Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2009, 8:35 pm

I'll admit, I really liked these guys a lot with Roya Arab fronting the vocals on their stuff; after that - I don't know, it seemed like it got too mellow and too much like Pink Floyd influence was overwhelming it.

Tonight just in listening to a few tunes from this on Youtube; I really think they've changed my mind. It sounds like they're going back to solid trip-hop, its always best when these artists come back with their own emotional style and evolving it into something that can take on its own life. This kind of reminds me of the emotional arena that Muse (occasionally Block Party as well) likes to explore, chasing the dirty corners of the emotional floorboards even more though. All I know at this point - I'll be on Amazon and so long as its available, I'll have this one in a couple weeks; I'll be able to tell you guys all about it ;).

Just to give a sense of what I'm rambling on about:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdSd60nD8QE&feature=related[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lhJSsdxlSc[/youtube]

computerlove
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2009, 9:28 pm

sounds nnice, thx, hopefully will fill the hole left by the last Bloc Party album, a bit disappointing...

Billie_D
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 Jun 2009, 4:24 am

Actually, I was listening to the CD as I was browsing the forum
Have to say that I love it!
But there is a certain PinkFloyd influence, just not as strong as in the previous album (haven't listened the others) and they have a more trip-hop sound.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2009, 6:15 pm

Billie_D wrote:
Actually, I was listening to the CD as I was browsing the forum
Have to say that I love it!
But there is a certain PinkFloyd influence, just not as strong as in the previous album (haven't listened the others) and they have a more trip-hop sound.

I just wish there was someone to pick up, maybe another band, where Roya left off. Listening to Londinium or Rainbows of Colour, very sick biz. Massive Attack has their angles that they nail, Tricky has his own solo project angles that he nailed, I guess I'll just have to keep my ear to the ground. I'm kinda looking for something that has an emotional tangent that's really primal and spiritual, playing off that hold mediaeval taro-card kinda feel and blending modern day archetypes with the ancient (that's easy with good d&b these days, much harder to find in anything lyrically oriented).

computerlove
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2009, 8:58 pm

^ not too related but have you listened to Primal scream's Evil heat?

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2009, 12:23 am

Haven't. Looks like youtube is a bit shy on it as well :? .

I'll have to take a look around for it one of these days soon to see if I can find some audio.

This is also really good, reminds me a lot of what I liked in their original cd (I think this is one of the original rappers who was on there as well?):

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNa8sBQDt44&feature=related[/youtube]

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2009, 2:58 pm

Just came in the mail from Amazon.com today.

I'm on track 5 and quite honestly I haven't been this exited me this much since I got my hands on Mobb Deep - Hell on Earth (which is another cd that the beats, the melody, the vocals, not only is the cd perfectly matched but the feel of it is amazing beyond words). Just like Hell On Earth, I think this will probably get months and months....and months....of play 3 times a week. That and, in both cases, it tells me as a musician that I NEED to get my s--- together, if you ever wonder what compels an artist to create its hearing stuff that speaks to the soul and enthralls you like a prayer, like a divine revelation, like something that's lifted so far above the game its completely unreal and gives you hope in ways that you can't explain - and naturally, the need comes to turn around, take that energy, and mind-elevate within your own medium of tapestry.

Heck, get the two side by side for all I care! Go Dangermouse and mix Acappellas :lol:. I'm sipping whiskey listening to this, no blaze but it'd be a heck of a nice touch ;).

(if you cant tell yes - I get inordinately excited about music, probably more than most things in life).

Hope I'm not sounding like a nut with this but, if I am - I have a good excuse, download it first if your skeptical of my enthusiasm :). If you think I'm just a blowhard who has no idea what he's talking about - awesome, have at it and miss out, I could care less cuz I've got my fix :wink: .

Ligea_Seroua
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2009, 5:27 pm

Ooh, thanks for drawing my attention to this :lol:

And in a similar vein, if you havent already got it, Bomb the Bass "Future Chaos" has a similar ish feel. AND, if you like "Black River" on that, you'll also like Soul Savers and Mark Lanegan.

And on the anthemic epic electonica/alt rock thing, The Twilight Singers-particularly Powder Burns is more rocky, whilst The Gutter Twins (Dulli and Lanegan) is more bluesy/scary. I wont flood your thread with links, but yes, most of this stuff is on you tube if you want to find it :)

computerlove
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2009, 11:30 pm

@techstepp: speaking of DangerMouse, have you heard the latest cd? great one, Dark Night of the Soul: check it

if you like Mobb Depp, do you like De la Soul+Doom? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6etQFkHAyqk

@Ligea: DAMN! 8O
I have the K&D sessions cds, but never bothered to check more about Bomb the Bass (I already knew the others), and just now, eons later, decided to check Bug Dust and others, nice 8)

...and you say you have nothing to add? :lol:

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2009, 10:10 pm

Ligea and Computerlove - definitely appreciate the suggestions. I think what I find is that there are certain kinds of moods that really feel like they emotionally bolster and reinforce me and others that pull me off center, I think that's why I kind of tend to dial in on certain kinds of sound rather specifically.