Am I the only Aspies who loves drama?

Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2021, 1:09 pm

I don't read many books but if I do it's always fiction that revolves around lots of emotion and social interaction. It appeals to me. And I watch drama-based series or comedies and get right into them, getting emotionally attached to the characters and the storylines.

I hate things that a lot of Aspies like, like Star Trek and action movies and marvel stuff. Boooooring!! !

Is it unusual for an Aspie to be into drama stuff and find lots of mundane social interaction and emotions interesting? I can really relate to it and I get so emotionally involved with the characters, to the point where I start doing fanfiction.

NaturalEntity
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2021, 3:34 pm

With me it honestly depends on how over the top it is. I like drama if I'm genuinely invested in the work, but even then not too much. But if it's Coronation Street style I don't like it.

Jiheisho
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2021, 9:46 pm

I like drama (although not in my personal life ;) ). I do enjoy complex human relationships and dialog. And likewise, I am not really interested in SciFi and such.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2021, 7:11 pm

Joe90 wrote:

Is it unusual for an Aspie to be into drama stuff and find lots of mundane social interaction and emotions interesting?

No not at all. We all have different preferences regarding genre.

I like many enjoy "genre stuff" such as Star Trek, Marvel, good sci-fi, etc.

However, I don't mind watching a good drama film as long as the story is good and the characters
keep the film from not being a bore.

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2021, 11:20 am

I enjoy melodrama! Pre-code melodramatic movies with Marlene Dietrich, or some of the current chinese arthouse films that reach the west, like 'ash is purest white' or 'Kaili Blues'

However, I find pure drama where there is no historic background, where it's about so-called "universal" themes rather boring...

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2021, 11:26 am

I like a good story with well-developed characters and a character-driven plotline.

What I do not like in a story are gratuitous expressions of drama, sex, and violence.  Sure, if such an activity seems like a reasonable expression of a character's personality, then I am fine with it; but when these activities occur for no particular reason -- if their omission does not diminish the story in the least -- then why not just leave them out?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2021, 11:46 am

It's not trains? Boooring! :D :D :D

Hehehe!

Well. It is what you like. Everyone likes different things and some like the same things. It is how we are as human beans.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2021, 11:54 am

I like dramas. The Good Wife and Better Call Saul are the 2 I've enjoyed most over the past few years.

I watched The Queens Gambit. I liked the relationship between the adoptive mum and the main character, but the rest I found boring.

NaturalEntity
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2021, 2:18 pm

Fnord wrote:
I like a good story with well-developed characters and a character-driven plotline.

What I do not like in a story are gratuitous expressions of drama, sex, and violence.  Sure, if such an activity seems like a reasonable expression of a character's personality, then I am fine with it; but when these activities occur for no particular reason -- if their omission does not diminish the story in the least -- then why not just leave them out?

Agree with you on that. One of my own narratives is very character-driven. (It's also private. I prefer not to share my writing with strangers.)

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2021, 3:17 pm

It depends. I like the show 24, because all the extreme drama is justified, if a nuclear bomb is going to likely go off that day for example. But I can't stand Grey's Anatomy, because everyone is yelling in each other's faces, even though a nuclear war is not on the verge of happening at all to justify all the extreme drama.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2021, 7:30 pm

Mountain Goat wrote:

Hehehe!

Well. It is what you like. Everyone likes different things and some like the same things. It is how we are as human beans.

The most interesting thing about trains to me probably is Thomas the Tank Engine because those trains interact with each other and if you watch it as an adult you notice more that a lot of drama, cliqueness and bitchiness goes on among those trains. :lol:

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2021, 7:49 pm

Joe90 wrote:
Mountain Goat wrote:

Hehehe!

The most interesting thing about trains to me probably is Thomas the Tank Engine because those trains interact with each other and if you watch it as an adult you notice more that a lot of drama, cliqueness and bitchiness goes on among those trains. :lol:

I kinda met the vicar who wrote them once. I did not talk to him as he was at a stand waiting for children and I was in my mid 30's. We smiled at each other. :) He used to like attending that model railway show in Wales which is usually held there once a year. His son now writes the books.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2021, 10:57 pm

My family and I enjoy watching some British drama shows.

KT67
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2021, 6:20 am

I thought you meant irl! Nobody likes irl drama!

I like Riverdale and River City.

And I watch Corrie out of duty to family and sometimes I enjoy it.

Only when a lot of stuff is going on though. I hate filler.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2021, 10:12 pm

Does the OP have an appreciation of Shakespeare? Lots of drama in his plays. Some pretty first rate movies have been based on his plays (unfortunately some terrible ones, too).

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2021, 5:02 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
Does the OP have an appreciation of Shakespeare? Lots of drama in his plays. Some pretty first rate movies have been based on his plays (unfortunately some terrible ones, too).

Actually no. I find Shakespeare rather boring and too serious. I prefer more modern drama like TV drama.