Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2019, 8:42 pm

Well. Not sure why or when marble season would begin. No one knew. It would be one of those things. But when I was in primary school all of a sudden marble season broke out. We would have various games where we would play for keeps. Marbles were not cheap. Some kids parents would buy them every week. Well. Some days I would win marbles, but mostly I would gradually lose marbles.
When I ran short of marbles, I looked for another alternative and the only thing I found was dried round goat poo, so I went in the goatshed on the hunt for "Marbles".
Growing up on a smallholding where one would often have ones hands in muck, we were taught that it was ok to handle goat poo as long as we made sure we washed our hands afterwards.
I played these "Pellets" to win some marbles back and I had partial success. My parents were not rich like the other parents, so it was either that or end up being the only kid who was not playing marbles.
The kids seeing the goat pellets wanted some for themselves, as I guess they looked different. I didn't tell them what they were of course, but I did warn them to wash their hands after using them. I ended up in business swapping either 5 or 10 goat pellets for one marble. This kept me going for about a month or more until one kid came to me and said "I am sorry, but my Mum and Dad said I am not allowed to swap marbles with you. I think word got around the parents somehow as marble season ended after that.... Though no one said anything directly to me, and my parents didn't know what I was doing. I did end up with lots of marbles for my patience in the goatshed though. My Mum had been puzzled why I spent so much time in there! :D

Last edited by Mountain Goat on Febuary 31st, 2026, 12:42 am, edited 126 time in total.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2019, 7:07 pm

So I have realized how easily it is to stop a fashion like marble season. And I found out how easy it was to start sticker season (See other thread). Uhmm. It makes me think how easy it is to start a whole new fashion if I can get others to "Capture" the vision.

Last edited by Mountain Goat on Febuary 31st, 2026, 12:42 am, edited 126 time in total.

Borromeo
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2019, 11:19 pm

This is brilliant!

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2019, 4:17 am

Just one of those things that happened when I was a child.

Stardust_Dragonfly
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2019, 8:27 am

Your memories of marbles have been great to read, especially this:

Mountain Goat wrote:
When I ran short of marbles, I looked for another alternative and the only thing I found was dried round goat poo, so I went in the goatshed on the hunt for "Marbles".
Growing up on a smallholding where one would often have ones hands in muck, we were taught that it was ok to handle goat poo as long as we made sure we washed our hands afterwards.
I played these "Pellets" to win some marbles back and I had partial success. My parents were not rich like the other parents, so it was either that or end up being the only kid who was not playing marbles.
The kids seeing the goat pellets wanted some for themselves, as I guess they looked different. I didn't tell them what they were of course, but I did warn them to wash their hands after using them.
:lol: :lol: made me laugh! I can just imagine all the kids after those special marbles!

I used to love marbles! I had my prized ones that I tried to keep safe, they looked like tiny galaxies and the ones that were called 'tigers eyes', and the huge ones. When I was younger for some reason we played marbles in the street, which meant that you ended up losing more down a grid than to others! :lol:

(Completely off-topic but I saw this program and it sounded like one you'd like! https://www.my5.tv/world-s-most-scenic-railway-journeys/season-1 there is one in Wales!)

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2019, 1:24 pm

Yes. I saw that bit. Was in North Wales. I was in those areas last week..

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2020, 8:26 pm

Anyone remember a 1970's game with marbles called "Kerplunk"?

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2020, 8:59 am

Mountain Goat wrote:
Well. Not sure why or when marble season would begin. No one knew. It would be one of those things. But when I was in primary school all of a sudden marble season broke out. We would have various games where we would play for keeps. Marbles were not cheap. Some kids parents would buy them every week. Well. Some days I would win marbles, but mostly I would gradually lose marbles.
The kids seeing the goat pellets wanted some for themselves, as I guess they looked different. I didn't tell them what they were of course, but I did warn them to wash their hands after using them. I ended up in business swapping either 5 or 10 goat pellets for one marble. This kept me going for about a month or more until one kid came to me and said "I am sorry, but my Mum and Dad said I am not allowed to swap marbles with you. I think word got around the parents somehow as marble season ended after that.... Though no one said anything directly to me, and my parents didn't know what I was doing. I did end up with lots of marbles for my patience in the goatshed though. My Mum had been puzzled why I spent so much time in there! :D

Lolololololololzzzzzzzzzz. He he he.........
Making a business outta goat dung ....... yes I guessed right you were a entrepreneur from way back .
Pretty impressive. He he he ..... precious

where ever you go ,there you are