Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

persian85033
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2010, 9:12 am

Anyone know if I can find an English or Spanish copy of Histoire de la Monarchie universelle: Napoléon et la conquête du monde (1812–1832) (History of the Universal Monarchy: Napoleon And The Conquest Of The World)?

"Of all God's creatures, there is only one that cannot be made slave of the leash. That one is the cat. If man could be crossed with the cat it would improve the man, but it would deteriorate the cat." - Mark Twain

Dylanperr
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2019, 10:49 pm

I like alternate history as well.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2019, 12:40 am

Alternate history is always fun. One of my favorites is Lest Darkness Fall, by L. Sprague De Camp.

Dylanperr
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2019, 12:51 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
Alternate history is always fun. One of my favorites is Lest Darkness Fall, by L. Sprague De Camp.

What is that?

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2019, 1:23 am

Dylanperr wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

What is that?

A history professor named Martin Padway, while visiting pre-WWII Italy, just after having a discussion about alternate timelines, is suddenly thrust back into 6th century Rome ruled by the Ostrogoths. Attempting to avert the Dark Ages, he inserts himself into Ostrogoth politics with his knowledge of history in order to keep the crude but tolerant Goths in power, defeating the Byzantine invasion which would otherwise leave Italy a blackened boneyard.

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2019, 12:31 am

Turtledove is one of the masters of the genre.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2019, 5:13 pm

11/22/63 by Stephen King is also a great book if you want to read something set on an epic scale.

It asks the question: What would the world be like if JFK survived his assassination?

The book's lead protagonist is high school teacher Jake Epping who is told by an acquaintance to go back in time to prevent the assassination of JFK before it actually happens. When Jake arrives, he becomes attached to his new life so much that his feelings could be the undoing of his mission. He also falls in love and in turn has to decide whether to lie about himself or to tell the truth about himself.

The book was made into a mini-series in 2016 with James Franco as Jake and produced by JJ Abrams.