Jono
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2014, 3:47 pm

tarantella64 wrote:
Jono wrote:
tarantella64 wrote:
you know, here's the thing I don't get.

I like sex a lot, and I've had some mindblowing lovers, and some crazy-bad lovers, and lovers who could not for the life of them keep it up long enough to get anywhere, and lovers who got abruptly shy and embarrassed and admitted that actually they hadn't wanted sex just then but were putting on a bit of bravado.

At no time -- no matter how sexually frustrated any of these guys left me -- did it even occur to me that they owed me anything. That it was up to them to "finish what they'd started". Because omg, what a horrifying and brutal thought that is. Also, I have a fully functional hand with which to get myself off, although it also never occurred to me to just forget they were in the room and get to it, because hello rude. I'd always ask if they minded, first. (Answer: sometimes, yes actually, it made them uncomfortable, so if they suggested leaving the room, I'd say that's okay, forget it.) Or just, you know, it's sexual frustration, not cancer, I can put my pants back on and go out, I lived.

So what the hell is this "rage at woman if she doesn't get you off when it looked like a sure thing" business that floats around in the culture? Blue balls, necessary for nobody.

So, if you're horny and she's not, that's equivalent believing that she "owes" it to you?

No, I didn't say that at all.

I know that you didn't but you didn't read the linked article with which this chart was taken from and that article did imply that.

tarantella64 wrote:
Quote:
If you've got a higher sex drive than her and feeling frustrated by the lack of sex in your relationship (but not demanding it from her, which is a different issue), then does that mean that you're feeling "entitled"?

No, I didn't say that, either.

Ditto.

tarantella64 wrote:
Quote:
You know, I find it quite unfair to label all men who've done nothing at all except simply feel frustrated that their sexual needs aren't being met in a relationship (not even to the point of demanding sex from their wives or girlfriends), when I know that there are a lot of women who would leave a relationship for that reason.

1. It would be unfair -- if someone had said that sexual frustration is the same thing as demanding sex from someone else. But nobody has said that. Or implied that.
2. I believe we've already covered the point that men don't owe women sex, either.

1. The original article, in fact, did imply that sexual frustration is the same thing as demanding sex from another person.

2. Nobody owes anybody sex. However, whether male or female, you do not owe necessarily owe your partner a guarantee that you will stay with them forever and you are allowed to leave them if you are unhappy in that relationship for whatever reason. If you're unhappy because you're sexually frustrated, then it's still your choice ether to stay with them or not. My point was not that there were some women who feel that men owed them sex, my point was that if they feel that sex is important to them in a relationship and they're frustrated by not getting any, they have the choice to leave or whether they want to stay in it. The same with men.

1401b
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2014, 3:49 pm

tarantella64 wrote:
you know, here's the thing I don't get.

I like sex a lot, and I've had some mindblowing lovers, and some crazy-bad lovers, and lovers who could not for the life of them keep it up long enough to get anywhere, and lovers who got abruptly shy and embarrassed and admitted that actually they hadn't wanted sex just then but were putting on a bit of bravado.

At no time -- no matter how sexually frustrated any of these guys left me -- did it even occur to me that they owed me anything. That it was up to them to "finish what they'd started". Because omg, what a horrifying and brutal thought that is. Also, I have a fully functional hand with which to get myself off, although it also never occurred to me to just forget they were in the room and get to it, because hello rude. I'd always ask if they minded, first. (Answer: sometimes, yes actually, it made them uncomfortable, so if they suggested leaving the room, I'd say that's okay, forget it.) Or just, you know, it's sexual frustration, not cancer, I can put my pants back on and go out, I lived.

So what the hell is this "rage at woman if she doesn't get you off when it looked like a sure thing" business that floats around in the culture? Blue balls, necessary for nobody.

There isn't.
Only a moron that hasn't the slightest beginning of a clue about men would think this about men.

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2014, 3:49 pm

1024 wrote:
tarantella64, you didn't say these thins, I don't know why Jono quoted you. The originally linked article implied these things.

I quoted her, but I was referring to the original article and talking about it in that context. I know that she didn't say them.

1401b
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2014, 3:54 pm

Marcia wrote:
1024 wrote:
Nobody legally owes you sex, but it is more or less implied in marriage, the same way as monogamy is implied.
?..

And they should serve as a warning to every woman who is considering tying her life to a man with whom she may easily not be interested in sex a few years later.

And that is why for centuries men had the right to have sex with their wife, even if she refused, because she was deemed to have given her consent, once and for all, when they got married.

I am a 46 year old woman, living in Scotland, and I was old enough to be married when the law here eventually acknowledged that for a husband to have non-consensual sex with his wife was actually rape. Before that, it was technically impossible for a woman to be raped by her husband.

BS.
Most men don't like hurting the things they like.

(god, I can't even spell the and they right)

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2014, 3:57 pm

1401b wrote:
Marcia wrote:
1024 wrote:
Nobody legally owes you sex, but it is more or less implied in marriage, the same way as monogamy is implied.
?..

And they should serve as a warning to every woman who is considering tying her life to a man with whom she may easily not be interested in sex a few years later.

And that is why for centuries men had the right to have sex with their wife, even if she refused, because she was deemed to have given her consent, once and for all, when they got married.

I am a 46 year old woman, living in Scotland, and I was old enough to be married when the law here eventually acknowledged that for a husband to have non-consensual sex with his wife was actually rape. Before that, it was technically impossible for a woman to be raped by her husband.

BS.
Most men don't like hurting they things the like.

Maybe so but to fair, it's actually true that marital rape was only recognised in law fairly recently. So, what she's saying is true.

1401b
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2014, 3:59 pm

Jono wrote:
1401b wrote:
Marcia wrote:
1024 wrote:
?..

BS.

Maybe so but to fair, it's actually true that marital rape was only recognised in law fairly recently. So, what she's saying is true.

What's being claimed by that implication is not true.

1401b
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2014, 4:04 pm

Claiming that men think they are owed sex is the same as claiming men are rapists.

Cafeaulait
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2014, 4:14 pm

Some men think they are owed sex, some do not. I've met the most different men in my life.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2014, 4:17 pm

Not all men think this way,but some think that if they buy dinner you owe them something in return.If you are not into them they come back with names like dick tease,frigid.dyke,ice princess,user,etc...
Of couser there are some women that will go out with a man to get something,gold diggers,neither sex is perfect.

ReticentJaeger
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2014, 4:20 pm

1401b wrote:
Claiming that men think they are owed sex is the same as claiming men are rapists.

...No. It might be an annoying generalization, but it's not the same as calling them 'rapists', even if some rapists act on a sense of self-entitlement. Maybe I missed something, but I don't remember anyone saying that 'all' or 'most' men think they're owed sex. I think everyone was just calling attention to the fact that some do.

Marcia
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2014, 4:37 pm

1401b wrote:
Jono wrote:
1401b wrote:
Marcia wrote:
1024 wrote:
?..

BS.

What's being claimed by that implication is not true.

I was pointing out the fact that in many countries the legal concept of marital rape is a recent one - within the past maybe 3 decades or so. A woman was deemed to have given her consent when she got married and so legally her husband was entitled to have sex with her, whether she consented on that particular day or not. She had given consent when she got married, so she had no recourse to law. The law did not, and still in a number of countries does not, recognise that a woman had any right to refuse to have sex with her husband. So, in the recent past and currently (depending on location), a husband was and is, in law, entitled to have sex with his wife, even if she does not consent at that particular time.

If I recall correctly, the case which brought about the change in law in England related to a husband and wife who had separated. She was no longer living in the marital home, but had moved in with her parents. Her estranged husband when to her parents' home when she was there alone, and had non-consensual sex with her. It wasn't so much the fact that the sex was non-consensual that was the deciding factor in the case so much that the non-consensual sex didn't take place in the marital home. She had left the marital home, and the marriage, so her lawyers were able to argue that it was in fact rape. The law was changed after that to recognise marital rape as a criminal offence.

Last edited by Marcia on 24 Jul 2014, 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tarantella64
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2014, 4:39 pm

AngelRho wrote:
I don't think of marriage as a place to DEMAND sex. I thinking DEMANDING sex and saying marriage partners owe it to themselves and each other not to withhold intimacy are completely different things.

It's a moral issue, not a legal one. Once sex becomes a weapon, either giving it or withholding it, the relationship has failed. I prefer that my wife be a willing partner, so I don't press the issue if it just isn't going to happen. But I know that I COULD ask my wife for sex at almost any time and she'd be ok with it even if she's not in the mood. There's just something, I dunno, icky about someone who won't or can't reciprocate. Withholding sex in marriage for an extended time is just a mean thing to do.

If you want to play it safe as a married man, I'd say never approach your mate for sex unless she initiates it. Doesn't mean you can't try, but men tend to be better at getting in the mood for sex-on-demand than women are. Depending on how well you tolerate dry spells, it's probably most often better to just wait. The ability to have sex any or every time you want it regardless of the mood is going to depend heavily on how healthy the relationship is.

I'm not down with this whole notion of "withholding", which implies I've got something that belongs to you, and am not letting you have it (generic pronouns).

If I'm having sex, it's because I actively want to have sex with that person. If I'm not having sex, I'm not "withholding" it. There isn't anything that belongs to the other person that I'm playing keep-away with. I just don't want to have sex. Similarly, when my various boyfriends haven't been up for it whenever, they haven't been "withholding" it from me. They just didn't want sex.

If you're involved with someone who plays passive-aggressive head games, actually wanting sex but not having it with you in order to manipulate you -- well, that's f****d up. Because of the manipulation part. And that, not the no-sexytimes, is why you should go.

tarantella64
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2014, 4:40 pm

1401b wrote:

Er... no. Wait! You are Andrea Dworkin and I claim my five pounds!

Marcia
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2014, 4:42 pm

tarantella64 wrote:
AngelRho wrote:
I don't think of marriage as a place to DEMAND sex. I thinking DEMANDING sex and saying marriage partners owe it to themselves and each other not to withhold intimacy are completely different things.

It's a moral issue, not a legal one. Once sex becomes a weapon, either giving it or withholding it, the relationship has failed. I prefer that my wife be a willing partner, so I don't press the issue if it just isn't going to happen. But I know that I COULD ask my wife for sex at almost any time and she'd be ok with it even if she's not in the mood. There's just something, I dunno, icky about someone who won't or can't reciprocate. Withholding sex in marriage for an extended time is just a mean thing to do.

If you want to play it safe as a married man, I'd say never approach your mate for sex unless she initiates it. Doesn't mean you can't try, but men tend to be better at getting in the mood for sex-on-demand than women are. Depending on how well you tolerate dry spells, it's probably most often better to just wait. The ability to have sex any or every time you want it regardless of the mood is going to depend heavily on how healthy the relationship is.

I'm not down with this whole notion of "withholding", which implies I've got something that belongs to you, and am not letting you have it (generic pronouns).

If I'm having sex, it's because I actively want to have sex with that person. If I'm not having sex, I'm not "withholding" it. There isn't anything that belongs to the other person that I'm playing keep-away with. I just don't want to have sex. Similarly, when my various boyfriends haven't been up for it whenever, they haven't been "withholding" it from me. They just didn't want sex.

If you're involved with someone who plays passive-aggressive head games, actually wanting sex but not having it with you in order to manipulate you -- well, that's f****d up. Because of the manipulation part. And that, not the no-sexytimes, is why you should go.

Thanks for this post. The "withholding" thing bothered me too.

tarantella64
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2014, 4:44 pm

1401b wrote:
Marcia wrote:
1024 wrote:
?..

BS.

Here ya go.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marital_rape

Still happens a lot, actually. I hear the most insane stories from some women about their husbands, esp. the religious ones. My kid's violin teacher used to pull all nighters during what she figured were her fertile times because her husband insisted he should get more kids, and she'd had horrible postpartum depression with the last two, and she knew that if she lay down and fell asleep, she'd wake up with him on top of her. It took her a while to get educated enough to be able to get independent with four kids.

emtyeye
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2014, 6:22 pm

1401b wrote:
Marcia wrote:
1024 wrote:
?..

BS.

1401b: She is saying there was no law preventing a man from having sex with his wife whenever he wanted until recently. This meant their was no way a woman COULD say no; a de-facto legalization of rape in marriage. This more recent change in law is true now in many places, but not everywhere.

If you think some men do not hurt their wives or other women they "like", even kill them, then you are really out of touch with the real world, and, clearly, do not know what it is like to be a woman.

PS: I do not hate men or women or other creatures for what they are. But I do hate some ideas.