writing boy charecters and other charector development

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

alchemist_girl
Butterfly
Butterfly

19 Jan 2008, 8:15 pm

all my boy charectors are flat and i cand get into them help!! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! :help: :wall: :huh:

whats in a boys head anyway why can i right boy charecters created by somone else but not come up wth my own
:!: :?: :!:
help me please!! ! i beg you! :pale: :bounce: :pale: :lmao: :hail:

woodsman25
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

19 Jan 2008, 8:22 pm

I would like to help unfortunatly I dont understand anything you just wrote.

gwenevyn
l'esprit de l'escalier
l'esprit de l'escalier

19 Jan 2008, 8:39 pm

I can identify with what you're saying. I can't write very well about about girls because I don't know what it's like to be a normal girl. I used to be more comfortable writing about male characters but as I grew to know more about real men, I realized I was mistaken about men as well.

The only solution is to write about weirdos! :jester: We know what that's like!

I'm really not kidding. Write about people who are extremely odd and flawed. The best RP character I ever created was a borderline sociopathic orphaned elf who was fanatically obsessed with his boss' every move. Don't bother trying to understand "guys". Aim for weird and do it well.

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2008, 8:52 pm

"write what you know" - a cliche, but it works.

character development usually means you start with a character that has some flaw, or some unrealized potential, and they're put in a situation where they deal with the problem, or surpass it.

just watch boys, see how they act. You're allowed to borrow from real like, as long as you don't use real names..;)

SirJoseph
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Jan 2008, 11:18 pm

write what you know. also heres the key to making a 3-d character. physiology, sociology, and psychology. describe what they look like, including flaws, think of what they do for a living, hobbies, religious beliefs, etc, and then their ambitions, frustrations, attitude, complexes, intelligence level etc. hope that helps

Berserker
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2008, 11:44 pm

Use traits from characters in games, books or TV shows. That's how I come up with some of my characters.

GrantZilla
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Jan 2008, 4:25 am

I don't mean to be rude, but DO NOT use characters off of TV shows, movies, games, ect. Basically what your doing is instead of basing your characters off of realistic characters, your basing them off of fictional characters.

It's ok to maybe use a few traits, but not entire character. Because most characters in movies are cliche characters and stereotypes.

As hard as this may be, you have to go out and observe people. If you see something someone is doing that you find interesting, jot it down.

Since your having trouble with boy characters, I suggest you spend your time socializing and observing boys.

Being a writer is researching, and not just off the computer or books. It's real life research. It doesn't matter if your writing sci-fi, fantasy, whatever. The best stories deal with very human characters, not one-demensional, cliche, characters.

Ask most authors, and they base their characters off of people they know, met, ect. Take Ian Fleming who wrote James Bond. He based Bond's character off of his CO when he was in the military. His boss was a charming, womanizing, live life by the seat of his pants guy.

Take Sir Author Canon Doyle. He based Sherlock Holmes off his proffessor in medical school, who had a keen sense of observation.