Qestion for those with a Line 6 Pod:

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Lonermutant
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2008, 10:15 am

I have a new laptop and a Line 6 Bass Podxt that I can't get any sound out of. I've done all the right programming and connections, etc. that I need to do, but I can't get any sound out of it. Do you think I need a special kind of sound card or something? I have the Pod set up right for studio use. I've asked about this on the Line 6 forum, but I haven't gotten any answers.

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2008, 10:31 am

You should be able to get sound out of it from both the headphone jack, as well as the line outs. It's been years since I've owned a POD, though if I remember correctly, the Pod's Line out is at +4DB which is pretty much standard for professional gear. The input on your soundcard OTOH, is most likely wired to accept consumer/home user standard line level which is -10Db.

Conversely, the +4Db signal is going to be too hot. I doubt that this would burn up the input on your soundcard, though you will definately get a heavily clipped, distorted signal by overdriving the input of the soundcard with the +4Db signal. I'm not familiar with the POD xT, as I had a POD 2.0, which was the xT's predecessor. The POD 2.0 did not switchable output attenuation, and was strictly a +4Db line out unit. --The xT may possibly have line out attenuation built in to switch between -10Db and +4Db signal.

I'd also double check your POD to see if there's signal coming out of the headphone jack as well. Furthermore, the +4Db signal is sufficiently hot enough to drive a set of headphones with audible signal. If you have no signal, I'd then proceed to check the cable path between the POD and your Bass.

Another thing you may want to do while checking things out, is to make sure that the noisegate on the POD is turned OFF. The problem may be as simple as the Noisegate's trigger threshold is set at such a high level that all input signal is simply gated out, and therefore you get no sound out of the unit.

You may also want to check the cabling between your POD and the line input to your computer. --If you have no signal between any of these, or your headphones, I'd take your POD back to the vendor, or perhaps Line6 and see if you could get a replacement for a defective unit.

Lonermutant
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2008, 12:47 pm

Ive downloaded a kind of java fixer thing so Line 6 edit works now, but I still can't get any sound out of it.
I'm waiting until I know if there's any more software I can download that can fix the problem.

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2008, 4:38 pm

Lonermutant wrote:
Ive downloaded a kind of java fixer thing so Line 6 edit works now, but I still can't get any sound out of it.
I'm waiting until I know if there's any more software I can download that can fix the problem.

Can you get sound out of it via headphones, or is that non functional as well? If you bought the thing used, chances are that Line6 will not honor any warranty repairs. If you bought it new, you will probably be able to get it exchanged/repaired under warranty. If it's new, i would strongly suggest that you do this as soon as possible.

I have no idea of how these things work, other than the fact that the sounds that it produces is through digital processing on an unknown processor, of unknown speed, of an unknown internal bus type or bus resolution. The only thing that I know about it is that the code that it executes most likely is stored on some type of PROM/EPROM. --This could have corrupted data.

After ADDA conversion, it there will be some OP Amps of unknown manufacture, and therefore unknown values. The issue you're having could possibly anything from a faulty input output jack/ or cold solder joint anywhere in the analog signal chain to perhaps bad
OP Amps.

Lonermutant
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2008, 1:31 am

I have Line 6 edit up and running now, but I get a "midi timeout". I'm waiting for an answer from the support crew at the Line 6 forum.