Where do smart men hang out?

Page 6 of 10 [ 150 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Halfmadgenius
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2013, 8:47 pm

JanuaryMan wrote:

As for where to find smart men where you live...depending how much you need the physical comforts maybe it's time to start looking where you don't live :P
I don't know if dating sites or WrongPlanet are a good starting point, but how about considering discussion forums and chatrooms for special interests of yours? There's bound to be guys fairly knowledgeable in those subjects there you'll get along with.

And physical comfort is part of the problem. I want an intimate relationship. I want marriage one day and even babies, I love kids. I have had pen pals before but that's not enough. I want a real relationship. Hugs, kisses, snowball fights and boardgames that I'll always Lose. I've never wanted anything special. Never wanted money or fame. Just to be happy.

JanuaryMan
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2013, 8:52 pm

Well, the very best of luck. Maybe see if you can set up a weekly Scrabble day at your local library with the library's permission!
And have a poster or two up. Even if you don't get to meet many guys that way, you will get to network and possibly meet guys through contacts. At the very least, you'll make like minded friends.

(this suggestion was really just an excuse to encourage more people to play Scrabble)

Thelibrarian
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2013, 8:57 pm

Halfmadgenius wrote:
JanuaryMan wrote:

As for where to find smart men where you live...depending how much you need the physical comforts maybe it's time to start looking where you don't live :P
I don't know if dating sites or WrongPlanet are a good starting point, but how about considering discussion forums and chatrooms for special interests of yours? There's bound to be guys fairly knowledgeable in those subjects there you'll get along with.

And physical comfort is part of the problem. I want an intimate relationship. I want marriage one day and even babies, I love kids. I have had pen pals before but that's not enough. I want a real relationship. Hugs, kisses, snowball fights and boardgames that I'll always Lose. I've never wanted anything special. Never wanted money or fame. Just to be happy.

I understand about the physical comfort; I have been in a relationship for over twelve years. Nor does she have any intellectual aspirations at all, though she is educated. What I'm saying is that the need for physical comfort and the need to have somebody you can relate to intellectually can be shared with two different people. I agree that the ideal would be to have a significant other with whom one could share our intellectual interests. But I look to discuss intellectual things with people on the Internet, and have my girlfriend for more personal needs and interests.

My offer still stands. It's up to you.

Halfmadgenius
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2013, 9:00 pm

JanuaryMan wrote:
Well, the very best of luck. Maybe see if you can set up a weekly Scrabble day at your local library with the library's permission!
And have a poster or two up. Even if you don't get to meet many guys that way, you will get to network and possibly meet guys through contacts. At the very least, you'll make like minded friends.

(this suggestion was really just an excuse to encourage more people to play Scrabble)

That might be an idea. I play trivia every week but I've Been friend zoned there. By a team mate and a member of a rival team.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2013, 10:36 pm

In my room

blue_bean
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2013, 3:46 am

That's the problem with me, I'm smart but I'm not "intellectual" in the sense that I don't have a room full of books, nor am I able to have discussions on a broad range of topics.

A high level of education doesn't make you smart. It only makes you knowledgeable.

Thelibrarian
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2013, 9:40 am

blue_bean wrote:
That's the problem with me, I'm smart but I'm not "intellectual" in the sense that I don't have a room full of books, nor am I able to have discussions on a broad range of topics.

A high level of education doesn't make you smart. It only makes you knowledgeable.

As far as your first statement goes, to each her own. The world has room for both "know-it-alls" and "know-nothings". My problem is when the know-nothings bully the know-it-alls. When I was a child, I was picked on mercilessly by the know-nothing crowd because I am different. Now that I can fully defend myself, it is not something I tolerate. We have as much right to exist and do our thing as the know-nothings do. So, if the know-nothings can't be respectful and tolerant of our differences, they shouldn't post on this thread.

Education does not makes us smart. As one of my favorite thinkers, H.L. Mencken noted, education doesn't make us smart any more than church makes us good.

Halfmadgenius
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2013, 11:21 am

Librarian, I know how that goes. I was picked on to, physical assaulted on a regular basis in sixth grade. My mom had me in the principals office every other day showing him the bruises but nothing was done until the main bully sent me to the hospital with a broken nose and two black eyes. He was suspended for the last 3 days.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2013, 11:31 am

I am lucky enough to have a smart and witty male friend to visit,a meteorologist.But there is no physical attraction on my part.
I have enjoyed lots of good home brew and debates with him.We have different views on some things,but we never get mad about that.We just laugh and open another beer.

Thelibrarian
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2013, 11:36 am

Halfmadgenius wrote:
Librarian, I know how that goes. I was picked on to, physical assaulted on a regular basis in sixth grade. My mom had me in the principals office every other day showing him the bruises but nothing was done until the main bully sent me to the hospital with a broken nose and two black eyes. He was suspended for the last 3 days.

Genius, my situation was that I was born very gifted, and very aspie, but in a time when nobody had ever heard of AS. Consequently, my parents kept me doped up on Ritalin until I was in the seventh grade, and I was not only the teacher's pet, but was the smallest kid in class-smaller than even the girls. And I got picked on mercilessly, and learned to hate bullies and bullying. After I was taken off of Ritalin, I quickly sprang up to six feet and two hundred pounds. Though I am very uncoordinated, I started lifting weights, and didn't have any real problems after that.

Because of my hatred for bullying, I became enamored with an old Southern custom called chivalry, part of which is to defend those who cannot defend themselves. It's a shame this most honorable of customs is now almost dead in the South.

Today, being 51, I am no longer so physically imposing. So, I live way out in the boonies to avoid people, and carry a hog leg .357 magnum pistol, though I have never had to use it, or even brandish it. But I feel a lot more secure having it with me.

You never did tell me what your specific interests are.

Kernel
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Nov 2013, 12:06 pm

Smart men hang out at Mensa meetings.

leafplant
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2013, 12:07 pm

Thelibrarian wrote:
leafplant wrote:
Thelibrarian wrote:
How do you know I'm going to talk down to anybody? I think the reason you liberals are so abhorred with stereotypes is that you are so poor at doing them. And this is proof.

yeah, what was it that an ad hominem looks like again?

An ad hominem attack is one that attacks the person rather than their ideas. Any more questions?

yes, I do have some more questions:

1. why are you referring to me as 'you liberals abhorred with stereotypes'
2. how is what you state above relevant to the comment I made to Smudge about the fact you are more likely to talk to her now that you know she is female

Thank you for your time.

Thelibrarian
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2013, 12:13 pm

leafplant wrote:
Thelibrarian wrote:
leafplant wrote:
Thelibrarian wrote:
How do you know I'm going to talk down to anybody? I think the reason you liberals are so abhorred with stereotypes is that you are so poor at doing them. And this is proof.

yeah, what was it that an ad hominem looks like again?

An ad hominem attack is one that attacks the person rather than their ideas. Any more questions?

yes, I do have some more questions:

1. why are you referring to me as 'you liberals abhorred with stereotypes'
2. how is what you state above relevant to the comment I made to Smudge about the fact you are more likely to talk to her now that you know she is female

Thank you for your time.

I say that liberals are abhorred with stereotypes because they are. When was the last time you heard of stereotypes being referred to positively by liberals? As far as liberals not being good at drawing stereotypes, when was the last time liberals drew an accurate stereotype? An example of an accurate stereotype is that women bear children. (This is a stereotype because it is true enough to constitute a pattern (most women will bear children in their lifetimes), but obviously it is not always true, as some women cannot or will not bear children.)

How do you know I'm more likely to want to talk to genius because she is female? That's something I'm not aware of. I would add that Genius has said that she is not interested in a long-distance relationship. It is also the case that I have my own relationship and am not interested in anything romantic. I could add that of the intellectual types I know, they are all men. It would be nice to have a woman's perspective on things.

Are you willing to consider the possibility that my interest in Genius may be because we potentially hold common interests--interests that few people share?

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2013, 12:30 pm

Seems like you are stereotyping liberals.

Thelibrarian
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2013, 12:33 pm

Misslizard wrote:

I am. But so what? Stereotypes are an invaluable epistemological tool provided they are employed correctly.

JanuaryMan
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2013, 12:36 pm

Thelibrarian wrote:
Misslizard wrote:

I am. But so what? Stereotypes are an invaluable epistemological tool provided they are employed correctly.

And that brings us to the question of "who is entitled to or who has the right to employ stereotypes?"

Is it ok if someone were to stereotype you? Would their stereotype be false and yours correct?