Page 1 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

psybot
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Jan 2006, 8:35 pm

This thread is purely for people to show off any musical Gems they've somehow come across.

PLEASE TAKE NOTE: This is for stuff that you don't here on the radio (except maybe some underground / student / pirate radios). This is for tunes that never made it, tunes that are strictly underground, and tunes that have been long forgotten.

This is tunes that only 1337 people, some DJs, musicologists and some musicians will know.

So if you're thinking of putting down some black sabbath song, don't. No disrespect to them, but they're too popular.

I don't want this thread to become clogged w/ things people already know about.

So I'll start off:

Ce Ce Rogers - Someday
http://www.discogs.com/release/122113

House track from '87... make sure it's the proper version, not like the instrumental club mix.

PS, the more info you can provide, the less work lazy people like me will have to do :wink:

Cade
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2006, 7:21 am

This was a radio DJ in Boston for a while. I think he lives in California now. I stubbled across him at the Mission of Burma myspace site. I like his stuff:

http://www.myspace.com/very

psybot
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Feb 2006, 2:10 am

I haven't yet heard them in depth but i borrowed a cd of This Mortal Coil. Beautiful stuff. A gothic? neo-classical? group of musicians formed in the '80s.

psybot
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Apr 2006, 8:34 am

obtained a copy of My Bloody Valentine - Loveless [1991]

supposedly the album which started the "Shoegaze" genre - could also be called stoner rock?

here's how i describe it:

-very mellow, smile on my face, sunny day in a field, stoner rock, no cares nor woes, don't care about time,

-focused more on warm chord progressions & harmonies than on beats

-very harmonius

just check out these track titles to know what i mean: Only Shallow, To Here Knows When, When You Sleep, Sometimes, Soon

psybot
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Apr 2006, 9:47 pm

Goblin - Suspiria (Celesta And Bells) (1977)

Track 9 from here:

http://www.discogs.com/release/458698

dark chilling piece, only 1 min, 50 seconds.. from a dark & chilling movie

psybot
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Apr 2006, 5:52 am

Beethoven - Piano Sonata no. 3, second movement.

psybot
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Apr 2006, 7:25 am

Ken Nordine - Hunger Is From

This is a very cool piece. Cool being the main word.. I found it on "The Beat Generation" compilation of Beatnick related tracks.

It's from 1957 and has a sort of beebop jazz bass in the background and a man with a deep voice talking. He's basically commentating his way through a midnight snack. "had some left over welsh rabbit.. mm i like this celery" etc for about 5 mins.

Such a harmless piece and always puts a smile on my face.

psybot
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Apr 2006, 7:04 am

I can't edit the topic starter post because of this *enter word here* rule that you can't edit your posts after 9999 minutes of posting them. ??.
Anyway, I felt that I sounded a bit arrogant in that post. So in my edit, I'd remove the following lines:

Quote:
This is for tunes that never made it, tunes that are strictly underground, and tunes that have been long forgotten.

This is tunes that only 1337 people, some DJs, musicologists and some musicians will know.

but leave the rest as it is.

I was hoping for more responses really.. :(

psybot
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Apr 2006, 7:27 am

Just discovered the band Suicide.

I borrowed their self-titled first LP from 1977.

I guess to categorise it one would call them New Wave. I don't feel this does them justice though. I feel that they'd fit more into the vague "krautrock" genre (even though they're New Yorkans, not Germans).

They were a duo with no guitars.. just a drum machine, a Farfisa organ & a few vocal effects boxes.. remember this is the mid-70s. One word comes to mind: pioneers.

I personally feel that these guys are the true pioneers of the 70s & 80s new-wave and pre-electro/techno movements.

Alright I'm going to go on a rant a little :twisted: :

I feel that The Ramones are just 50s rock'n'roll with a lot of distortion and a terrible vocalist.
I call The Sex Pistols "broadway punk". Seriously, after sucking in all the hype about The Sex Pistols I listened to a few cds and was disgusted at that singer's "showbiz"-like vocal. Some cool lyrics, but when I want poems, I'll read out for them..
I don't know too much about The Clash so don't want to comment. I love their song Rock The Cashbah. I did hear a best-of tape in a friends car once. I enjoyed that song... didn't enjoy any of the others buuut aaanyyway.

nukleuz
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

24 Apr 2006, 3:29 pm

Well, I'm more in to albums than songs. So I'll talk about my favorite / most underrated albums I have somehow come across. I don't think any of these guys are particularly well known, but I may be wrong.

Quicksilver Messenger Service - Happy Trails (1968)

QMS were one of the pioneers of the psychedelic sound of the late sixties. In fact they were the highest paid of all their psych counterparts (jefferson airplane, grateful dead, the doors etc.). But they never had a hit record and have since been forgotten. Rather than riding the wave Jefferson Airplane created with their early hits they spent a long time writing, practicing, and producing their self-titled debut album (which is also very good). They soon followed up with Happy Trails which is a collection of live recordings. Most notably a 25 minute cover of Bo Diddley's "Who Do You Love." One of the Grateful Dead members once said it was the song that best summed up the whole 60's experience. This album is an acid-drenched, distortion filled, guitar driven, bluesy, hard rock, jam masterpiece.

Moby Grape - Moby Grape (1967)

Moby Grape is another band from the psych genre. They had a more "folky" feel with a lot of focus on songwriting. They were managed poorly but maintained a strong underground following. Unlike QMS these guys are more popular now than they were in their short existence. Their music is kind of pop sounding, but enjoying nonetheless.

Can - Tago Mago (1971)

Can were one of the originators of the kraut rock sound. Imagine for a second a cross between Pink Floyds early work (Syd Barrett era) and modern day trance. As I understand it this album was made by editing several weeks worth of jams down into 7 to 20 minute excursions. I only like the first half, but the whole album is certainly worth a listen.

Captain Beefheart - Trout Mask Replica (1969)

This album is like a kick in the face. It completely defies category, even by todays standards. I wasn't sure if I should put this down just since some people have heard the name Captain Beefheart and have pre-existing notions of him being a Zappa clone. (although Beefheart himself would claim it is the other way around.) I just think everyone should hear this album at least once. It's kind of like a car crash; disturbing, yet impossible to ignore. I can't even listen to the whole thing in one sitting without getting a headache. You can still hear its reverberations on musicians today, yet you'll never hear anything quite like it from anyone else.

The United States of America - The United States of America (1968)

These guys were a revolutionary band. Not only did they play unconventional instruments, (electric violin, electric drums, fretless bass) they didn't have a guitarist! Which was sacrilege in those days. They were also one of the first bands to fully utilize the synthesizer. As a result it does sound a bit dated, but very retro-chic. Also their lead singer was female with a very unique voice. The band Portishead has a similar sound. Listening to this album is truly an out of body experience.

Captain Beyond - Captain Beyond (1972)

With the former bassist and guitarist from Iron Butterfly, a singer from Deep Purple, and the drummer from Johnny Winter's band these guys were an outright supergroup. What I like about these guys is they utilized a lot of the great things other progressive bands did (king crimson, yes, elp etc.) without the overuse of keyboards. They played hard edged prog-rock better than just about anyone else I have ever heard. Dare I say it? These guys are what Rush should have been.

Morphine - Yes (1995)

Morphine was another unconventional band. The three-piece played slide bass, saxophone, and a simple drum kit. On paper it doesn't sound too promising, but their music was surprisingly good. Some people call it "early morning chill out" music. I guess it's a pretty fitting title. Laid back, melancholy, yet driving music. The bassist/vocalist had a cool baritone that lodges itself in your brain for days. Morphine... addicting stuff.

Wow, I think I may have rambled a bit. Now if only I put that kind of diligence into studying for finals I may be able to get somewhere. Anyway, all of those albums are at least worth sampling.

Laura
Toucan
Toucan

26 Apr 2006, 6:50 am

Nukleuz I always like reading your stuff because it is always nicely set out and professionally done and nicely wrote and for that I congratulate you.

nukleuz
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

27 Apr 2006, 1:17 pm

haha, thanks.

alex
Developer
Developer

27 Apr 2006, 1:20 pm

Laura wrote:
Nukleuz I always like reading your stuff because it is always nicely set out and professionally done and nicely wrote and for that I congratulate you.

I agree. :D

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2006, 1:40 pm

BORIS- Pink, Akuma No Uta CD's
70's style sludge metal currently produced in Japan. Varies from droning 'Power Ambient' to shoegaze, to heavy 70's style metal with really heavey hook laden guitar riffage. The Japanese CD's are quite expensive, but they have US distro through Southern Lord ( http://www.southernlord.com/ )

THE BEVIS FROND - Miasma, Inner Marshland, Tryptich, Bevy of Fronds, Any Gas Faster, New River Head CD's

Nick Salomon recorded and released Miasma in 1986 on his own Woronzow label whilst recuperating from a near fatal motorcycle accident not expecting it to sell. It sold out quickly, and Salomon realised that there was a burgeoning retro psychedelic rock scene. The CD's listed have decidedly Lo-Fi anologue production which in my mind only accentuates the the heavy psychedelic songs contained on the CD's, replete with grinding, atmospheric Farfisa/Vox organs, and psychadelic Freakout guitar soloing though songs that can last longer than 15 minutes. The later CD's have more polished production, though musically it still sounds like it could have been released in 1969. Nick Salomon also produces the Fanzine Ptolemiac Terrascope, and the affiliated website Terrascope, ( http://www.terrascope.org ) as well as being involved with the international psychadelic rock festival Terrastock.

CAN - Tago Mago, Ege Bamyasi CD's

The definitve pioneers of the 'Krautrock' genre. Other people have talked about them, though to me the Tago Mago CD sounds like a cross between Syd Barrett era Pink Floyd with some of the more experimental work by Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention. They have a very heavy influence on much current ambient music. The Ege Bamyasi release is slightly more accessible to neophytes of the 'Krautrock' genre. Guitarist/ Recordist Holger Czukay has more recently been a guest conductor for the Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra.

NEU! - Self titled CD

Released in 1971, Neu! were yet another minimalistic Krautrock band who's style is also very influential. --Stereolab shamelessly ripped off the style in the 90's, so fans of them will be pleasantly surprised by Neu!, as well as be blown away by the fact that this was recorded in 1971.

HAWKWIND - In Search of Space, Doremifasolatido, Space Ritual (Live), Hall Of The Mountain Grill Cd's

While British psychedelic rock was mutating into artily pretentious prog rock, Hawkwind went the other way, stripping the sound down, cranked up the guitars, and sped it up. Expect loud, overdriven guitars, long and drawn out songs with heavy repetitive guitar driven melodies, and atmospheric synthesisers. Lyrically, the songs are heavily influenced by dystopian Science Fiction. Author Michael Morecock was a heavy influence on the band. Hawkwind also had a seemingly everchanging line up of musicians, and many side projects were formed. Their line up reads like a who's who of the '70's British Rock scene, with Bassist Lemmy Kilminster ( Motorhead) , and keyboardist Simon House (David Bowie) coming readily to mind. Other members went on to play in Uriah Heep, The Godz, and UFO, and many other bands.

Even though Hawkwind is still somewhat popular in the UK and the EU, they have only had marginal success in the US, and primarily have a 'Cult Band'status over here, their influence on heavy rock is pervasive and undeniable.

PIGFACE --All CD's

Pigface is the main musical vehicle of Martin Atkins, who was the original Public Image Ltd. drummer. Formed in Chicago, this industrial rock project has a rotating membership that reads like a who's who of the Industrial , Dance Industrial, Punk Rock, Post Punk, and 90's Rock scenes. List of current and past members is mostly courtesy of Wikipedia:

Patti Adachi
Steve Albini of Big Black, Rapeman, and Shellac
Martin Atkins of Public Image Ltd., Ministry, Brian Brain, Killing Joke, The Love Interest, Spasm, and Murder Inc
Paul Barker of Lead into Gold, Ministry, Revolting Cocks, PTP, Acid Horse, 1000 Homo DJs, Lard, Pailhead, and The Blackouts
Beefcake the Mighty of GWAR
Jello Biafra of Dead Kennedys and Lard
Bella Black
Bob Dog of Evil Mothers
Bones (FN Dangoy)
Fallon Bowman of Amphibious Assault and Kittie
Casper Brotzman of Massaker
Mary Byker of Gaye Bykers on Acid and Hyperhead
Meg Lee Chin (O' Leary) of Crunch and The Great White Trash
Chris Connelly of Ministry, PTP, Acid Horse, The Love Interest, FiniTribe, Murder Inc, and Revolting Cocks
Danny Carey of Tool
Arturo De Leon of Martyr Colony
Duane Denison of The Jesus Lizard and Tomahawk, Hank Williams III
Mike Dillon
Edsel Dope of Dope
Taime Downe of Faster Pussycat and The Newlydeads
Jamie Duffy of Acumen Nation and DJ? Acucrack
Hanin Elias of Atari Teenage Riot
En Esch Slick Idiot and formerly of KMFDM
The Enigma of The Jim Rose Circus
Paul Ferguson of Killing Joke, Murder Inc, and The Orb
Dirk Flannigan of 77 Luscious Babes
Flea of Red Hot Chili Peppers
Flour
Black Francis of Pixies
Fuzz of Silverfish
Dwayne Goettel of Skinny Puppy, Cyberaktif, and Doubting Thomas
Laura Gomel of My Life With the Thrill Kill Kult
Michael Gira of Swans
Chris Haskett of Rollins Band
Marc Heal of Cubanate
Barbara Hunter (Ruchoft) of Roundhead
Slymenstra Hymen of GWAR
Penn Jillette of Penn and Teller
Sean Joyce of Revolting Cocks
cEvin Key of Skinny Puppy, Cyberaktif, Doubting Thomas, Dead Voices on Air and Download
Algis Kizys of Swans
Krztoff of Bile
Keith Levene of Public Image Ltd.
Levi (Charles) Levi of My Life With the Thrill Kill Kult and Silence
Jared Louche of Chemlab
Lunar
Lydia Lunch
John Lydon of Public Image Ltd. and the Sex Pistols
Curse Mackey of Evil Mothers and Spasm
Groovie Mann of My Life With the Thrill Kill Kult
Jim Marcus of Die Warzau
Doug McCarthy of Nitzer Ebb
Jason McNinch of Lick
Kurt Moore
Jason More
Hope Nicholls of Snagglepuss, Sugarsmack, and Fetchin' Bones
Jason Novak of Acumen Nation and DJ? Acucrack
Nivek Ogre of Skinny Puppy, ohGr, Revolting Cocks, and Ministry
Genesis P-Orridge (Jennifer) of Psychic TV and Throbbing Gristle
Alex Patterson of The Orb
Sean Payne of Cyanotic
Eric Pounder of Pounder and Dead Voices on Air
Chris Randall of Sister Machine Gun
Leslie Rankine of Silverfish and Ruby
Paul Raven of Prong, Murder Inc, and Killing Joke
Trent Reznor of Nine Inch Nails
Bill Rieflin of Ministry, Revolting Cocks, Acid Horse, PTP, 1000 Homo DJs, Lard, Pailhead, The Blackouts, Swans, KMFDM, and R.E.M.
Stuart Saint of Egypticon
Geunter Shulz of Slick Idiot and formerly KMFDM
Matt Schultz of Lab Report
Seibold of Hate Dept.
Shonen Knife
Siggy of The Sugarcubes
David William Sims of The Jesus Lizard and Scratch Acid
Jonny Sharples of Adelleda
Pat Sprawl of Skinny Puppy and Dead Surf Kiss
Louis Svitek of Mind Funk, Ministry, and Front Line Assembly
David Suycott of Stabbing Westward
James Teitelbaum of Evil Clowns and Silence
Terry
J. G. Thirlwell (AKA Clint Ruin) of Foetus, Wiseblood, Steroid Maximus, and about 19 others...
Dave Trumfio
Joe Trump of Eliott Sharp's Carbon
William Tucker of My Life With the Thrill Kill Kult and Ministry
Chris Vrenna of Nine Inch Nails, Tweaker and The Smashing Pumpkins
Mark Walk of Ruby
Geordie Walker of Killing Joke
Scott Watanabe
Andrew Weiss of Rollins Band, Butthole Surfers, and Ween
David Yow of The Jesus Lizard and Scratch Acid

Pigface has either never gained popular commercial success, or has taken great effort to deftly elude it. Due to the great variety of people who have been involved with the project, their output has been incredibly diverse.

psybot
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 May 2006, 9:36 am

Cool. Thanks nukleuz and Fogman. Just the sort of information I'm looking for :D .

Another one:

Erik Satie - Enfantillages Pittoresques

I'm not sure how many of these there are but particularily number 1 & 2. By trying to describe these pieces I'd be trying to take a photo with a sledgehammer. Alright, I admit it!! I'm unashamedly a sucker for Satie!

psybot
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 May 2006, 2:29 am

Very very mellow and gentle track:

Califone - Rattlesnakes Smell Like Split Cucumber

Don't be put off by the name - the name makes it sound like a stupid song imho

It seems very folky but it's not like a happy smily sugary gentle folk song - the chord progressions have almost a dark feel. It's just a couple of guitars and vocals.. the lead vocalist has a smoky voice in the sense of kurt cobain