Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Serissa
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2005, 11:19 am

Anybody know of a good tutorial for making GIF animations in GIMP? I think supposedly you can, using layers, but I can't figure out how to on my own. I do have the extention or whatever it is that's supposed to make it possible, or if it's part of the original package, then I have some other extention that I can't remember the use for. O_o

Sean
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2005, 5:40 pm

GIMP is cool! I used it to cut and shrink my avatar from a larger picture. I didn't know you can make animated GIFs with it. Hmm...maybe I could make a special smiley for the next time I get accused of being racist? :twisted:

Serissa
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2005, 9:23 pm

Sean wrote:
GIMP is cool! I used it to cut and shrink my avatar from a larger picture. I didn't know you can make animated GIFs with it. Hmm...maybe I could make a special smiley for the next time I get accused of being racist? :twisted:

Well it says you can do something with GIFs and multiple layers which I THINK is animation... but I can't make it work without help.

noodles
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

21 Sep 2005, 6:26 pm

Hello Serissa.

http://www.gimp.org/tutorials/
http://gimp-savvy.com/

I hope it helps.

Serissa
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2005, 7:43 pm

noodles wrote:

Merci beaucoup!! !

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2005, 12:29 pm

As far as I know GIMP stopped GIF image support when the holder of the GIF
compression format scheme started enforcing it's copywrite. --Hence the adoption of the PNG file compression format that GIMP uses in place of GIF compression.

That being said, I'm NOT a fan of Gimp, due to the fact that I hate the UI. The last version that I was using with Linux also didn't support TTF fonts either, though the version that I used with Windows did. --however, it is free.

Serissa
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2005, 4:36 pm

Fogman wrote:
--however, it is free.

And hopefully better than Movies13, which can't do transparencies, but I have a ton of other projects to do first so I don't think I'll find out first hand for awhile.

burx
Butterfly
Butterfly

22 Sep 2005, 4:45 pm

Hmm... I tried making a minimalist gif movie, using Gimp 2.0 in its recent debian edition. It was easy to create -- I just saved my layered image as gif and selected "save as animation" instead of "merge visible layers". But I think, you've got it already...

Greetz,
Burx.

Serissa
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2005, 5:30 pm

burx wrote:
Hmm... I tried making a minimalist gif movie, using Gimp 2.0 in its recent debian edition. It was easy to create -- I just saved my layered image as gif and selected "save as animation" instead of "merge visible layers". But I think, you've got it already...

Greetz,
Burx.

AGH. The tutorial I was given didn't help with my problem; I can't seem to make things transparent, which is the whole point of my having GIMP as Movies13 screws that up. I can save somethign as you said to do and have it be animated, but if it was transparent in Movies13, it's just a black background in GIMP.

Help?

burx
Butterfly
Butterfly

26 Sep 2005, 12:50 am

Hmm -- seems the problem of defining one color as transparent that didn't appear transparent in the Gimp. I'll be researching for a solution.

burx
Butterfly
Butterfly

02 Oct 2005, 4:56 pm

Seems, I googled the solution for your problems.

when you know how to apply transparency in gimp in general, it is easy also to apply in GIF animations.

see: http://gimp-savvy.com/BOOK/index.html?node80.html

In the layers & channels dialog, you can rename the layers in a special way so that your animations will do it YOUR way:

append (<n> ms) to each layer name, being <n> the number of milliseconds the layer is to be displayed. (can be discarded, so the layer will be displayed a default time.)

append (replace) to each layer name that is going to replace the previous view in your animation. you may have spaces between ) and (, but you needn't to have. but don't use extra space within the (), either, it won't work.

So, having transparent layers, the lower ones won't disturb your image. Now, you just can save your image as gif. If you like, I send you an example in xcf.gz and gif format...

Cheers,
Burx

ajs_line_of_silver
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Oct 2005, 11:43 am

Am I the only one that looked at the name of the thread and wonder why it was not on the mature forum :lol:
I feel like I have failed my geek heritage