights!


DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 3 Jul 2010
Age: 24
Gender: Female
Posts: 3,067
Location: Canada

09 Mar 2016, 11:36 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I wish I had the staying-power to write novels.

I don't think I can write a novel. Today I stared writing a new story. I got to 1,748 words 9,077 characters before I started to feel tired. The next 361 words 1,843 characters were way harder to write. It seems like writing is really enjoyable for me, but it easily burns me out. I bet publishers wouldn't like that too much.


_________________
Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 82 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 124 of 200
You are very likely neurotypical


xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Jul 2010
Age: 26
Gender: Female
Posts: 3,408
Location: Inferno Faction

10 Mar 2016, 12:10 pm

Writing is fun but writers block sucks. So does getting burned out.


_________________
“The most sophisticated people I know- inside they are all children “
-Jim Henson


Kuraudo777
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 20 Sep 2015
Posts: 14,743
Location: Seventh Heaven

11 Mar 2016, 2:16 pm

Whenever I get writer's block, I do something else and then write about it with a personal or fantasy twist.


_________________
Quote:
A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? That's why sometimes it can be mistaken and a different thing. But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel.” Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII


SparkyCosmos
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

User avatar

Joined: 6 Mar 2016
Age: 24
Gender: Male
Posts: 192
Location: The Midnight Channel

11 Mar 2016, 4:59 pm

That's why I write with music playing in the background, it helps me focus. It doesn't even have to be actual music, sometimes I just have rain sounds or blizzard sounds and that helps for writing specific scenarios. Just make sure it's on a playlist or having to constantly change the music will be a bad distraction.



Alien_Papa
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 7 Nov 2008
Gender: Male
Posts: 666
Location: Minor Key

18 Mar 2016, 11:59 pm

Better to do what feels right and fun than trying to fit a publishing formula. These days publishers recognize their traditional formulas don't work and they are looking online for whatever is popular. Number of words and characters is irrelevant. Wordy prose is often crap - the challenge is always how to cut it down.

Can you post a link to your work?



Kuraudo777
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 20 Sep 2015
Posts: 14,743
Location: Seventh Heaven

19 Mar 2016, 9:19 am

Does anyone want to read my fantasy book?


_________________
Quote:
A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? That's why sometimes it can be mistaken and a different thing. But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel.” Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII


DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 3 Jul 2010
Age: 24
Gender: Female
Posts: 3,067
Location: Canada

19 Mar 2016, 12:58 pm

Alien_Papa wrote:
Better to do what feels right and fun than trying to fit a publishing formula. These days publishers recognize their traditional formulas don't work and they are looking online for whatever is popular. Number of words and characters is irrelevant. Wordy prose is often crap - the challenge is always how to cut it down.

Can you post a link to your work?

I don't feel comfortable sharing my work on most websites.


_________________
Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 82 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 124 of 200
You are very likely neurotypical


naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Aug 2010
Age: 65
Gender: Male
Posts: 22,948
Location: temperate zone

19 Mar 2016, 1:03 pm

Any particular genre that your stories fit into?

Science fiction? Mystery?

Or just general purpose short stories?

In any case keep at it.



DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 3 Jul 2010
Age: 24
Gender: Female
Posts: 3,067
Location: Canada

19 Mar 2016, 1:24 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Any particular genre that your stories fit into?

Science fiction? Mystery?

Or just general purpose short stories?

In any case keep at it.

Mostly just short stories. I mostly write for my own enjoyment. I don't feel comfortable sharing them because people can be super critical. I'm not ready for honest critiques, so I just don't share them.


_________________
Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 82 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 124 of 200
You are very likely neurotypical