Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2019, 9:06 pm

I had a friend who was a year younger then me. His Dad had a business dealing with cash registers and things like that. He also had the sticky price label machines, and boxes full of these rolls of price labels.
Well. When I was in the last year of primary school or just after, he gave me three reels of stickers. His Dad didn't know. I used a few but there were thousands per reel so I had loads.One day about two years later when he had just started secondary school, I brought a reel to school. I thought nothing of it. I can't remember why I brought them.One or two kids in my class saw them and begged to have some. I gave about ten to a kid... Then lots of kids wanted them and I said a penny for 10, with the thought that they wouldn't keep pestering me if it cost them money.
A penny for 10 and this still didn't stop the other pupils from my class from asking for more. However, I was starting to get quite a lot of pennies, so I let things carry on. I went through an entire reel of labels and I told my friend who gave them to me. He also started selling them. I think he may have given me one extra reel.
About two and a half rolls later I started noticing stickers all round the school. Uhoh! When I saw our Headmasters black gown covered with stickers that very daring kiddies had decided he was the ultimate target, I decided to stop supplying stickers, but my friend carried on for a few reels!
Another funny thing happened was that kids were coming up to me offering stickers 2p for 10, and then another kid further down the sticker supply chain tried to sell me some for 5p for 10, and still another even further down te sticker supply chain was selling them for a penny each! The stickers had quickly become out of hand. Teachers were tracing back who was supplying them, and I was asked. I truthfully said that I had them from my friend. He picked on one of the 10p sellers and the teachers kept going round in circles. I was asked at least twice!
Well. My friend stopped supplying stickers when his Dad gave him a lift home from school one day, and on every lamp post and every telegraph post all the way home he saw stickers. Even the road signs had stickers on them!
His Dad saw one or two and said "I have some of those" but his Dad didn't realize they were his stickers!
Well, it took another six months before the stickers ran out. The school was plastered in the things, and so were much of the small town the school was in along with neighbouring village where we lived!

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2019, 9:16 pm

^^^that is a most curious fad.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2019, 6:57 pm

auntblabby wrote:
^^^that is a most curious fad.

Yes. My friend and I were responsible for a whole outbreak of stickers! They caught on soo fast!

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2019, 7:00 pm

i sorta wish my elementary school days' faux fart fad had caught on.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2019, 7:03 pm

auntblabby wrote:

No idea what that is or means? Farted? :mrgreen:

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2019, 7:05 pm

Mountain Goat wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

false farts, IOW making flatulent noises by placing the heel of my hands on each mouth corner, and blowing hard. "PHPBTPBTPBTHTH!!"

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2019, 7:28 pm

auntblabby wrote:
Mountain Goat wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

false farts, IOW making flatulent noises by placing the heel of my hands on each mouth corner, and blowing hard. "PHPBTPBTPBTHTH!!"

Now that's what I call an onomatopoeia!

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2019, 7:35 pm

Mountain Goat wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
Mountain Goat wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

Now that's what I call an onomatopoeia!

one from both ends of the situation :mrgreen:

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2019, 4:18 am

Umm. Yes.