Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2022, 7:40 pm

I have and do use oil based enamels for my models. However, since Humberol was taken over by Hornby and production moved to China the paint quality went so bad that I have had to abandon the brand altogether.
The problem is that I need alternatives which are not easy to find.
Now many modellers have turned to acrillics instead. But I know oil enamels work well for me. So I have a question.
Artists often use oil based paints and I can usually get these. Are these the same as oil based enamels I use on my models? Will they work the same?

I want the option of running my trains outdoors if I desire so paint must be good with weather. I also want a choice between matt and gloss as I paint locomotives ans coaches in gloss, and waggons and vans in matt.

Juliette
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2022, 8:01 pm

I’d be using Revell(US brand) as artists paints aren’t suitable for your models.

Last edited by Juliette on 22 Jan 2022, 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2022, 8:06 pm

I was buying exterior paint test pots but some is a bit thick.

Hardly any shops sell anything unless it is Humberol which costs a fortune and is more like water! They used to be good in the past.

I am not sure where to get Revel.

Juliette
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2022, 8:16 pm

Revell is sold in most UK model shops, along with Humbrol. It’s also in Hobby stores, Ebay, Amazon etc.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2022, 8:18 pm

Thanks.