Woman disliking because of height!

Page 2 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

domineekee
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 14 Jan 2018
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,761
Location: UK

08 Nov 2019, 5:21 am

Jamsey, do you mean discount rather than dislike? If so it seems justifiable, we're not duty-bound to feel attracted to everyone.



GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 18 Jun 2012
Age: 37
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,294

08 Nov 2019, 7:58 am

Jamesy, I am almost a foot taller than you and back when I was single would have traded places with you in an instant. Heck, I probably would even today as that would bring me almost eye level with the Mrs as it sucks having a height discrepancy with your spouse. I have never known a short man to EVER have trouble getting a date and in most couples I know the woman is the roughly the same height or slightly taller. When you are tall that's literally all people can see at first and they generally can't see past the stereotypes (NO, I DO NOT PLAY BASKETBALL!!)

You mention that tall men are the "jackpot" yet here I was 28 before even going on my first date and in hindsight it was the textbook definition of a 'pity date so you don't murder me'. Granted I was and am oblivious but if I was that much of a prize like you claim at least one sexually aggressive woman would have been all over me. I'm certainly far from ugly, wear decent clothes and shower regularly. Never happened, not even once.



kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Feb 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 64,763
Location: Queens, NYC

08 Nov 2019, 8:49 am

I feel like the main problem is the bar milieu.



OutsideView
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

User avatar

Joined: 4 Oct 2017
Age: 36
Gender: Male
Posts: 224
Location: England ^not male but apparently you can't change it

08 Nov 2019, 9:01 am

sly279 wrote:
What you or I think doesn’t matter all that matters is what women think and they think I’m worthless trash not worthy of they time or love. Only men with good jobs are good enough.

I don't think you're "worthless trash not worthy of time or love" and if all that matters is what women think then I must be right :mrgreen:


_________________
Silence lies steadily against the wood and stone of Hill House. And we who walk here, walk alone.


Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2008
Gender: Male
Posts: 40,881
Location: Stendec

08 Nov 2019, 9:06 am

Jamesy wrote:
Do you think it’s justified that a woman would dislike a man on first impression because he’s short?
"Dislike"? No, not particularly, but people will dislike others for any number of frivolous reasons, some of which they probably do not consciously understand.

"Reject"? Yes, absolutely. If a woman is looking for "Tall, Dark, and Handsome", and you are short, pale, and somewhat average-looking, then she has every right and reason to reject you.[/color]


_________________
 
“I must acknowledge, once and for all, that the
purpose of diplomacy is to prolong a crisis.”

— Leonard Nimoy as Mr. Spock, in the Star Trek
episode "The Mark of Gideon" (ep. 3.16, 1969)


kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Feb 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 64,763
Location: Queens, NYC

08 Nov 2019, 9:11 am

Stop being a doormat in the bar. Or stop going to the bar altogether.

I’ve been a doormat in my life...so I know what’s going on.

Drunk punks looking to mock somebody like it’s high school again. That’s frequently the “bar scene.”



Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Oct 2008
Age: 30
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,018
Location: Near London United Kingdom

08 Nov 2019, 9:43 am

Fnord wrote:
Jamesy wrote:
Do you think it’s justified that a woman would dislike a man on first impression because he’s short?
"Dislike"? No, not particularly, but people will dislike others for any number of frivolous reasons, some of which they probably do not consciously understand.

"Reject"? Yes, absolutely. If a woman is looking for "Tall, Dark, and Handsome", and you are short, pale, and somewhat average-looking, then she has every right and reason to reject you.[/color]




women can be a lot more choosey than men cant they? why do you think this is?



Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2008
Gender: Male
Posts: 40,881
Location: Stendec

08 Nov 2019, 9:57 am

Jamesy wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Jamesy wrote:
Do you think it’s justified that a woman would dislike a man on first impression because he’s short?
"Dislike"? No, not particularly, but people will dislike others for any number of frivolous reasons, some of which they probably do not consciously understand. "Reject"? Yes, absolutely. If a woman is looking for "Tall, Dark, and Handsome", and you are short, pale, and somewhat average-looking, then she has every right and reason to reject you.
women can be a lot more choosy than men can't they?
Overall, no. Women may be more choosy when it comes to economics, but men may be more choosy when it comes to appearances.
Jamesy wrote:
why do you think this is?
Evolution. A healthy-looking female is more likely to give birth to healthy offspring, while a man of material wealth can well provide for those offspring (and the woman).


_________________
 
“I must acknowledge, once and for all, that the
purpose of diplomacy is to prolong a crisis.”

— Leonard Nimoy as Mr. Spock, in the Star Trek
episode "The Mark of Gideon" (ep. 3.16, 1969)


Guy Incognito
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

Joined: 10 Sep 2019
Age: 39
Posts: 51
Location: Washington, DC

08 Nov 2019, 11:48 am

sly279 wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
That's in a bar....I don't go by what people think in bars.

If I went by what people thought in bars, I would still be a virgin today.


If you were born when I was you’d probably still be a virgin
You were just born before society went to hell
Congratulations :cry:


Where are you located? I ask, because I am in the DC area. It is extremely liberal, everyone seems cold, and people are more focused on their phones than what is in front of them. When I go outside of DC, I see people that wave hi to strangers as they pass by them, hold the doors open for each other, and seem content with life. Social mores and attitudes fluctuate, but we are still a long way from Societal Dystopia.



SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 14 Jul 2019
Gender: Female
Posts: 852

08 Nov 2019, 2:45 pm

Fnord wrote:
A healthy-looking female is more likely to give birth to healthy offspring, while a man of material wealth can well provide for those offspring (and the woman).

Uh, Fnord --- wow, that's a heck of a generalization. Is that your opinion or are you passing along social mores? As the minority for which that does not apply, I am going to spew. It assumes that the woman herself will not produce the wealth. As I previously mentioned that is far from the truth for myself and close female friends. From a generational perspective, in the case of my grandmother, mother and myself --- we look for men that can nurture our children --- we were equipped to provide the income. This has worked out well for me b/c society is more accepting (the discrimination is subtle); it worked not so well for my mom whom was pushed out of the workforce when she had kids (she found proof of blatant discrimination) and it didn't work at all for my grandmother (who was institutionalized in part for not caring for her children as a proper woman should).

By the way, I am healthy-looking and infertile, but I persevere!! !! (and families are formed all ways)



Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2008
Gender: Male
Posts: 40,881
Location: Stendec

08 Nov 2019, 3:08 pm

SharonB wrote:
Fnord wrote:
A healthy-looking female is more likely to give birth to healthy offspring, while a man of material wealth can well provide for those offspring (and the woman).
Uh, Fnord --- wow, that's a heck of a generalization...
Yes, that's exactly what it is, a generalization based on a generalized evolutionary theory.

Back in the Dark Ages (before The Pill, before Women's Suffrage, and before Germ Theory), the general idea was that older, wealthier men would marry younger, healthier women (look up King Henry VIII, for example) in order to produce healthy male heirs. This was not always the case, however, but the general trend.

The custom has held over to the present day -- very rarely (if ever) does a healthy, wealthy woman seek a mate from among the men of Skid Row, and very rarely (if ever) does a healthy wealthy man marry a woman who would not pass for beauty-pageant contestant.

You may feel insulted at this generalization, but take a good look around at all the "May-December" marriages in the news, and even in your own neighborhood.


_________________
 
“I must acknowledge, once and for all, that the
purpose of diplomacy is to prolong a crisis.”

— Leonard Nimoy as Mr. Spock, in the Star Trek
episode "The Mark of Gideon" (ep. 3.16, 1969)


DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 22 Feb 2008
Age: 61
Gender: Female
Posts: 11,197
Location: Northern California

08 Nov 2019, 4:39 pm

I think it is important to remember that for most people preferences are not set in stone. Long run many other traits will prove to be much more important than any preferences that may exist on height. If someone is worried their height is a turn off, they will probably get their best dating results by allowing women to get to know them through shared friends or social groups before seeking to date.


_________________
Mom to an amazing AS son, who recently graduated from the university (plus an also amazing non-AS daughter). Most likely part of the "Broader Autism Phenotype" (some traits).


Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 Jan 2011
Gender: Female
Posts: 30,527
Location: Somewhere in Colorado

08 Nov 2019, 5:01 pm

Jamesy wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
You're not short, James. You're almost 5 foot 8. Stop thinking that you're short.




Average height for a young person in England is 5ft10............


Average height for a male in England is 5ft9 according to the internet. Though in looking that up, I also found an article that sas 5ft8 is an ideal height. So you probably have nothing to worry about in the height department.


_________________
Tell me lies tell me sweet little lies, tell me lies.


Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Oct 2008
Age: 30
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,018
Location: Near London United Kingdom

08 Nov 2019, 7:32 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Jamesy wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
You're not short, James. You're almost 5 foot 8. Stop thinking that you're short.




Average height for a young person in England is 5ft10............


Average height for a male in England is 5ft9 according to the internet. Though in looking that up, I also found an article that sas 5ft8 is an ideal height. So you probably have nothing to worry about in the height department.




For the young generation who are in there early 20s 5ft10 is now the average height from what I heard.



SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 14 Jul 2019
Gender: Female
Posts: 852

08 Nov 2019, 9:15 pm

Back to topic (tabloid like): https://www.themodestman.com/famous-tall-women