Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

GrandTheftDodo
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 May 2008, 3:15 pm

Trent Reznor's done it again

Just released a new album today online (which you can download for free in pretty much any file format you want)
Personally, I think it's an absoloutely incredible album (after my first listen, can't wait til the 10th listen when it's all been digested more.)

Any other NIN fans here? :]

Mikomi
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2008, 3:33 pm

I love NIN! Been a fan for years.

Shayne
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 May 2008, 3:39 pm

i could go for som trent.

The Slip is licensed under a Creative Commons attribution-noncommercial share alike license, in effect allowing anyone to use or rework the material for any non-commercial purpose, as long as credit is provided and the resulting work is released under an identical license. The website further expands

"we encourage you to remix it, share it with your friends, post it on your blog, play it on your podcast, give it to strangers, etc.[1]"

can't you feel the benevolence?

Hector
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2008, 4:15 pm

I listened to nothing but NIN when I was 15-16. Now I'm not as much a fan of the newer stuff he's been putting out than Pretty Hate Machine/The Downward Spiral/The Fragile (three of my favourite albums to this day), but I'll still give it a go. May as well give it a listen now...

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2008, 7:06 pm

I don't understand the point of releasing them free. Do they really expect to get any money from this, even if it brings the band to a larger audience? If bands like Radiohead and NIN want to start doing things like this then they should consider rereleasing older material 'best of' compilations, which will hopefully get new people into their sounds and encourage people to buy the older albums, rather than releasing new material for free.

Hector
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2008, 7:09 pm

I'm not sure how much of this Trent is even doing for the money anymore. I'm guessing he's quite comfortable.

Veresae
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2008, 8:45 pm

Holy cow! But they just came out with Ghosts! AWESOME!

-Goes off to download-

I do love NIN. XD And I love that they're releasing this free. And I love that this is the fourth NIN album in two years...s**t...2007 had Year Zero and its remix album...now we have Ghosts and The Slip! I guess Reznor's making up for how he always used to have 5-6 years inbetween his albums before? XD

The thing is, it so makes sense that after "Year Zero" they'd start releasing their work in a way that didn't support corporate record labels. I love it. Most artists would bash corporations and end up still being slaves to them.

But Reznor's been working up to this, I think. Remember when the first songs from "Year Zero" leaked out, with their mp3's found on flash drives that had been left backstage after shows? And the speculation that it was Reznor who leaked them?

Or how about this from Wikipedia's page on the hard-to-find "Broken" film: On December 30, 2006, an unofficial version of the film was released on a DVD disc image and distributed via BitTorrent at The Pirate Bay by the same anonymous user called "seed0" who uploaded the leaked DVD version of Closure. The DVD image represents a significant upgrade in visual and audio quality from "Broken 2.0.", and includes the oft-missing video for "Help Me I Am in Hell." Fans have speculated that this version of the film has been sourced directly from the master tapes, and that Reznor himself may have been the source of this leak along with the Closure DVD leak, as implied by a post on his official blog: "12/21/06 : Happy Holidays! This one is a guilt-free download. (shhhh - I didn't say that out loud). If you know what I'm talking about, cool."

I love this. So many artists would just stay greedy, always trying to get as much money as possible for as little work--even without the records breathing down their neck.

silentwisdom
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 May 2008, 9:24 pm

I am a huge fan of NIN (have been since I was a teen), and I've had the new album on repeat all day. It's IMO one of his best, and is right up there with Pretty Hate Machine, The Downward Spiral, The Fragile, and Year Zero (my favorite albums.)

It's amazing that both Radiohead and NIN can release solid albums for free. While other artists who are on a record label can't seem to even do that.

Macbeth
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2008, 9:45 pm

Working from within the machine. Have a care next time you say someone has "sold out" ... maybe their just up to something...

computerlove
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2008, 10:40 pm

GrandTheftDodo wrote:
Trent Reznor's done it again

Just released a new album today online (which you can download for free in pretty much any file format you want)
Personally, I think it's an absoloutely incredible album (after my first listen, can't wait til the 10th listen when it's all been digested more.)

Any other NIN fans here? :]

thanks dude! welcome to teh forum! (:

MattD
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 May 2008, 11:20 pm

Im downloading it now, damn its big 280mb

sgrannel
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2008, 12:08 am

I like NIN!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqgggIMK7Ic
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HC5W6Rz1QLo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0u0AG_floQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWncI51ggH8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvOkvn9JmPg&NR=1

Well, here's a start.

I have recorded some of their songs, using an audio program that captures the sound and saves it into a WMV file after playing on YouTube.

It has a certain edginess that I appreciate.

After seeing some of the things that Trent Reznor expresses, do you think he's autistic? Do autistic people relate to his music more than NTs, as I do? I can relate to this one well for where I am in life.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1Zulx4mjHk

Play it loud enough to make things shake!

But a dog knows his boy can go wrong

DocStrange
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2008, 10:23 am

Knew it. I mean what else could it've been?
I had already gotten "Discipline" (from nin.com) and "Echoplex" (which was made downloadable on Friday from iLike), and the whole album is very, very good.

And I WILL purchase it on vinyl when it comes out in July.

GrandTheftDodo
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 May 2008, 3:49 pm

To the guy who asked whether Trent's expecting to make any money off it, I sincerely doubt it.
The website even says "This one's on me." He's been at this for 20 years, the man's rolling in it.

He just released Ghosts aswell, and it's not like there was a Record Label there to take like 80% of the money made off each sale. The money went to Trent.

And to the guy who said "I listened to them loads around 15-16," so did I, for those 2 years I was absoloutely obsessed with his work, then when the Year Zero ARG started, I followed that, then bought the album, listened to it none-stop for a few months and ever since then I started to think Trent was losing it a bit.
The Slip just proves he can write politically charged, moving, emotional music without it coming off as juvenile or convulted like a lot of Year Zero did, and I've gained respect for him again.
Yeah it's obviously an improvement over With Teeth, but Year Zero has zero sense of melody, it's glitches and noise for the sake of noise.

The Slip is musically brilliant. Noisy, but not for the sake of noisyness, and it's all used in a much more musical way.
I love random noisy **** as much as the next guy, but it makes for terrible replayability.
Obviously The Slip's only been around a couple of days, but I can see this sticking with me for a lot longer than YZ did.

I don't reckon he'll ever top The Downward Spiral or The Fragile, though ;]

computerlove
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2008, 5:59 pm

GrandTheftDodo wrote:
I don't reckon he'll ever top The Downward Spiral

seconded

Veresae
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2008, 11:39 pm

I haven't listened to it all the way yet--don't like what I've heard. But I felt the same way about Year Zero at first. XD I'll give the album 5 or so full listens before I can truly say whether or not I indeed don't like it. Most artists, I don't do that for, but NIN is special.