Page 6 of 8 [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

TheNathan
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

07 Apr 2008, 3:41 pm

Ayn Rand seems like a definite miss to me, her tendencies and attitudes towards others bordered on the sociopathic. AS may have subdued empathy in how it is shown, but it is most certainly felt in many individuals and it is not anti-social in any way, shape, or form.

NotRealBrianWilson
Butterfly
Butterfly

27 Nov 2008, 4:57 pm

zee wrote:
Reodor_Felgen wrote:
95% of the people mentioned here are NTs.

I would say 100%, plus the person who compiled it obviously doesn't know what an Aspie is.

Dan Akroyd says he is AS as does Gary Numan. Who are we to doubt them?

And while we can safely say Tiny Tim (one of my heroes :D ) was severly OCD I'd say he was a good candidate for having AS as well.

So zee that's 98%ish who are NT. Just a minute? Einstein? Klaus Kinski? Ian Curtis? Mariah Carey? I'd be very surprised if them 4 weren't on the spectrum. Perhaps Frank Zappa too, I mean have you ever tried to desipher all the repeated symbolism, puns and cultural refferences in his work?

EDIT: typo

AlexandertheSolitary
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2008, 6:24 pm

Interesting list. Have all these notables actually been diagnosed? Did someone take a TARDIS back for Mendel and Mozart?

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

27 Nov 2008, 8:09 pm

Snoopy wrote:
I feel like this obsession that I've had for several years is controlling my life. I try to stop obssesing about it but I guess I don't have enough will power. It's caused me alot of grief. I've lost countless friends and I feel pretty much alone. If anyone could give me some advice on how to stop obsessing it would be very much apperciated.

ButchCoolidge wrote:
The obsession being to diagnose celebrities as aspies?

:lol:

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

27 Nov 2008, 8:12 pm

and theres only probably 2-3 aspies on that list. jesus all those people are popular have tons of freinds and go to partys everyweekend

pbcoll
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2008, 8:23 pm

NotRealBrianWilson wrote:
Einstein? Klaus Kinski? Ian Curtis? Mariah Carey? I'd be very surprised if them 4 weren't on the spectrum.

To take Einstein, for example, he was if I recall right a good violinist, suggesting good fine motor skills or at least average ones - which hardly suggests AS. It's actually possible to be a brilliant physicist and be NT.

Quote:
Perhaps Frank Zappa too, I mean have you ever tried to desipher all the repeated symbolism, puns and cultural refferences in his work?

And that's supposed to prove AS? So you're diagnosing AS on people you've never met based on them using lots of symbolism? You can diagnose anybody with anything you want based on such flimsy evidence.

El hombre es una bestia famélica, envidiosa e insaciable. (Francisco Tario)

I'm male by the way (yes, I know my avatar is misleading).

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

27 Nov 2008, 8:30 pm

mariah carey and da brat has aspergers? now ive heard it all, you dont know how hard im laughing at this thread right now :lol:

agmoie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

28 May 2010, 1:09 pm

There are Aspie Alpha males like me too.Enoch Powell and De Gaulle are examples.Anyway if he was an NT Alpha male he would not be drinking with a non Alpha aspie like you...

Zzzzeta wrote:
Russell Crowe is no Aspie. I used to drink with him at the Coffs Harbour Hotel, and he's the complete NT alpha male.

agmoie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

28 May 2010, 1:35 pm

Most Aspies in this world have NOT been diagnosed -my generation of Aspies were not and all previous generations were not.We are Aspies none the less.
"Diagnosis" is just a money making scheme anyway,it is perfectly possible for any Aspie to self "diagnose" the way that gay or lesbian people do.
They were in the DSM too til it became un pc to have them on it.Alan Turing was "diagnosed" as a gay for instance-were all the other "undiagnosed" gays just mistaken-pity you don`t have a tardis to go back and tell them...

AlexandertheSolitary wrote:
Interesting list. Have all these notables actually been diagnosed? Did someone take a TARDIS back for Mendel and Mozart?

katzefrau
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2010, 10:56 pm

zee wrote:
Reodor_Felgen wrote:
95% of the people mentioned here are NTs.

I would say 100%, plus the person who compiled it obviously doesn't know what an Aspie is.

that's ridiculous. several of them are diagnosed, and a few more come up all over the place as suspected aspies.

that said, this is a worn topic that always provokes argument.

they must be out there, but trying to diagnose people in the public eye is never going to work.

i wish they would start coming out of the closet.

agmoie wrote:
Most Aspies in this world have NOT been diagnosed -my generation of Aspies were not and all previous generations were not.We are Aspies none the less.

and this is a good point too ^

my 2 cents is coming from the perspective of a pre-diagnosis dino-aspie.

makuranososhi
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2010, 11:48 am

Zombie thread, resurrected after almost two years.

Are you for the Zombie Apocalypse?

M.

For those who seek an alternative, it is coming.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

Kaysea
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2010, 11:35 am

Reodor_Felgen wrote:
Snoopy wrote:
9. Daryl Hannah (Diagnosed as borderline autistic)
26. Jim Carrey (Diagnosed with ADHD)
33. Crispin Glover (Probably)
45. Tim Burton (Self-diagnosed aspie)
49. Michael Jackson (Probably an aspie)
51. Sylvester Stallone (Diagnosed with ADHD
63. Whoopi Goldberg (Diagnosed with ADHD)
70. Keanu Reeves (Said to be diagnosed with AS)
72. Axl Rose (Bipolar)
82. Kurt Cobain (Said to be diagnosed with ADHD)
88. Lewis Carroll (Probably)
109. Syd Barrett (Probably)
128. Prince (Said to be diagnosed with AS)
129. Robert Smith (Probably)
143. Gary Numan (Diagnosed with AS)
144. Craig Nicholls (Diagnosed with AS)
151. Glenn Gould (Probably)
157. Dan Aykroyd (Self-diagnosed aspie)
158. Robin Williams (Bipolar)
159. Henry Rollins (ADHD)
164. Thomas Jefferson (Probably)
165. Albert Einstein (Probably)
166. Marie Curie (Probably)
167. Charles Darwin (Probably)
168. Gregor Mendel (Probably)
171. Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart (Probably)
178. Steven Spielberg (Said to be diagnosed with AS)
190. John Lennon (Probably)
191. Bob Dylan (Probably)
194. David Bowie (Probably)
195. Ozzy Osbourne (Diagnosed with ADHD)
197. Courtney Love (Diagnosed as borderline autistic)
199. Edgar Allan Poe (Probably)

I more or less agree with this list. I would also like to add the following:

Neil Young: I have heard that he is self-diagnosed, but have been unable to verify this. From what I have read of "Shakey", he does sound very spectrum-ish and his manorisms and overall demenor in interviews resembles my own. I do know that he has an epilepsy diagnosis

Janis Joplin: After reading Myra Friedman's biography of her, I would give her 3/5

Delirium
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2010, 9:14 am

First of all, ADD/ADHD and bipolar are not Asperger's.

Second of all, I think you've diagnosed pretty much every major celebrity with Asperger's, and most of those diagnoses don't even make sense. Just because someone is weird or an introvert doesn't mean they have Asperger's. And half of those people are whacked out on drugs anyway.

ShenLong
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2010, 2:45 pm

Did anyone put down H. P. Lovecraft(The creator of the Cthulhu Mythos)?
And although I hate to admit it, but I think Josef Mengele(the crazy Nazi doctor from Auschwitz-Birkenau) might have been an Aspie too.
As well as Truman Capote and maybe Robert E. Howard(who was a close friend of Lovecraft's and the creator of Conan)

Delirium
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2010, 3:05 pm

ShenLong wrote:
And although I hate to admit it, but I think Josef Mengele(the crazy Nazi doctor from Auschwitz-Birkenau) might have been an Aspie too.
As well as Truman Capote and maybe Robert E. Howard(who was a close friend of Lovecraft's and the creator of Conan)

HP Lovecraft - He was just eccentric. Eccentric =! Asperger's
Truman Capote - hell no, the complete opposite.
Josef Mengele - had something else going on besides Asperger's

ShenLong
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2010, 3:13 pm

Delirium wrote:
ShenLong wrote:

HP Lovecraft - He was just eccentric. Eccentric =! Asperger's
Truman Capote - hell no, the complete opposite.
Josef Mengele - had something else going on besides Asperger's

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H._P._Lovecraft
Read about his childhood especially.

Again, for Truman, either read about his childhood or read the book To Kill A Mockingbird. Dill, on of the main characters is based almost completely on Capote when he was a kid(Harper Lee was his neighbour and best friend) or read wikipedia.

Mengele, that's one I'm not too sure, but my friend Helixstein tells me hat he has studied the guys biography on wikipedia and stuff and says that he really thinks the man had it. I'll have to look that one up.