THIS MIGHT BE CONSTRUED AS SEXIST

Page 2 of 3 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2014, 10:50 pm

vickygleitz wrote:
Probably not a lot of note passing in the wilderness. Also,they probably both smell like last weeks leftovers at his point, so now would NOT be the time.

Are you coming to AutHaven next year?

o.O
??

vickygleitz
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2014, 12:25 am

spongy wrote:
vickygleitz wrote:
so, how do you disagree?

Go back to the first page and reread my original post. Am I asking for too much?

Seriously though maybe we should stick to creating spinoff threads on POR but they would get mad at us for taking over their section

I still have no idea what you are talking about. Will you please explain or do I simply receive a "free shrug?"

spongy
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2014, 1:04 am

vickygleitz wrote:
spongy wrote:
vickygleitz wrote:
so, how do you disagree?

Go back to the first page and reread my original post. Am I asking for too much?

Seriously though maybe we should stick to creating spinoff threads on POR but they would get mad at us for taking over their section

I still have no idea what you are talking about. Will you please explain or do I simply receive a "free shrug?"

I thought you were trying to make a joke thread with the misleading title so I went along with it.

The go back to the original post and whatnot is a common argument around here this days sadly.

I think you had the right idea with aiming to improve the life of autistic people but this section was taken over by sexism/who has it harder/pua debates long ago.
There are plenty of other sections where you are free to discuss this though.

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2014, 2:25 am

Sexism usually means: all women do this and all men do that or I hate all women or I hate all men kinda deal!

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

b9
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2014, 3:48 am

i would construct a puzzle box to put over my head so that it would have to require an undeniable intention by a girl to open it in order to receive a kiss from me, but alas, women are not good at puzzles and would probably resort to using a sledgehammer (a light one) to open it in order to enjoy the spoils of my mouth. then i would have them charged with assault.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2014, 3:53 am

b9 wrote:
i would construct a puzzle box to put over my head so that it would have to require an undeniable intention by a girl to open it in order to receive a kiss from me, but alas, women are not good at puzzles and would probably resort to using a sledgehammer (a light one) to open it in order to enjoy the spoils of my mouth. then i would have them charged with assault.

blueroses
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2014, 5:29 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Sometimes, however, supposed sexist comments are the product of frustration. Frustrations leads people to generalization. What's needed is not accusations of sexism/sexual assault, etc., but a more objective, non gender-based education as to why generalizations are harmful. When someone is accused of sexual assault because they proffer a kiss while misinterpreting nonverbal "signals," that someone usually is not inspired to be educated. Obviously, there was no intent on the part of that person to commit a sexual assault.

The actual "vitriol" usually only occurs within the L&D and PPR subforums. It's men reacting to womans' vitriol, which is in reaction to "sexist" comments. It may spill over to other subforums, particularly the Members Only one. However, for the most part, people are supportive of others within this site.

It sounds like you are referring to a specific thread I'm not familiar with. Like I said in the post you were responding to, I haven't been around here as much lately. As far as the other point you are making about guys being frustrated, though, whenever I see people explaining away the sexism on this site (or making light of it, like this thread in general), I always wonder if they were ever bullied growing up.

There are a lot of reasons children become bullies, some of which they have no control over, like their environment at home and the behavioral examples they are given and emulate. But, does that mean bullies should be allowed to pick on schoolmates without being moderated or punished? Does that mean anti-bullying programs that aim to educate and encourage healthier behaviors should just leave those poor bullies alone? Would most members of this site be cool with it if the OP wanted to start a flip thread making fun of bullying prevention?

There are reasons behind everyone's behavior and I know the reasons why some members here hold the views on other people that they do. But, at the end of the day, using those reasons as excuses to allow people to continue in unhealthy patterns that can be hurtful to themselves or others isn't a good enough answer, in my opinion. So, to me, it's frustrating that it seems like it's offered as an answer a lot on this site when it comes to this topic.

To be clear, although I'm sure it sounds like it, I'm not taking issue with your specific post or this thread, but I am with the broader pattern it's a part of. I've been posting here for over seven years, there has been a big increase in the hate-fueled misogynistic views being expressed here, it's discouraging long-time members from visiting the site and it's disheartening. And, I do think the issue worth discussing as something that would improve our community.

FunkMasterMike
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Jun 2014, 7:11 pm

Advice given is only useful if one accepts it.
:)

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2014, 7:25 pm

Vicky, you sexist pig! ( read that line like "Jane you ignorant slut" from SNL in the 70's please for the correct humor) I no longer feel safe here since you choose to just mock sexism! I'm offended. I'm also hurt by this, because I thought that since we were women our vaginas and uterus's caused us to think completely alike, but I was wrong.

I am now going to go and eat an ice cream sundae in the privacy of my bedroom while watching Steel Magnolias (MEN DO THAT TOO!) and contemplate this. I may even pour brandy over the ice cream first and flambe it after of course placing the two scoops of ice cream strategically in the dish so they can represent Gloria Steinam's bra when I light it. That'll show you!

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2014, 8:14 pm

Ever had a mint julep, Olive?

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2014, 9:07 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Ever had a mint julep, Olive?

Not a real one. I'm not from Kentucky. I'm from Alabama. We drink bourbon or beer here pretty much. My mother had some juleps before though. She went to the Kentucky Derby once in the late 50's or early 60's and her and her friends drank quite a few of them. Then they sat in the hot sun in big hats and dresses, and the heat made them sick as hell. I think it's gin in there, isn't it? I'm not a gin fan. I'd rather drink perfume than gin. It's oily.

My absolute two favorite things to drink that are booze are Wild Turkey 101 and Jose Cuervo. I like both of them straight and without ice, with just a water chaser. I don't drink them often because they are both pretty much stronger than what I usually drink, and I have a hollow leg and can drink a sailor under the table and I'll drink the whole damn bottle of either of those before passing out and those make me crazy and liable to do things that will get me in trouble.

I usually stick with just Crown Royal Maple now. It's safer that way. For everybody

ETA; I remembered. It's bourbon in a julep, but I don't like mixed drinks much anyway. I prefer to feel the alcohol I consume.

Nights_Like_These
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2014, 9:47 pm

OliveOilMom wrote:
Vicky, you sexist pig! ( read that line like "Jane you ignorant slut" from SNL in the 70's please for the correct humor) I no longer feel safe here since you choose to just mock sexism! I'm offended. I'm also hurt by this, because I thought that since we were women our vaginas and uterus's caused us to think completely alike, but I was wrong.

I am now going to go and eat an ice cream sundae in the privacy of my bedroom while watching Steel Magnolias (MEN DO THAT TOO!) and contemplate this. I may even pour brandy over the ice cream first and flambe it after of course placing the two scoops of ice cream strategically in the dish so they can represent Gloria Steinam's bra when I light it. That'll show you!

And now you are making fun of people for not feeling like WP is a safe environment for them? See, this is why you are a jerk... In another thread you went on and on about how you used to be "weak" and now you're not, but it seems like all you've done is turn yourself into a bully, which isn't the same as being a STRONG person. You're still weak, just also a jerk on top of it. Not to mention the fact that you are being mean to people who've done ABSOLUTELY nothing to you other than wanting to try and improve the environment of WP to make it better for all (and yes, less hate is better for all), and you seem to think this is okay just because they think differently than you, and it is so damn unnecessary and it's really not an okay way to be. If this was how you decided to fix your "weaknesses", I think maybe you should consider trying again.

And you have the nerve to tell me to grow up...seriously?

--Aldous Huxley

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2014, 10:37 pm

Nights_Like_These wrote:
OliveOilMom wrote:

And now you are making fun of people for not feeling like WP is a safe environment for them? See, this is why you are a jerk... In another thread you went on and on about how you used to be "weak" and now you're not, but it seems like all you've done is turn yourself into a bully, which isn't the same as being a STRONG person. You're still weak, just also a jerk on top of it. Not to mention the fact that you are being mean to people who've done ABSOLUTELY nothing to you other than wanting to try and improve the environment of WP to make it better for all (and yes, less hate is better for all), and you seem to think this is okay just because they think differently than you, and it is so damn unnecessary and it's really not an okay way to be. If this was how you decided to fix your "weaknesses", I think maybe you should consider trying again.

And you have the nerve to tell me to grow up...seriously?

No. Really. My thing is the fact that somebody has taken a personal preference and opinion and attempted to turn it into a crusade of sorts here. I'm not the only one laughing over this, believe me. I'm probably the only one to make it very clear publically though. I'm not doing this publicly to be a bully at all, but simply because this whole thing and her whole bunch of complaints about perceived sexism has just turned into something that could be parody. Really. I tried to speak up reasonably at first and I was shrilled backed to my corner by her and I don't remember what else was said and don't care enough to go back and reread it but it was silly. Lots of people here, LOTS OF THEM, thought so too. I just can't resist picking at things so I did. I like to have my point at least acknowledged and rejected as what it is rather than what the other person wants to spin it into, and that never happened. Then she just lost all sanity about the subject and became satire. I couldn't not do it.

She's screaming about how "I DON"T FEEL SAFE HERE!" and won't give one damn example of who said what to make her feel unsafe, and also how she feels unsafe on a damn computer anyway. A lot of the things she says are way over the top and unreal, like comparing a guy kissing a girl when he thought she liked him to rape. Please. Come on. Come the f**k on, will ya? Can you not see thats over the top? It's not even in the same satellite range as reality. That kinda thing is what got me and other folks going about this. At first it was just amusement and then it became annoying and since she says women should speak up when something doesn't sit right with them, I did. To her. This is not a cause. This is not an issue. This is not a rights violation or a hate crime or bullying that she's bitching over. She dislikes the ideas of some douchebags. However, wouldn't the definition of douchebag be person you don't like the ideas of to begin with? So ok. She's tried to play it up and talk it up and turn it into something it's not. It's not sexism. It's not discrimination. The fact that a few gullible people fell for what she said (and I do think she honestly believes what she says too) doesn't make it a movement or an underground or a revolution or anything at all other than the fact that she got offended by some as*holes and decided to try and turn it into something it wasn't.

She wants to talk about how she doesn't feel safe here cause some loser can't get laid and complains about women, I'll give you not safe. I damn sure will. Shortly after I got here I said something that folks didn't like (surprise!) and somebody sent me a PM saying he wanted to kill me. Not that he would mind you, but that he wanted to. I told him where I lived and let it go. That is unsafe, not liking some dudes ranting about being alone is not being unsafe.

I'm not bullying her either. Everytime I've ever brought any of this up, I've usually tried to explain myself and my point, and tried to discuss it with them but neither will. I have no ill will towards either and no problem with them being offended by things I'm not offended by, but they won't really do much of anything except twist and shrill and spin what I say and such and never, ever, actually try to get my point even though I have tried to get theirs. So yeah. I said it and I went there. She wants to b***h about how it hurts her that lonely guys here b***h about us all in general then I get to b***h about how I don't like what she's saying on here.

Jerk or not, I'm actually right.

Nights_Like_These
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2014, 11:15 pm

OliveOilMom wrote:
No. Really. My thing is the fact that somebody has taken a personal preference and opinion and attempted to turn it into a crusade of sorts here. I'm not the only one laughing over this, believe me. I'm probably the only one to make it very clear publically though. I'm not doing this publicly to be a bully at all, but simply because this whole thing and her whole bunch of complaints about perceived sexism has just turned into something that could be parody. Really. I tried to speak up reasonably at first and I was shrilled backed to my corner by her and I don't remember what else was said and don't care enough to go back and reread it but it was silly. Lots of people here, LOTS OF THEM, thought so too. I just can't resist picking at things so I did. I like to have my point at least acknowledged and rejected as what it is rather than what the other person wants to spin it into, and that never happened. Then she just lost all sanity about the subject and became satire. I couldn't not do it.

She's screaming about how "I DON"T FEEL SAFE HERE!" and won't give one damn example of who said what to make her feel unsafe, and also how she feels unsafe on a damn computer anyway. A lot of the things she says are way over the top and unreal, like comparing a guy kissing a girl when he thought she liked him to rape. Please. Come on. Come the f**k on, will ya? Can you not see thats over the top? It's not even in the same satellite range as reality. That kinda thing is what got me and other folks going about this. At first it was just amusement and then it became annoying and since she says women should speak up when something doesn't sit right with them, I did. To her. This is not a cause. This is not an issue. This is not a rights violation or a hate crime or bullying that she's bitching over. She dislikes the ideas of some douchebags. However, wouldn't the definition of douchebag be person you don't like the ideas of to begin with? So ok. She's tried to play it up and talk it up and turn it into something it's not. It's not sexism. It's not discrimination. The fact that a few gullible people fell for what she said (and I do think she honestly believes what she says too) doesn't make it a movement or an underground or a revolution or anything at all other than the fact that she got offended by some as*holes and decided to try and turn it into something it wasn't.

She wants to talk about how she doesn't feel safe here cause some loser can't get laid and complains about women, I'll give you not safe. I damn sure will. Shortly after I got here I said something that folks didn't like (surprise!) and somebody sent me a PM saying he wanted to kill me. Not that he would mind you, but that he wanted to. I told him where I lived and let it go. That is unsafe, not liking some dudes ranting about being alone is not being unsafe.

I'm not bullying her either. Everytime I've ever brought any of this up, I've usually tried to explain myself and my point, and tried to discuss it with them but neither will. I have no ill will towards either and no problem with them being offended by things I'm not offended by, but they won't really do much of anything except twist and shrill and spin what I say and such and never, ever, actually try to get my point even though I have tried to get theirs. So yeah. I said it and I went there. She wants to b***h about how it hurts her that lonely guys here b***h about us all in general then I get to b***h about how I don't like what she's saying on here.

Jerk or not, I'm actually right.

Just because you say your intent is not to bully doesn't mean you aren't being a bully. You're making fun of people because they don't think the same as you, sounds like bullying to me, whether you see it or not. I'm sorry that someone sent you a pm saying they want to kill you, but I don't see how that changes the experience of others on this site.

You may not be the only person laughing, but the 2 people in particular that you seem to enjoy targeting aren't the only ones on the other side of the issue, they're just the most vocal. I"m aware that there are some who don't say anything (I'm guessing because they don't want to be made fun of by people like you--or to be laughed at like their views don't matter), but I guess they are just weak and they should learn to be a jerk like you so that they can be stronger people and be happier, right?

I'm going to have to strongly disagree about how right you are.

You tried to argue reasonably before...that's funny. "I tried to argue reasonably at first, but they wouldn't see how right I was, so now I just make public jokes at their expense and belittle them and their ideas whenever I get the chance." CLASSIC bully. And don't say that your intent isn't to make fun of them because clearly that's not the case.

I know the thread you are referring to where someone supposedly equated accidentally kissing someone to rape, but that's not really how it happened. What they said was that it might be a better practice to ask someone before kissing them, if the alternative is to do something that could result in the sexual assault of another person. If you walk up to someone and kiss them because you thought they were giving you signals and you were wrong it "could" be seen as sexual assault depending on how that person feels about it. You're touching someone in a sexual way when they didn't want to be touched by you. Maybe that person isn't going to go running to the police just because someone tried to kiss them when they didn't want to be kissed, but that doesn't change what it is.

You can choose to disagree, if you like, but that still doesn't make it okay to be a raging a**hole to people who view it differently than you.

--Aldous Huxley

Nights_Like_These
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2014, 11:17 pm

How can you make fun of people and say you have no ill will toward them in the same sentence? Please explain exactly how that works...

--Aldous Huxley

vickygleitz
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2014, 11:34 pm

OliveOilMom wrote:
Vicky, you sexist pig! ( read that line like "Jane you ignorant slut" from SNL in the 70's please for the correct humor) I no longer feel safe here since you choose to just mock sexism! I'm offended. I'm also hurt by this, because I thought that since we were women our vaginas and uterus's caused us to think completely alike, but I was wrong. olias (MEN DO THAT TOO!) and contemplate this. I may even pour brandy over the ice cream first and flambe it after of course placing the two scoops of ice cream strategically in the dish so they can represent Gloria Steinam's bra when I light it. That'll show you!

Frances, you leave me no choice! [ read that line with a hiss, and a slithering forked tongue, like that snake in the pre 70's garden of Eden, except I am not a snake] It is pink! It is wallet-sized! It is covered in nauseating ribbons! It is LAMINATED for gosh sakes! Yes! I have no choice but to pull out the cancer card! Both my uterus and and my vagina are head and shoulders above yours [ don't even THINK about questioning my knowledge of anatomy]

Do you honestly believe that I missed your thinly veiled reference to my reconstructed, cold as ice fake breasts with your fanc y smanshy talk of eating 2 scoops of freezing mounds of ice cream. I KNOW that you are dairy intolerant! And my husband does not touch my mounds and think "talk about colder than a witches tit!" NO! He thinks about beautiful pink Hostess snowballs,each topped with a hersheys kiss and filled with luscious cream filling. That'll show you!