The most unautistic music genres/scenes

Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2013, 12:55 am

Disco
The one exception might be Georgio Moroder inventing the Asperien like idea of machines and beat being more important the the singers and songwriters which was quite controversial at the time. But the whole Studio 54 phenomena where you had to where the right clothes or be from an upper echelon social group to get in, people lining up for hours hoping to get in and raise thier social status sex and drugs in the bathroom, guys with the open shirt, hairy chest and chains look, flashing lights, not autistic

Hair Metal
Heavy metal itself had a lot of sci fi/fantasy themes that would later show up in video games. But the hair metal subgenre was all about cockiness most of the videos were the same, guy band member motions the most scantly dressed and model type girl(s) from audience for later sex. A lot of double entendre lyrics ie not directly saying what they meant

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2013, 4:56 am

I understand what you mean.

I avoided the discos like the plague because they were loud, flashy, extremely social - everything that I wasn't.

Can you see David Lee Roth relating to a quiet Aspergian? He once said, "The reason the critics love Elvis Costello and not Van Halen is because they look like him."

Disco and hair metal are way too extroverted for an introvert's taste.

It'd be nice if there was such a thing as nerd rock, an event you can go to by yourself and people won't look at you like you're crazy.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2013, 7:32 am

I think the most NT form of music is hard-core classic American rock of the sort Lee Atwater played (look it up).

I actually like disco. I always preferred it to most rock. Never went to a disco, though. But you certainly don't have to be NT to dress up.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2013, 7:55 am

MaxE wrote:
I think the most NT form of music is hard-core classic American rock of the sort Lee Atwater played (look it up).

I actually like disco. I always preferred it to most rock. Never went to a disco, though. But you certainly don't have to be NT to dress up.

Hard Rock, Glam Metal, same thing. Anyway, in the terms of rock music, hardcore is exclusively used to refer to hardcore punk, which is very much NOT "NT".

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaOzbsv2ZB0[/youtube]

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2013, 10:59 am

Ganondox wrote:
MaxE wrote:

Hard Rock, Glam Metal, same thing. Anyway, in the terms of rock music, hardcore is exclusively used to refer to hardcore punk, which is very much NOT "NT".

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaOzbsv2ZB0[/youtube]

Slam dancing is NT to the core but the blunt lyrics and inappropriate anti establishment attitude and anger with hardcore could appeal to people on the spectrum who have been bullied and cast aside by the mainstream.

The original 1970's British glam metal lake Sweet and Slade were NT but in a fun way but the 1980s LA Hair Metal version was mostly bad copycat stuff and really not about the music.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2013, 11:21 am

redrobin62 wrote:

I avoided the discos like the plague because they were loud, flashy, extremely social - everything that I wasn't.

Can you see David Lee Roth relating to a quiet Aspergian? He once said, "The reason the critics love Elvis Costello and not Van Halen is because they look like him."

It'd be nice if there was such a thing as nerd rock, an event you can go to by yourself and people won't look at you like you're crazy.

It does not have a name but nerdy and geeky rock has been around since Buddy Holly. In the late 70's you had spastic groups Talking Heads, Devo, XTC , Morrissey and They Might Be Giants in the mid late 80's set the stage for a lot of geeky indie rock (although a lot of of has the ring of a marketing gimmick)

And there is this
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nerdcore_hip_hop

Twolf
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Nov 2013, 4:08 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
redrobin62 wrote:

It does not have a name but nerdy and geeky rock has been around since Buddy Holly. In the late 70's you had spastic groups Talking Heads, Devo, XTC , Morrissey and They Might Be Giants in the mid late 80's set the stage for a lot of geeky indie rock (although a lot of of has the ring of a marketing gimmick)

And there is this

Funny thing is, I love listening to disco and I'm an introvert. I love metal too. I listen to all kinds of genres. You won't ever find me in a disco or club for all the same reasons you listed.

I love Devo. Don't forget Kraftwerk. :D

CyclopsSummers
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2013, 4:31 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:

And there is this

I think redrobin was referring more to the nature of live concerts themselves, and not so much whether the artists/bands present themselves as geeky or nerdy.
I love fusion rock band Living Colour - though they're not so much nerdy, they have an off-beat, alternative style to them - intelligent, socially-conscious lyrics that sometimes talk of loneliness, isolation, straying from the mainstream, so appealing to me as a nerd. But I went to a Living Colour concert once, and even though I consider it one of the greatest experiences of my life and the band sounded amazing, there was some nerd-unfriendly stuff going on, such as a mosh pit and a fair amount of consumption of alcoholic drinks by a portion of the audience. One could also even call the acoustics at that particular concert autism-unfriendly.

I think what redrobin is getting at, is a type of rock concert where you can listen to the music without bumping into other people, or have to listen to chatter disrupting the listening experience, et cetera. Without it necessarily having to be an acoustic set.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2013, 7:02 pm

Ganondox wrote:
MaxE wrote:

I used "hard-core" as the modifier noun defined by Google as "the most active, committed, or doctrinaire members of a group or movement." Meaning, in this case, the most mainstream practitioners of Rock esp. in the US of the 70's. People like Tom Petty and Bob Seger. Not that there is anything the least bit wrong with those musicians or their music. I did not intend to mean a specific genre of punk (if anybody truly knows what that means save for the music of the Sex Pistols).

To me this kind of music seems very NT because it's very tribal. The kind the dudes who hang out on the street corner in South Philly will never beat you up for listening to.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2013, 12:38 am

CyclopsSummers wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:

And there is this

I think redrobin was referring more to the nature of live concerts themselves, and not so much whether the artists/bands present themselves as geeky or nerdy.
I love fusion rock band Living Colour - though they're not so much nerdy, they have an off-beat, alternative style to them - intelligent, socially-conscious lyrics that sometimes talk of loneliness, isolation, straying from the mainstream, so appealing to me as a nerd. But I went to a Living Colour concert once, and even though I consider it one of the greatest experiences of my life and the band sounded amazing, there was some nerd-unfriendly stuff going on, such as a mosh pit and a fair amount of consumption of alcoholic drinks by a portion of the audience. One could also even call the acoustics at that particular concert autism-unfriendly.

I think what redrobin is getting at, is a type of rock concert where you can listen to the music without bumping into other people, or have to listen to chatter disrupting the listening experience, et cetera. Without it necessarily having to be an acoustic set.

There was this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nerdapalooza. You probably would not have bumped into too many people at this years event because they went bankrupt for lack of attendance.

Living Colour was great

AutisticMillionaire
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Nov 2013, 11:56 am

When I was a kid I liked metal and hard rock (from Iron maiden to Rush) because I liked the fantastic themes...from Lord of the Rings, to Egyptian gods, to songs based on history and myth. It was music about something beyond a singers personal experiences that I really liked.

I still like it, I just don't have the time to listen to music as I did in my youth. In the pre-internet of 1980s suburbia, music really was the only entertainment constant that we had.

"What do I care about law? Ain't I got the power?"
Cornelius Vanderbilt

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2013, 9:52 pm

MaxE wrote:
Ganondox wrote:
MaxE wrote:

I used "hard-core" as the modifier noun defined by Google as "the most active, committed, or doctrinaire members of a group or movement." Meaning, in this case, the most mainstream practitioners of Rock esp. in the US of the 70's. People like Tom Petty and Bob Seger. Not that there is anything the least bit wrong with those musicians or their music. I did not intend to mean a specific genre of punk (if anybody truly knows what that means save for the music of the Sex Pistols).

To me this kind of music seems very NT because it's very tribal. The kind the dudes who hang out on the street corner in South Philly will never beat you up for listening to.

No one uses hardcore to mean the most mainstream, it means the exact opposite, the most extreme. The hardcore fans something are the opposite of the mainstream fans. I knew what you were referring to, but you were still using the word 1. incorrectly as an adjective and 2. incorrectly as a descriptor of rock music.

Most people seem to think Punk is Pop Punk, not even the Sex Pistols anymore :P.

CyclopsSummers wrote:

I think Dream Theater has some concerts like that specifically to avoid moshing and get people to focus on the actual music. There is also this venue where I live were the concerts sort of have to be like that due to the unusual shape of the seating.

jamesmb113
Butterfly
Butterfly

16 Nov 2013, 6:52 am

Personally, I love heavy metal and Disco.

On earphones.

In the library.

As far away and physically seperated from other people as I can get.

Re nerd rock : give Iron Maiden a try. Long, involved instrumentals + lyrics drawn from Science Fiction, History, Literature and Horror.

The most non-NT rocker I can think of is Frank Zappa.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2013, 7:50 pm

jamesmb113 wrote:
Personally, I love heavy metal and Disco.

Well the genre here is Hair Metal, not Heavy Metal.

jamesmb113
Butterfly
Butterfly

19 Nov 2013, 3:12 am

Granadox,

Perhaps thats a distinction your generation makes.

Back in the day, we either used the terms interchangeably, or designated what the metal you're referring to with the colorful modifier "Heavy f*****g Metal!! !"

The hair metal bands were just referred to as "posers", but there was a certain pecking order

1) Woe to those who lumped Judas Priest in with the hair metal bands.

2) Likewise AC/DC

3)One could definitely listen to the Scorpions and KISS, and still be taken seriously.

4) Motley Crue was mandatory, though a dissenting opinion accorded them poser status with the "Theater of Pain" album.

5) Def Leppard gave you a credibility penalty, but not too much. Definitely not as much as Poison and Europe.

I listen to all of the above, but again., far away from people.

It takes an all time favorite band to get me to a big rock show. I sit and listen as if I were at a Symphony concert.

jamesmb113
Butterfly
Butterfly

19 Nov 2013, 3:21 am

tl;dr - if the DJ at a school dance would play it, it was no longer metal.

Some of the things your generation calls "Hair Metal" were acceptable. Certain terms and conditions applied. These designations might not apply on all areas
Consult an old fart for further details