12 May 2024, 2:01 am

All classic Disney movies, basically.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

12 May 2024, 3:30 am

nick007 wrote:
Disney princess fairy-tales tend to be very shallow. The guy comes from a very well off background whereas the woman is very poor. The guy comes to her rescue & falls in love with her beauty. They get married based on that & she's presumably gonna be a trophy wife. In real life lots of guys are not very well off. Lots of women do not have extreme physical beauty & even if they do they want to be appreciated for reasons besides their looks. There's an unofficial psych term called Cinderella Complex. I'll include the movie Pretty Woman with this.
I forgot to mention that the movie Another Cinderella Story with Selena Gomez is a bit more realistic or at least more modern. The guy was a pop star instead of a prince who appreciated Selena partly becauses she was a talented dancer.

Various movies besides Disney ones have lots of emphasis placed on kissing. The feelings for each other are judged based on the kiss instead of deciding to kiss based on their feelings for each other.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Mikurotoro92
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2024, 5:02 am

But kissing and making out is fun!! !

No you are right

It should be the other way around, like the kissing should be based on the feelings for each other instead of the feelings being based on the kissing

That should NOT be the only thing to base attraction on in a relationship!

A lot of movies and TV shows have unrealistic fantasy depictions of what love should look like

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2024, 5:52 am

The "Diamond In the Rough" myth, as per the "Aladdin" movies (animated and live-action) -- Disney, of course -- and the Cinderella story.  A commoner falls for a member of royalty, who returns the affections only when the commoner impersonates royalty.  An on-again/off-again/on-again romance ensues with the couple living happily ever after, but only because a genii or fairy godmother intervenes.

Moral of the story: You too can find everlasting happiness in the arms of a prince or princess.  All it takes is a little magic . . .

:eew: Blech.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2024, 6:06 am

The "Hallmark Holiday Movie Formula" has to be the worst.

A dead spouse.  A failing family business.  An attractive stranger.  A community event.

The widow(er) who inherited the family business has no Christmas spirit, yet must go through the motions because the family business somehow contributes mightily to the traditional community festival.  An attractive stranger comes to town, and everybody in the community knows right away that the stranger and the business-person are going to hit it off before the final commercial.  It takes a near-tragic event -- possibly a missing child related to one of them -- to bring the two together.  They bond over the need, apologize to each other for their rudeness and/or callousness toward each other, and discover that they are somehow "fated" to be together.  There is much rejoicing and merriment at the community event over their admission of love for each other.

Roll credits.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2024, 9:19 am

Wall-E.

Because Earth is literally toxic in this one.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2024, 3:09 pm

Now I want to rewatch Wall-E… I’ve always liked it more than my son. :lol:

Anyway, something that happens a lot in sitcoms and romantic comedies are on again/off again relationships and/or love stories involving people who fought constantly when they were merely friends or acquaintances. Those shows and movies irritate me. By the end, I often hope that they don’t end up together because if you can’t get along as friends or acquaintances it doesn’t seem very likely that you’ll get along when you’re together.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2024, 3:11 pm

Fnord wrote:
The "Hallmark Holiday Movie Formula" has to be the worst…

My parents love Hallmark romance movies. I just don’t get it. They are SO bad. :lol:

ProfessorJohn
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2024, 4:27 pm

You meet the right person and EVERYTHING in your live improves.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2024, 5:09 pm

"If you love someone, set them free.
If they come back, it’s meant to be."

Bushlit.

No, if you set someone free, they will hook up with someone else on the rebound, and you will get to stand by and watch their lives unfold in ways that you may never get another chance to see unfold for yourself -- you will always regret having let go of "the one who got away".

:eew: :eew: Double Blech.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

12 May 2024, 5:20 pm

In the case of The Little Mermaid, Ariel gave up her voice because she wanted to be human. She was infatuated with the human world & initiated the relationship because it was her opportunity to be part of that world. I would equate it with a mail-order bride type situation. She sought out a relationship partner from the culture she wanted to be part of & was willing to change in order to fit in with that culture. I'm not automatically against that but it's potentially very risky & either one could be taken advantage of.

TwilightPrincess wrote:
Anyway, something that happens a lot in sitcoms and romantic comedies are on again/off again relationships and/or love stories involving people who fought constantly when they were merely friends or acquaintances. Those shows and movies irritate me. By the end, I often hope that they don’t end up together because if you can’t get along as friends or acquaintances it doesn’t seem very likely that you’ll get along when you’re together.
My cousin broke up with her boyfriend because she thought they fought too much & a couple weeks later they were engaged 8O Me & my family didn't understand it either :? They're still married a few years later & had a kid like a year ago.

I'll ad :arrow:
~Initiating the relationship because of a bet or dare & the one who initiates developes real feelings for the other.
~Both pretending to be a couple & then both develope feelings for each other.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2024, 5:26 pm

Fnord wrote:
The "Hallmark Holiday Movie Formula" has to be the worst.

A dead spouse.  A failing family business.  An attractive stranger.  A community event.

The widow(er) who inherited the family business has no Christmas spirit, yet must go through the motions because the family business somehow contributes mightily to the traditional community festival.  An attractive stranger comes to town, and everybody in the community knows right away that the stranger and the business-person are going to hit it off before the final commercial.  It takes a near-tragic event -- possibly a missing child related to one of them -- to bring the two together.  They bond over the need, apologize to each other for their rudeness and/or callousness toward each other, and discover that they are somehow "fated" to be together.  There is much rejoicing and merriment at the community event over their admission of love for each other.

Roll credits.

There's very little creativity in Hallmark films. Only the time of year and breed of dog change.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

MoeTrashPanda
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 May 2024, 9:43 am

ProfessorJohn wrote:
Movie theme: If you try hard enough, you can just win the person over.

Reality: Some people will not be attracted to you or into you no matter what you do.

Seriously! Persistence is toxic! No means no

ʕ◉ᴥ◉ʔ

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2024, 12:49 am

MoeTrashPanda wrote:
ProfessorJohn wrote:
Movie theme: If you try hard enough, you can just win the person over.

Reality: Some people will not be attracted to you or into you no matter what you do.
Seriously!  Persistence is toxic!  No means no
"I will let him know that Persistence Is Futile." -- Capt. Janeway, speaking to 7 of 9 regarding Ensign Kim's attraction to Ms. 9.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2024, 1:27 am

Bed of Roses. Christian Slater in the movie followed Mary Stuart Masterson to her apartment and then sent her flowers at her work. He basically stalked her. Any woman would be freaked out by this and probably get a restraining order on him but not Lisa in the film. She decided it was so romantic that he liked her enough when he saw her crying at her window he decided to follow her to work to see where she lived and get her name and send her flowers leaving his business on the card.

Men reading this, don't do this. Many women will not find it romantic.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2024, 1:49 am

Fnord wrote:
The "Diamond In the Rough" myth, as per the "Aladdin" movies (animated and live-action) -- Disney, of course -- and the Cinderella story.  A commoner falls for a member of royalty, who returns the affections only when the commoner impersonates royalty.  An on-again/off-again/on-again romance ensues with the couple living happily ever after, but only because a genii or fairy godmother intervenes.

Moral of the story: You too can find everlasting happiness in the arms of a prince or princess.  All it takes is a little magic . . .

Beauty and the Beast. He basically kidnapped Belle because she was the one to break the spell so she would have no choice but to fall in love with him. But wait, it becomes okay everyone because she fell in love with him anyway and chose to come back.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.