Page 5 of 7 [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Fridge
Butterfly
Butterfly

10 Jan 2008, 6:59 am

I've been playing for years and currently do about 2 gigs a month in a covers band

My guitar of choice is a Gibson Les Paul

cadmonkey33
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 Jan 2008, 9:26 am

ive been playing guitar for about 15 years, piano for 5 years, and drums for about a month.
im a lefty but i play right handed guitar, and left handed drums. dont think theres such a thing as a left handed piano, but i sometimes wish there was.
ive been in a couple of bands. I love rehearsals, but i hate being on stage, so i usually drop out when it gets serious. :roll:
im only ever interested in one at a time. currently drums, i havent played piano or guitar since i got my drumkit, but eventually i'll hear some cool piano in a song and start playing piano obsessively and not touch my drumkit for ages.
thats the same with all my interests, only ever care about one at a time.

ive got a hohner les paul copy with genuine les paul pickups.
a takamine g series acoustic.
a roland hp3 digital piano
and a roland td6 kx digital drumkit.

Bigbang
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Jan 2008, 1:01 pm

I just bought the following :

- DigiTech GSP-21-Pro, a digital guitar processor
- Gallien-Krueger power-amp (120 W)
- 2 separate 12'' Gallien-Krueger speakers (80W each)

All for the price of 1100$ CAN... all the stuff is used but looks brand new!

Everything sound amazing! I can create whatever sound I want to with the digital processor ; from Pink Floyd delayed guitars to blues to amazing distortion!

EvilKimEvil
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2008, 12:58 am

Nambo wrote:
Heres some of mine

That Honeyburst is a Gibby.

And a couple more

The Gold Epiphone sounds very reasonable since I fitted a pair of SD Phat Cats and some decent pots.

I added a tremolo arm and roler bridge to the Gibson SG which makes it very usefull.

The blue Strat copy is one of Inlaid artists amazing guitars that I won new on e-Bay for £89, I fitted a complete set of American Fender pickups and pots to that.Image

8O I love the Gibsons. I put a tremolo arm on my SG too (a Bigsby).

heylelshalem
Raven
Raven

23 Jan 2008, 3:28 pm

/\ thats a damn sweet gibson sg.../\ i love 'em myself..great tone and they are'nt half as heavy as the les pauls.

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2008, 8:04 am

heylelshalem wrote:
all i can say is if your going to get a amp==get a tube one...my last half stack was an old seventies tube amp that pushed 700 watts and it was the most heavy sounding amp i have ever heard. and marshalls are waaaay overrated for the money...id check out a crate amp...they are actually economical and i think they sound a lot better then marshall.

Generally agreed with except for the bit about Crate amps. Look for an old tube amp from the 70's instead. --The build quality on new tube gear is not particularly robust until you start getting into expensive gear like Mesa/Boogie, and boutique amps like VHT, Soldano, Engl,Diezel, etc.

Some that I'd suggest:

Ampeg 'V' series amps ( V-2, V-4, VT-22, etc)
Traynor amps ( Nearly all of their 70's tube amps are PTP handwired)
Sound City
Plush/ Earth ( The old ones with the padded headboxes, essentially Fender Showman copies)

Stay away from 60's Sunn amps as a lot of them are built around a Dynakit HiFi power amp, which will be too clean for guitar, but good for bass.

Another thing thatyou may want to do if you're handy with a soldering iron is to look around for an old Bogen PA head like a CHB-50, CHB-35, CHB-100, or their even older CHA series, and convert the inputs to 1/4" tipring and perhaps a tonestack mod. --Bogens can often be found for well under $200. --I paid $70 for my CHB-35

Scintillate
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2008, 9:25 am

I'm doin metal and some other prog rock sorta stuff and I love my line 6 for it, a 4 speaker beast, as in spider 2 amp and quad-box, bought in two parts. In terms of the amount of distortion I've lowered it HEAPS since I got it and relied more on playing harder during heavier moments, its creating a sound that we (me, bro and cousin) feel is unique, I guess kinda like tool but much faster. Very chunky though, love the effects too, kinda pricey though (for me), 1200 discounted Australian. Worth it definately, later I'm thinkin mesa-boogie maybe.

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2008, 12:16 pm

Scintillate wrote:
I'm doin metal and some other prog rock sorta stuff and I love my line 6 for it, a 4 speaker beast, as in spider 2 amp and quad-box, bought in two parts. In terms of the amount of distortion I've lowered it HEAPS since I got it and relied more on playing harder during heavier moments, its creating a sound that we (me, bro and cousin) feel is unique, I guess kinda like tool but much faster. Very chunky though, love the effects too, kinda pricey though (for me), 1200 discounted Australian. Worth it definately, later I'm thinkin mesa-boogie maybe.

From what I've seen on other forums, Mesa/Boogie stuff is sold at incredibly inflated prices in OZ. I got these prices from an Autralian from another forum ( Prices in AU $):

Marshall DSL100 $1899
Peavey 6505 $2495
Engl Blackmore $2999
Framus Cobra $3739
Bogner Uberschall $4700
Mesa Triple Rectifier $5195

Also, I understand that many people in Australia have found a way around this by buying used gear from the US from eBay, having it shipped to Oz, and using it with a 240>120 volatge converter if need be. --Ironically enough, you'll be able to get gear cheaper this way, even with duties and tariffs applied.

Another thing that I've seen is that there's a shop (someplace) in Australia that makes copies of what appears to be Mesa/Boogie Mk2 amps at a much more down to earth pricetag. They're sold under the name of 'Woogie'. --I'm surprised that there aren't more amp builders in your country.

Jivi
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

24 Jan 2008, 2:44 pm

I play electric (got a good sounding cheap guitar and a small amp). I have only been playing for 2 months, and its awesome, I can (attempt to) play all my favorite rock songs.
When I get the money, I will buy some kind of a effects pedal (and a huge wall of amplifiers would be cool too)

Electric guitar is so cool, I think it is one of the coolest instruments around, dont you agree?

SirJoseph
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Jan 2008, 7:16 pm

i play guitar. i dont have real nice gear but im not in a band performing so its not so important to me. i have a squire stratocaster and a 15watt crate amp. no pedals or anything. my biggest influences in playing are iron maiden, judas priest, and iced earth. i really like legato based soloing and playing around with octaves.

SeaBright
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2008, 9:06 pm

not so well..
a couple years.
meditative and poetic.
from sound.

"I'm sorry Katya, my dear, but where we come from, your what's known as a pet; a not quite human novelty. It's why we brought you.... It's nothing to be ashamed of, my dear, but here you are and here you'll sit."

heylelshalem
Raven
Raven

26 Jan 2008, 3:31 am

Fogman wrote:
heylelshalem wrote:
all i can say is if your going to get a amp==get a tube one...my last half stack was an old seventies tube amp that pushed 700 watts and it was the most heavy sounding amp i have ever heard. and marshalls are waaaay overrated for the money...id check out a crate amp...they are actually economical and i think they sound a lot better then marshall.

Generally agreed with except for the bit about Crate amps. Look for an old tube amp from the 70's instead. --The build quality on new tube gear is not particularly robust until you start getting into expensive gear like Mesa/Boogie, and boutique amps like VHT, Soldano, Engl,Diezel, etc.

Some that I'd suggest:

Ampeg 'V' series amps ( V-2, V-4, VT-22, etc)
Traynor amps ( Nearly all of their 70's tube amps are PTP handwired)
Sound City
Plush/ Earth ( The old ones with the padded headboxes, essentially Fender Showman copies)

Stay away from 60's Sunn amps as a lot of them are built around a Dynakit HiFi power amp, which will be too clean for guitar, but good for bass.

Another thing thatyou may want to do if you're handy with a soldering iron is to look around for an old Bogen PA head like a CHB-50, CHB-35, CHB-100, or their even older CHA series, and convert the inputs to 1/4" tipring and perhaps a tonestack mod. --Bogens can often be found for well under $200. --I paid $70 for my CHB-35

i prefer seventies tube amps...but i have played a crate blue-voodoo and it was'nt really that bad....why anyone would buy a marshall is beyond me though.

Ledzeppelinrules
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Jan 2008, 7:15 am

I want to be but alas, I have no one to teach me...

Robert Plant quote

Jivi

29 Jan 2008, 8:51 am

Ledzeppelinrules wrote:
I want to be but alas, I have no one to teach me...

I am just learning electric guitar (2 months), I got a great book "guitar for dummies" (the last edition of 2006 has improved a lot), its great for beginning and its got a special section on rock, blues, jazz.

Enyone else has some suggestions for good books on learning guitar (rock, blues)?
I am looking for different sources for learning.

I agree with you: Led Zeppelin totally rocks!

heylelshalem
Raven
Raven

29 Jan 2008, 3:12 pm

ive seen some pretty good tutorials on youtube actually...not that i really watch them, am pretty happy with my playing for the most part and once i got to the part that was overly heavy in theory i opted out...but yeah i'd check google video out and see what you can find..if you find any on how to play doom metal hook me up...:P

beau99
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2008, 8:44 pm

I have an acoustic Gibson.

But I don't know how to play, I just do improv and sing whatever song's on my mind at the time.

Twitter: http://twitter.com/agenderstar