Page 4 of 14 [ 210 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 14  Next

Sagroth
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2011, 4:44 am

Aye. One person's PM'd opinioned does not you a creep make.

Coming from several, I would wager that that would be another story.

Wolfheart
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2011, 5:41 am

I don't really message people first, people have messaged me to elaborate on a certain topic or just to simply make friendly conversation which I see as fine and I'm always open to private messages, I even had one female member message me to tell me how compassionate I was for giving advice.

I haven't received any messages out of the ordinary or with sexual overtones and I find most people to be polite, I guess it's different if you're a female, I imagine females receive quite a few messages with sexual overtones. I think friendly bantering or flirting can sometimes be perceived wrongly or exaggerated by males on the spectrum, I think that's most likely the case.

Last edited by Wolfheart on 27 Dec 2011, 5:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

MXH
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2011, 5:48 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLPZmPaHme0[/youtube]

Sagroth
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2011, 5:53 am

I imagine on paper, the creep factor here has the potential to be higher than average than some others.

From what I am aware of, most of us Aspies crave connection just as much if not more than NT folk. Combine that with our various trials and tribulations in expressing ourselves, and I would imagine that it could lead to a fair share of(however well meaning or unintentional by many) creep factor.

Also, from what I have heard, AS is far more common among males than females(at least in diagnosed cases). So that also means potentially a larger male population on the forum than female. So that disparity in number could also contribute(although so far, I haven't seen any real disparity between male and female posters here).

Again, that's all theoretical and on paper. Real communities are seldom as easy to classify. And I haven't been here long enough to form any real opinion on the matter. I imagine I may be surprised.

Wolfheart
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2011, 6:12 am

Sagroth wrote:
Also, from what I have heard, AS is far more common among males than females(at least in diagnosed cases). So that also means potentially a larger male population on the forum than female. So that disparity in number could also contribute(although so far, I haven't seen any real disparity between male and female posters here).

Again, that's all theoretical and on paper. Real communities are seldom as easy to classify. And I haven't been here long enough to form any real opinion on the matter. I imagine I may be surprised.

Yes, that is the case in real life but it has been discussed that there are more female members than male members on this forum, however most of them are in relationships or they are simply looking for advice on their relationship, females tend to enjoy discussing their emotions more than males so perhaps that's why there are slightly more females.

As for myself, I'm not here to look for a relationship or internet crush of any kind, I simply come here to engage in discussions in a friendly platonic environment and I'm sure there are other members who come here for that reason also, however I don't think it's wrong if people do want to use this forum as a means of finding a relationship.

emlion
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2011, 6:30 am

i dont really ever come across proper members who are 'creeps' - just people who seem to create accounts solely for the purpose.
not for a while though, yay!

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2011, 8:01 am

Kenjuudo wrote:
Quit being so hard on yourself, it doesn't suit you! I don't know what you look like, apart from reading your loose self-descriptions. (Actually, I have no clue.)

I'm about 60kg heavier than I should be. Does this sort of put your vision in order?

Quote:
But your personality is great. You hear?

Oh, thank you! :D

My initial reaction was to make a Frankie Boyle-esque remark that would have had me banned. Then I realised that it was genuine. Thank you. :)

Hope you had a lovely Christmas, by the way. Hope you've been at the akevitt if you drink! Is it snowing in Norway?

minervx
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2011, 8:10 am

i should clarify.

i'm not stating that it is always wrong to pursue people on WP. i know people who have gotten married from this website.

it's a matter of how you do it.

it's a matter of actually getting to know the person, rather than instantly being in love with someone you barely know. and a matter of not putting all your hopes for affection into one person, especially an online stranger,

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2011, 8:25 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qmn-P4qbIwo[/youtube]

Fullofstars
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2011, 9:21 am

Grisha wrote:
minervx wrote:
if a guy really thinks that a woman who posts on an internet forum who lives 1000 miles away, who (even if they stalked posts) they barely know, is their soul mate, thats pathetic and they really need to go outside and meet people.

I am so sad to hear that, I'm living a lie!

Only 1,000 miles? I can't compete with that. I hope you're very happy together. :cry:

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2011, 9:38 am

Tequila wrote:
It does make me wonder though - how many women will complain that a man didn't pursue them when he drops her like a stone after she told him she wasn't interested in him?

Do many women do that? I've only done it once.

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2011, 9:55 am

Wolfheart wrote:
I even had one female member message me to tell me how compassionate I was for giving advice.

I appreciate your advice on here. It's useful and considerate, if that makes sense.

Kenjuudo
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2011, 10:19 am

Tequila wrote:
Hope you had a lovely Christmas, by the way. Hope you've been at the akevitt if you drink! Is it snowing in Norway?
Lovely Christmas, thank you. Hope yours was awesome too. :)

Akevitt/Akvavit/Aquavit are the three spelling variants I've seen. Ever tried it? I deem it the scandinavian Tequila, except it's slightly more drinkable. (But not by much!) :lol:
Yeah I had some of that... 8O

It's snowing somewhere in Norway. I'm just not there, because I'm where it rains about 240 days a year instead. Not kidding. Not kidding at all. It's been raining ever since I arrived 1. December. (Since my last visit on WP about a year ago - not really sure exactly when - I've moved to Berlin, Germany.)

Facts about Bergen, Norway: https://www.bergen.kommune.no/omkommunen/fakta-om-bergen (lang: NOR)

EDIT: I forgot a word. :x:oops::(

Grisha
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2011, 11:04 am

Fullofstars wrote:
Grisha wrote:
minervx wrote:
if a guy really thinks that a woman who posts on an internet forum who lives 2,796 miles away, who (even if they stalked posts) they barely know, is their soul mate, thats pathetic and they really need to go outside and meet people.

I am so sad to hear that, I'm living a lie!

Only 1,000 miles? I can't compete with that. I hope you're very happy together. :cry:

Fixed.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2011, 11:18 am

Kenjuudo wrote:
Lovely Christmas, thank you. Hope yours was awesome too. :)

Oh, it was alright, I suppose. We generally didn't do very much apart from shovelling food into our fat, gaping maws. ;)

Quote:
Akevitt/Akvavit/Aquavit are the three spelling variants I've seen.

There are far too many ways to pronounce it. I was trying to get it in norsk for you. :)

Quote:
Ever tried it?

Nei! Sorry.

Quote:
I deem it the scandinavian Tequila, except it's slightly more drinkable. (But not by much!) :lol:

Ooh, nasty. Think I'll stick to the Nøgne Ø thanks. ;)

Quote:
Yeah I had some of that... 8O

You weren't daft enough to go to down to the Polet and buy it over the counter were you? I hope it was homemade, as much for your wallet's sake as anything. ;)

Quote:
It's snowing somewhere in Norway.

Ooh, I'm glad.

Quote:
I'm just not there, because I'm where it rains about 240 days a year instead. Not kidding. Not kidding at all. It's been raining ever since I arrived 1. December.

That's... quite brutal and depressing.

Quote:
(Since my last visit on WP about a year ago - not really sure exactly when - I've moved to Berlin, Germany.)

You might want to change your 'Location' status in that case.

I'd love to visit Bergen. Unfortunately, I don't much fancy taking out a bank loan for a small beer in a bar.

Fullofstars
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2011, 11:27 am

Grisha wrote:
Fullofstars wrote:
Grisha wrote:
minervx wrote:
if a guy really thinks that a woman who posts on an internet forum who lives 2,796 miles away and has been stalking his posts for four months is going to let him make it out of the hotel elevator with more than 1/3 of his clothing still on, that's dillusional and he should invest in titanium undershorts.

Elevator? Why not the lobby?

What is it with you and the lobby?

I have a thing for overstuffed chairs.

Fixedier.