If you're 27 and never had a girlfriend, is it too late?

Page 2 of 52 [ 824 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 52  Next

WantToHaveALife
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2015, 12:42 pm

I will admit, the lack of a girlfriend, the lack of companionship, the lack of a sex life has made it very difficult for me to focus on other areas in my life, I would feel it is also probably one of the factors as to why i'm not financially stable, well-established yet in my life.

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2015, 12:50 pm

I think it's the "other areas" of your life you have to get right before a successful relationship is even possible. You've got to be a whole person first. Don't look for a relationship to fill a void in your life.

For the record, I was 39 before I entered into my first relationship. I had myself convinced I was asexual, which was complete nonsense.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

WantToHaveALife
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2015, 1:12 pm

VegetableMan wrote:
I think it's the "other areas" of your life you have to get right before a successful relationship is even possible. You've got to be a whole person first. Don't look for a relationship to fill a void in your life.

For the record, I was 39 before I entered into my first relationship. I had myself convinced I was asexual, which was complete nonsense.

ya well then how the hell do you explain so many people who are not financially-stable yet, not well-established yet, are able to get into relationships?

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2015, 1:42 pm

Hey, anybody can enter a relationship regardless of their standing in life. I'm simply saying that if you want to have a better chance at having a successful one, you'd better be in a better position financially, psychologically, and even spiritually.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

SilverStar
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2015, 5:54 pm

WantToHaveALife wrote:
I will admit, the lack of a girlfriend, the lack of companionship, the lack of a sex life has made it very difficult for me to focus on other areas in my life, I would feel it is also probably one of the factors as to why i'm not financially stable, well-established yet in my life.

A relationship isn't going to make you financially stable. Unless you find a responsible person, you could even end up in worse shape financially.

WantToHaveALife
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2015, 8:47 pm

SilverStar wrote:
WantToHaveALife wrote:

A relationship isn't going to make you financially stable. Unless you find a responsible person, you could even end up in worse shape financially.

well I often feel that if I was more successful socially, in terms of dating and relationships, like if I had a girlfriend a long time ago, and had a more fun social life that consisted of more friends, that made me more outgoing, it would have provided me with the self-esteem, confidence, validation to have inspiration, motivation and drive to succeed in other areas of my life, unfortuneately, and it really pisses me off, that life, society, culture, or reality, expects us guys to be the more independent, self-reliant gender.

Non_Passerine
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Apr 2015, 9:09 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Marrying =/= getting a boyfriend/girlfriend.

But isn't marrying the goal of getting a boyfriend/ girlfriend? A monogamous romantic commitment is a monogamous romantic commitment.

I'm also 27, and see myself walking down the aisle as an old lady with a multiple-time divorcee/ widower (assuming I lose my crush)... if I'm lucky.

Agemaki
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Apr 2015, 9:31 pm

CoffinCrawler wrote:
I have to be more cautious as a female aspie because it's so easy for me to get stuck with someone abusive and not even realize it. It seems hopeless at times, but I still have faith that maybe someday I'll meet someone good for me. As cliché as it sounds, you just gotta keep looking.

Very true. It is easy to place so much importance on not being alone that you are willing to settle for anyone, even if they are abusive and neglectful. You have to realize that you do have something valid to offer and that the right person will appreciate you for who you are. Being in an abusive relationship is much worse than being alone, since it hurts your self esteem and you begin to feel that you deserve the abuse and that that is all you can ever hope for. It is much better to save your heart for someone who will take care of it. (Though I think that this applies to both men and women.)

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2015, 10:59 pm

Non_Passerine wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Marrying =/= getting a boyfriend/girlfriend.

But isn't marrying the goal of getting a boyfriend/ girlfriend? A monogamous romantic commitment is a monogamous romantic commitment.

I'm also 27, and see myself walking down the aisle as an old lady with a multiple-time divorcee/ widower (assuming I lose my crush)... if I'm lucky.

Not always. I have known people who were perfectly happy with each other, until right after the marriage ceremony. At that stage, one of them changed (and so did the relationship). After the eventual divorce, they mentioned that they should have just stayed together, but not married and it would have likely worked out. Later on, they moved back in together, but agreed no marriage this time. Guess what, they are still living together.

As for the original question, no, 27 is not too late. I am much older than that (early 40s) and am in the same boat when it comes to experience with sex. Although, I did have a neighbor "girlfriend" that I hung out with at age 11 (same age at the time). We held hands and kissed a few times, but that was it. After that, I moved away out of state and life got in the way. She grew up into a beautiful woman from the graduation pictures that I saw of her, but I knew by then that too much time had passed between us (she would likely not remember me). Over time, I learned to concentrate frustration and loneliness into effort on my work/hobbies. As long as I preoccupy my mind with being creative, I do not think about it much anymore. That is what drives me to do the things that I do. Some would mark me a loser for this, but so be it, it is my life (not theirs) to decide on how to live it. Besides, could the world actually survive with two minds quite like mine working in tandem?

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2015, 4:07 am

Diningroom wrote:
sly279 wrote:
27 as well and I think for me anyways it is. I considering moving up my plans. even living to 35 now seems too horrible.

If you think you're depressed or going to hurt yourself, please please please get medical help.

no help for this. some people just born wrong and unloveable.

VegetableMan wrote:

what about all the thousands of years of poor families and couples.

SilverStar wrote:
WantToHaveALife wrote:

for a lot of people a relationship is the drive to be financially stable that wouldn't be there without the relationship. they have a reason to try. the old quote of behind every successful man is a successful woman. comes to mind. women tend to care more about that stuff and push the guy to do it. I for one am content working a lower paying job, pays for stuff I would want/need. like people turning their life around when they have a kid.

WantToHaveALife
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2015, 11:30 am

sly279 wrote:
Diningroom wrote:
sly279 wrote:
27 as well and I think for me anyways it is. I considering moving up my plans. even living to 35 now seems too horrible.

If you think you're depressed or going to hurt yourself, please please please get medical help.

no help for this. some people just born wrong and unloveable.

VegetableMan wrote:

what about all the thousands of years of poor families and couples.

SilverStar wrote:
WantToHaveALife wrote:

for a lot of people a relationship is the drive to be financially stable that wouldn't be there without the relationship. they have a reason to try. the old quote of behind every successful man is a successful woman. comes to mind. women tend to care more about that stuff and push the guy to do it. I for one am content working a lower paying job, pays for stuff I would want/need. like people turning their life around when they have a kid.

exactly, same thing with having a lot of friends, a large social circle or large social network, in which you frequently get invited to parties, other social events, etc., that can also provide a person with confidence, high self-esteem, validation, which in then can make the person have motivation and drive to succeed in other areas of their life

Diningroom
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

21 Apr 2015, 2:59 pm

:oops:

WantToHaveALife wrote:
SilverStar wrote:
WantToHaveALife wrote:

well I often feel that if I was more successful socially, in terms of dating and relationships, like if I had a girlfriend a long time ago, and had a more fun social life that consisted of more friends, that made me more outgoing, it would have provided me with the self-esteem, confidence, validation to have inspiration, motivation and drive to succeed in other areas of my life, unfortuneately, and it really pisses me off, that life, society, culture, or reality, expects us guys to be the more independent, self-reliant gender.

WantToHaveALife --

Clearly, not being financially stable/established as a strategy for finding a girlfriend hasn't worked for you. Perhaps it's time to try a different approach?

You're also a grownup who has completed his post-secondary education who isn't financially stable -- many women (myself included) will not date you because of that. I don't expect a guy to support me (& have dated plenty of guys who make less than me, which is no biggie).

That being said, the giant chip on your shoulder is HUGELY unappealing -- the universe doesn't owe you friends, financial stability, self-esteem or a girlfriend. There is no magic wand that can be waved to give you some (or any!) of those things... you must work for them.

The place to start would be with the things that are 100% within your control -- financial stability, social skills and self-esteem -- otherwise, you're dooming yourself to fail. There's no guarantee you will EVER have a relationship -- NOBODY's guaranteed that!

Is raging at the universe for being single working for you?

Is being bitter at adult women who GASP expect the men they date to be independent adults capable of supporting themselves working for you?

You have a big-time over-entitlement complex and expect a relationship to find you -- without any effort on your part!

Would you want to date a bitter, anti-social, dead broke girl who expected you to make her self-confident and socially/financially successful?

I'm guessing NO. So why would girls wanna date YOU as-is? I'm genuinely curious. Give me a list of reasons.

rdos
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2015, 3:12 pm

Diningroom wrote:
Would you want to date a bitter, anti-social, dead broke girl who expected you to make her self-confident and socially/financially successful?

Bitter, no, but the rest would be fine with me.

OTOH, I wouldn't date a gossiper, one that cannot make voluntary commitments, and I certainly wouldn't want to date somebody that think parties, NT social skills and friends are important qualities.

WantToHaveALife
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2015, 4:05 pm

Diningroom wrote:
WantToHaveALife wrote:
SilverStar wrote:
WantToHaveALife wrote:

WantToHaveALife --

Clearly, not being financially stable/established as a strategy for finding a girlfriend hasn't worked for you. Perhaps it's time to try a different approach?

You're also a grownup who has completed his post-secondary education who isn't financially stable -- many women (myself included) will not date you because of that. I don't expect a guy to support me (& have dated plenty of guys who make less than me, which is no biggie).

That being said, the giant chip on your shoulder is HUGELY unappealing -- the universe doesn't owe you friends, financial stability, self-esteem or a girlfriend. There is no magic wand that can be waved to give you some (or any!) of those things... you must work for them.

The place to start would be with the things that are 100% within your control -- financial stability, social skills and self-esteem -- otherwise, you're dooming yourself to fail. There's no guarantee you will EVER have a relationship -- NOBODY's guaranteed that!

Is being bitter at adult women who GASP expect the men they date to be independent adults capable of supporting themselves working for you?

You have a big-time over-entitlement complex and expect a relationship to find you -- without any effort on your part!

I'm guessing NO. So why would girls wanna date YOU as-is? I'm genuinely curious. Give me a list of reasons.

Looks like I won't get my first ever girlfriend until my 30's, I would not be comfortable with that at all, and I also do NOT want my first girlfriend to become my wife, I'm not interested in getting married or settling down yet, I want to experience a couple of relationships for experience, practice, but because my age I'm worried that ship has sailed a long ass time ago, and when people say it is never too late, I assume they are referring to types of romantic relationships, like you said that the universe doesn't owe me anything, you are absolutely right, especially since I'm a guy and us guys are dealt with the card of having to be the initiator, be the assertive ones.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2015, 4:16 pm

Diningroom wrote:
WantToHaveALife wrote:
SilverStar wrote:
WantToHaveALife wrote:

WantToHaveALife --

Give me a list of reasons why any man would wanna to have a relationship with a woman constantly yelling at men (and only men) and constantly accusing them of entitlement complex.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2015, 4:36 pm

WantToHaveALife wrote:

Why would having a partner make you financially stable? I don't get the connection.

WantToHaveALife wrote:
... and it really pisses me off, that life, society, culture, or reality, expects us guys to be the more independent, self-reliant gender.

I think it's the other way around. Women are way more self-reliant.

What I hear you saying is that your social challenges (from autism) are being compounded by the lack of social experience they lead to. For me, I try to force myself to do social things, but it never feels quite right. But being alone all the time is worse.