Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

BrokenPieces
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2017, 2:49 pm

Does anyone have sewing as a special interest? If so, what do you like to make?

I have made a few clothing items for myself, an apron, and a pair of pajamas for my aunt. Right now I'm looking into making a pouf (ottoman) because I've developed a strange obsession with them.

I am self-taught and I really like the math aspect. I can't follow commercial patterns because I have a problem with directions. Those pajamas I mentioned took me three years to make because I followed a pattern. The only reason I finished them was because I disgarded the pattern and did it my way.

HermioneG
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Jun 2017, 7:43 pm

Commercial patterns make little sense to me as well. Right now my sewing machine is in storage but as soon as we move to a new place, I'll be able to use it again.

I've made quite a few Adventure Time hats, mostly by hand from a tutorial online. For some reason, those make a whole lot more sense to me (I guess because they're not written in some ancient sewing language that I don't understand). I've made pajamas and a top before using a pattern but I had help at the time. I've made pillow cases on my own just searching and kind of figuring it out on my own with the help of the internet and pictures. Those are fun for presents too.

I'm going to try making a Viking apron dress when I get my sewing machine back as well as a cotehardie (14th to 16th century European). I enjoy historical fashion and these don't seem too awful hard. It helps I have friends who sew and make their own patterns in the history group I frequent.

You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)
~Unofficially diagnosed but fairly certain based on personal research that I am an Aspie~

BrokenPieces
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2017, 5:55 pm

I made a couple of pillowcase for my sister too, as well as some curtains.

I also love historical fashion (I refer to this style as old world fashion). I own several corsets but I've yet to make my own. I'd like to look into making a Viking apron dress and maybe a cotehardie. I love these and never knew what they were called.

The apron I made is a pinefore apron. I'd like to make more but I can't wear them everywhere and my mom would have a fit if I tried to walk out in some of the things I want to wear. She told me I'm not allowed to wear a petticoat as long as I live with her. :lol: No idea why though.