Page 2 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2014, 12:18 am

In my experience everyone tends to identify pre-existing circumstances as baggage in these contexts whenever they're stressed, making things difficult given how much time my tribe likes to spend in our respective headspaces...

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2014, 4:55 pm

cberg wrote:
In my experience everyone tends to identify pre-existing circumstances as baggage in these contexts whenever they're stressed, making things difficult given how much time my tribe likes to spend in our respective headspaces...

Not entirely sure what you mean, that term does sorta seem to describe it since it seems to stuff that is not let go of that ends up interfering. But aside from those cases of the guy I was dating having too much of that to have a serious relationship with me, but then I've had a few where nothing like that was ever brought up...it seemed things where going well and then just sorta lost contact. Or recently met someone and seemed like we both enjoyed hanging out when we met up, but haven't heard from them again so maybe they decided they aren't interested after all...who knows. So its not always the baggage thing or whatever.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2014, 5:16 pm

Hmm, got ignored because I am a blunt jerk who doesn't sugar-coat...wiiiii :lol:.

I don't know why you are so focusing on the possibility of being "boring" as a first reason, which it takes quite a time to conclude that of a person anyway (usually guys would assume it's shyness first and this is rarely a turn off for guys), rather than simpler stuff like the in-flesh looks or simply losing to the competition (usually, looks wise). Dating through the internet is initially superficially driven (check hale_bopp's thread, she explained why is that well), even for the 'hippies' who often claim to be so uniquely un-superficial - they aren't.

I myself, know for sure, that the reason #1 of why some dates didn't pass the 1st one was the in-flesh looks. Period. Recalling back these specific dates, I can tell very well what turned them off, and that's the height that they didn't anticipate or didn't check for it on the profile - first impression comments and slip-of-tongue hints such as "you're cute, you looked bigger in pics", "you looked taller in pics" and you "I thought you are taller" are (because I am muscularly lean and for some reason I give the impression that I am TALL and BIG in pictures), that's it, these hints were enough to tell that they didn't like much (or got disappointed) what they've seen.

The dates often went "well", the girls often giggled and smiled and were actively participating in the conversation, and often told me that I am funny and have a good humor, and turned to be liked-minded on many things and them agreeing on many things...etc....but all that won't compensate the lack in my physical looks to them (and the lack of car which also had its hints). Maybe you think they thought of you you're too geeky or too hippie or too introvert or too whatever? Well, these things are often revealed before the dates in profile and in the pre-date chat/messages exchanges - so no, it's not because of that.

Seriously, if you are well-mannered and hygienic, the reasons your dates have to dismiss you in dating are usually that simple and superficial, it's rarely because of some lack of eye contact or because the way you talk or the way of your facial expressions or because of some joke you said or even your AS.....etc. In other term, you're over-digging the possibilities, while the true reasons are often there on the surface.

If you are like me, cursed by being better-looking/photogenic in pics than in real, then this kind of disappointment will happen to you often while using online dating.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2014, 5:37 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
I don't know why you are focusing on the being boring as possibility, which it takes quite a time to conclude that of a person, rather than simpler stuff like the in-flesh looks or simply losing to the competition (usually, looks wise). Dating through the internet is initially superficially driven (check hale_bopp's thread, she explained why is that well), even for the 'hippies' who often claim to be so uniquely un-superficial - they aren't.

I myself, know for sure, that the reason #1 of why some dates didn't pass the 1st one was the in-flesh looks. Period. Recalling back these specific dates, I can tell very well what turned them off, and that's the height that they didn't anticipate or didn't check for it on the profile - first impression comments and slip-of-tongue hints such as "you're cute, you looked bigger in pics", "you looked taller in pics" and you "I thought you are taller" are (because I am muscularly lean and for some reason I give the impression that I am TALL and BIG in pictures), that's it, these hints were enough to tell that they didn't like much (or got disappointed) what they've seen.

The dates often went "well", the girls often giggled and smiled and were actively participating in the conversation, and often told me that I am funny and have a good humor, and turned to be liked-minded on many things and them agreeing on many things...etc....but all that won't compensate the lack in my physical looks to them (and the lack of car which also had its hints). Maybe you think they thought of you you're too geeky or too hippie or too introvert or too whatever? Well, these things are often revealed before the dates in profile and in the pre-date chat/messages exchanges - so no, it's not because of that.

Seriously, if you are well-mannered and hygienic, the reasons your dates have to dismiss you in dating are usually that simple and superficial, it's rarely because of some lack of eye contact or because the way you talk or the way of your facial expressions or because of some joke you said or even your AS.....etc. In other term, you're over-digging the possibilities, while the true reasons are often there on the surface.

If you are like me, cursed by being better-looking/photogenic in pics than in real, then this kind of disappointment will happen to you often while using online dating.

Hmm that did not occur to me, but it does make sense...lol, I tend to dig a little too deep trying to figure what I must have done wrong when things don't work out. Perhaps there are times its as simple as it turns out they lack the physical attraction they want...or I am not what they expect and they find I am not what they are looking for. Guess I just gotta try and keep in mind not to take it personally....obviously if I can get a date in the first place I am doing something right its just a matter of finding someone who I bond with I suppose, and who equally bonds with me.

Also though I feel like I look worse in pictures, I mean most pictures I take of myself I delete because it takes forever to actually get a half way decent looking one...Also I guess realistically when people are dating much of the time they will have a nice time together and go their separate ways if there is not enough mutual interest I guess that is normal..perhaps my problem is hyper-focusing on it when it happens and think it must be some terrible flaw in my personality or something.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2014, 5:41 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
I don't know why you are focusing on the being boring as possibility, which it takes quite a time to conclude that of a person, rather than simpler stuff like the in-flesh looks or simply losing to the competition (usually, looks wise). Dating through the internet is initially superficially driven (check hale_bopp's thread, she explained why is that well), even for the 'hippies' who often claim to be so uniquely un-superficial - they aren't.

Hmm that did not occur to me, but it does make sense...lol, I tend to dig a little too deep trying to figure what I must have done wrong when things don't work out. Perhaps there are times its as simple as it turns out they lack the physical attraction they want...or I am not what they expect and they find I am not what they are looking for. Guess I just gotta try and keep in mind not to take it personally....obviously if I can get a date in the first place I am doing something right its just a matter of finding someone who I bond with I suppose, and who equally bonds with me.

Also though I feel like I look worse in pictures, I mean most pictures I take of myself I delete because it takes forever to actually get a half way decent looking one...Also I guess realistically when people are dating much of the time they will have a nice time together and go their separate ways if there is not enough mutual interest I guess that is normal..perhaps my problem is hyper-focusing on it when it happens and think it must be some terrible flaw in my personality or something.

That's why people often look better in pictures, because you are expressly omitting your "ugly" angles, you can't do that in reality.

What you were doing in this thread all the time, that you were giving too much credits to these dates, you obviously liked them, and your mind didn't want to accept the fact that they may have superficial inclinations like most people do; so your mind went overthinking and blaming yourself instead.

Brung
Raven
Raven

25 Dec 2014, 5:56 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
...obviously if I can get a date in the first place I am doing something right...

Sweet leaf, unless you're primarily meeting guys over the internet first. Ones who scout you anonymously within your agreed meeting place, decide they don't like what they see, then bail on you standing you up, I'd put the superficial argument on the back burner. You're obviously attractive enough in your pictures and in RL to get the dates from the get-go, so... :wink:

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2014, 6:33 pm

Almost any young female on dating sites can get dates on dating sites, regardless whether she is awesome or terrible as a person, so no, it's not an indication for you in any form or shape that you are doing 'something right' - it may be a good indicator for a male that he's doing something right, yes, but for your gender it is not, your primarily indicator should be the frequency of the second/3rd dates.

(Again, being the blunt non sugar-coating as*hole).

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2014, 1:47 pm

As far as making a relationship last is concerned, I would make a couple of observations. I apologize in advance if they don't apply here.

1.) I was once in a relationship with someone who I think may have been on the spectrum (I plan to post about that some day but I'm still somewhat paranoid about that). Anyway, what was most outstanding about that relationship was how "zero maintenance" she was. That may sound like a good thing, but I think it led me to take her for granted. So you should keep that in mind, the next time you're in a relationship, try to communicate about your own feelings, especially how you'd feel if he cheated or left you on your own for long periods. Not sure exactly how, but don't let him take you for granted (but in a nice way, of course!).

2.) For most guys, the early part of a relationship is mostly about the sex, even if they don't say so. Don't let that bother you, instead emphasize your physical attraction to him (even if you have to exaggerate). Talk freely about sex, find out what he wants, tell him what you want, then afterward tell him how much you enjoyed it. If he thinks you're hot for him it will make him want you more. If you're up to it, initiate sex at unexpected times. Also mix a lot of "affection" in with the basics.

Don't worry about being "boring". If a guy really wants to be with you, he shouldn't need constant excitement.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2014, 6:52 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Almost any young female on dating sites can get dates on dating sites, regardless whether she is awesome or terrible as a person, so no, it's not an indication for you in any form or shape that you are doing 'something right' - it may be a good indicator for a male that he's doing something right, yes, but for your gender it is not, your primarily indicator should be the frequency of the second/3rd dates.

(Again, being the blunt non sugar-coating as*hole).

Well I meant something right to get an initial date, beyond that is where issues seem to arise...and much of the time hard to determine if its me, them or both like we just don't end up bonding.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2014, 2:42 am

Basically what I mean is that I belong to a culture of obscure creative and/or scholarly types (I'm the latter) in which we spend far more time & energy on our immediate surroundings of technology, music, science and art in no particular order than we do catching up with each other. Although we throw absurdly intense parties, the time gets filled with exchanges of ideas, surrealist humor, drinking/smoking and tremendous amounts of reprisal of just what on earth we've been up to for the last X months. Considering how incongruous our level of platonic tendencies is in contrast to the setting, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if half of all my friends were undiagnosed aspies.

My ex (I think...?) was one of the artist caste. I was/am superseded by her girlfriend even though that was no issue to either of us to begin with.

Lolz by now I'm pretty sure you can guess what town I'm referring to...

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

Vomelche
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2014, 4:21 pm

This is probably the same issue for a lot of us

Cafeaulait
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2014, 5:18 pm

MaxE wrote:
As far as making a relationship last is concerned, I would make a couple of observations. I apologize in advance if they don't apply here.

1.) I was once in a relationship with someone who I think may have been on the spectrum (I plan to post about that some day but I'm still somewhat paranoid about that). Anyway, what was most outstanding about that relationship was how "zero maintenance" she was. That may sound like a good thing, but I think it led me to take her for granted. So you should keep that in mind, the next time you're in a relationship, try to communicate about your own feelings, especially how you'd feel if he cheated or left you on your own for long periods. Not sure exactly how, but don't let him take you for granted (but in a nice way, of course!).

2.) For most guys, the early part of a relationship is mostly about the sex, even if they don't say so. Don't let that bother you, instead emphasize your physical attraction to him (even if you have to exaggerate). Talk freely about sex, find out what he wants, tell him what you want, then afterward tell him how much you enjoyed it. If he thinks you're hot for him it will make him want you more. If you're up to it, initiate sex at unexpected times. Also mix a lot of "affection" in with the basics.

Don't worry about being "boring". If a guy really wants to be with you, he shouldn't need constant excitement.

But why would a guy want to be with a boring woman that brings no interesting topics to the table or isn't lively? I can't think of anything other than sex/lust. I don't want that from a guy, I want a serious relationship.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2014, 8:28 pm

Cafeaulait wrote:
But why would a guy want to be with a boring woman that brings no interesting topics to the table or isn't lively? I can't think of anything other than sex/lust. I don't want that from a guy, I want a serious relationship.
The OP has suggested the possibility she's boring. I wouldn't have any way to know. My first girlfriend was probably quite boring when you think about it. Possibly the most interesting thing she did was collect dolls. But I still enjoyed her companionship. Which I suppose is my point. If you enjoy being with someone, it's unlikely you will judge them based on how interesting they are. In this case, I think it much more important she be with someone who shares her interests.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2014, 8:31 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
...Well I meant something right to get an initial date, beyond that is where issues seem to arise...and much of the time hard to determine if its me, them or both like we just don't end up bonding.
Have you considered the possibility some guys might think they've struck out with you? If you have one date and want to see the guy again, be sure you make him aware of that. Like asking when can you see him again. Very few single men consider themselves God's gift to women.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2014, 9:21 pm

Cafeaulait wrote:
MaxE wrote:

They probably would not want that...but not so sure every guy I'd be interested in would find the topics I bring to the table interesting but I'd like to think some things I talk about are interesting, though I know i can get a little redundant because I might go on about a certain interest or topic for a while...I try not to over-do it too much and its probably not even as big of a deal as I think it is, maybe though. As for lively...I am lively about some things, or at least enthusiastic kinda though I am not like one of those girls that thinks everything is 'amazing' and is fascinated by any and every thing that takes place however.

Vomelche
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2014, 9:47 am

Its not possible to be always lively, it would be like living in a sitcom. Everyone has their ups and downs. Most people are boring anyway; go to work, eat, sleep, always following norms.