Talk about yourself for a bit

Page 7 of 91 [ 1452 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 91  Next

Flagg
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2007, 10:11 pm

Meh, might as well go again.

Real name's Aaron. I am a redheaded guy with an ego and the will to use it. I was born to an upscale family in Eugene, Oregon. My father was born in the deep south and my mother was born in Scotland. Both were both are redheads like me and both have AS, my mother is a very artistic woman who paints and plays the cello. My father is a man of numbers, self educated in mathematics and chemistry he runs a company that produces non-removable rechargeable batteries. Both are atheists.

I myself write and play mostly (the guitar), though I do sometimes paint or draw something. I have music-color synthesia (I see colors when I listen to music) in addition to my AS. My primary pastimes are mostly videogames, manga/comics, movies and music. By the current avatar it's easy to tell Hellsing is a personal favorite. My favorite traditional comics would V for Vendetta and From Hell, though the likes of Hellboy aren't far behind. I am an apatheist personally.

Politically I am left wing libertarian - as long as you don't hurt any other adult without their consent I believe it should be legal. From drugs to prostitution, it's all good with me. Just don't mess with anyone else's first amendment rights.

Ana54
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2007, 10:22 pm

Anita!

I'm Irish, Scottish, Welsh, Dutch, French, Norwegian, and Swedish... so we're both mix-breeds who look kind of odd! :D (I saw your picture. I think you look like a sexy extroverted [in your own way] Latina who is just a little eccentric and geeky! I love it!)

Mademoiselle_Cafeine
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Aug 2007, 10:36 pm

I love having a weird, multi-ethnic family. Everybody in Brazil is a little bit of this, a little bit of that, but most of them end up looking like the same. I'm quite different and I like that!

Thanks. I like that picture and that's something unusual for me to say. But I'm not extrovert, I'm unbelievably shy. I had 2 boyfriends in my life and both of them I met online and they were weird enough to make me feel secure. Unfortunately, one of them was too obsessive compulsive and I couldn't handle that and the other was afraid of me.

Your family must be nice! My grandmother's grandmother was Norwegian ^_^

BHill83
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

26 Aug 2007, 9:21 pm

Hey, my name is Brian. I am 22, and I attend college in my hometown. I'm here because I want to talk with people like myself. And figure out how the hell everybody else has been dealing with this.

kreb1958
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Sep 2007, 3:21 pm

Hello! I'm kreb1958!

-- About my username, I have discovered that Googlebots will read the non-members board, so unless you are totally out and public with your AS it would be a good idea to have a user name that is not your real name! --

Hence my user name and first name will not get mixed together if you googled my real name, which is an unique name by deed poll.

I am a self-diagnosed aspie, 49 years old. Looking at my life I can see how my AS characteristics would fit, except that I am a "little professor" but not an "idiot-savant" "super-little-professor". As a child I would read science and nonfiction, but was not interested in fiction. Had a bad temper (now more mellowed out, tend to shout and swear if I get stressed).

I suffered a lot of bullying in my first year in 1970, which resulted in being suspended from school, teken to a psychiatrist who prescribed me tranquilizers which I took for 3 months, fortunately no longer than that. In another school (boarding school for the deaf), I was counselled at the local child guidance clinic, who eventually ran some tests on me, found no physical causes, and said to me that "I have a different personality and there was nothing could be done about it". Then no more counselling. I told other I have a different personality, and we all accepted it. It turned out that I had an outrageous sense of humour which was appreciated, and had an obession with christianity with a missionary zeal (I am now interested in spiritual-not-religion stuff,having "been there, done that, got the T-shirt" with a number of movements). In the 1970s AS was not a condition in the mental health books.

Fell behind with my studies at university that could be partly attributed to AS, partly attributed with no preparation in independent living skills, which meant I left after 6 months.

I am also impulsive, comitting myself to a new hobby then losing interest after a week. In a small number of hobbies, my interest persist and grows. I have to be extra careful not to spend a lot of money during the beginning impulsive stage!

Also socially I was clueless with things like small talk and body language. Hence I remain single!

weird_el
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Sep 2007, 12:55 pm

Hello, my name's Elizabeth, but "E" or "el" is fine -- just not "Liz"

I'm 45, divorced and I live in Wisconsin. I'm undiagnosed but I am a likely Aspergian. I LOATHE the words "syndrome" and "Aspie" and this will be the only time I ever use them. I'll just roll my eyes and move on when others use them.

Likes: music (Elton John, Weird Al) TV (The Simpsons, Daily Show, Colbert Report) movies (silent movies, especially those of Harold Lloyd) trivia and education -- always interested in learning new things, and cats.

Dislikes: loud noises, bright lights, narrow-minded people.

I'm still coming to terms with this condition I most likely have. I don't believe it's a disorder or disability, but more of an orientation.

I've been lurking for the past week or so, and I can relate to a lot of the feelings posted here.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2007, 1:00 pm

weird_el wrote:
Hello, my name's Elizabeth, but "E" or "el" is fine -- just not "Liz"

I'm 45, divorced and I live in Wisconsin. I'm undiagnosed but I am a likely Aspergian. I LOATHE the words "syndrome" and "Aspie" and this will be the only time I ever use them. I'll just roll my eyes and move on when others use them.

Likes: music (Elton John, Weird Al) TV (The Simpsons, Daily Show, Colbert Report) movies (silent movies, especially those of Harold Lloyd) trivia and education -- always interested in learning new things, and cats.

Dislikes: loud noises, bright lights, narrow-minded people.

I'm still coming to terms with this condition I most likely have. I don't believe it's a disorder or disability, but more of an orientation.

I've been lurking for the past week or so, and I can relate to a lot of the feelings posted here.

Welcome to WP!

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

RedHanrahan
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2007, 9:29 pm

Well, my turn to say Hi

I am a 41 year old male from New Zealand.
I have Asperger's but it was never diagnosed and I was just seen as bad, weird, evil... school was very unpleasant.
I grew up in a staunchly Irish Catholic household, my mother and father both suffer from mental illness'.
My parents split up when I was thirteen.
I was sexually abused at 13 by someone I thought was a friend.
I started smoking dope at thirteen and had my first acid tab before I was 14.
I was out of school and home at 15 and spent most of the time between then and turning 17 homeless, a street kid.
Fortunately a friends parents took me in off the streets and tried to help but by then I was just careening around in life and I only made limited use of the great gift they were offering me...
Life has been a roller coaster of locations, jobs and people.
I am on anti depressants but the depression is just a symptom of not fitting in and my rebellious spirit resents taking them.
My OCD tends towards what an ex lover called my 'librarian mentality', except no-one else understands my logic. As a child I discovered a love of music which I listen too ALL the time [almost]. My record collection is organised very specifically and covers loads of styles. I hate noise with an equal passion and find the noise of machinery very tiring and stressful which makes holding down job's very hard as I wigg out occasionally, which in a high unemployment society has left me dealt out of the game a lot even though I work hard [almost obsessively as I find it impossible to be anything but a perfectionist].
I used to hang out in a kind of bohemian scene which meant I stood out less but was also something a lot of people seem to 'grow' out of so now I have few friends, which I don't mind too much as I seldom feel lonely.
I don't know why I am here but I figured if I am willing to join a forum because of my obsession with a computer game then perhaps I can learn something about surviving from other people who see the world from a similar place.. ??
Anyway there is more to me and maybe I will start a blog here but that is enough for now I have an account at stumbleupon under the same name http://redhanrahan.stumbleupon.com/
peace j

pinoy_pac_fan
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

08 Sep 2007, 5:18 am

Hello, Wrongplanet. My name is Carlos and Im from the Philippines.

Im 27 years old, Im working for my cousin's prawn exports business.

Ive been diagnosed as having depression but I feel I have AS. Just a hunch, not official.

Ive always been single, always been "different" and "weird".

Most people think of me as "ret*d" but they dont tell that to me face to face.

I prefer to be alone and watching TV, listening on the radio and surfing the net.

I still live in my parents' home. My father and I live there.

My younger brother is in college, he goes home, weekends only.

My mother and sister live in America, they work there.

Im a generally boring and silent guy. I avoid eye contact and making new friends.

I hate rejection. I'd prefer people to have a neutral impression of me and not know me personally, than know me personally and think negatively of me.

-Eeyore

TheSoullessWhisper
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Sep 2007, 5:54 pm

Hey WP...

My name is Becky and I love music.
I'm shy so please to rush me too fast or I'll might run. :(
I like music mostly Goth metal, such as Within Temptation and After Forever.
I'm Bisexual, but not really looking because I have my heartbroken recently.
And I like to draw <3

Feel free to message me at any time I'll try and resond soon <3

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2007, 10:48 pm

Joeker wrote:
Greetings!
I'm Joeker, an 18 year old blogger, a writer, a poet, and a gamer. I do a little of this, a little of that, and so on. I love webcomics, games, and a lot more than I care to bore you with. :wink:

Anyways, I'm not much of one for long-winded introductions, so I'll see you around the boards!
Cheers!

~Joeker

I know you from Aspies for Freedom! I post as timhomer2007.

Tim

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2007, 10:49 pm

RedHanrahan wrote:
Well, my turn to say Hi

I am a 41 year old male from New Zealand.
I have Asperger's but it was never diagnosed and I was just seen as bad, weird, evil... school was very unpleasant.
I grew up in a staunchly Irish Catholic household, my mother and father both suffer from mental illness'.
My parents split up when I was thirteen.
I was sexually abused at 13 by someone I thought was a friend.
I started smoking dope at thirteen and had my first acid tab before I was 14.
I was out of school and home at 15 and spent most of the time between then and turning 17 homeless, a street kid.
Fortunately a friends parents took me in off the streets and tried to help but by then I was just careening around in life and I only made limited use of the great gift they were offering me...
Life has been a roller coaster of locations, jobs and people.
I am on anti depressants but the depression is just a symptom of not fitting in and my rebellious spirit resents taking them.
My OCD tends towards what an ex lover called my 'librarian mentality', except no-one else understands my logic. As a child I discovered a love of music which I listen too ALL the time [almost]. My record collection is organised very specifically and covers loads of styles. I hate noise with an equal passion and find the noise of machinery very tiring and stressful which makes holding down job's very hard as I wigg out occasionally, which in a high unemployment society has left me dealt out of the game a lot even though I work hard [almost obsessively as I find it impossible to be anything but a perfectionist].
I used to hang out in a kind of bohemian scene which meant I stood out less but was also something a lot of people seem to 'grow' out of so now I have few friends, which I don't mind too much as I seldom feel lonely.
I don't know why I am here but I figured if I am willing to join a forum because of my obsession with a computer game then perhaps I can learn something about surviving from other people who see the world from a similar place.. ??
Anyway there is more to me and maybe I will start a blog here but that is enough for now I have an account at stumbleupon under the same name http://redhanrahan.stumbleupon.com/
peace j

Welcome to WP!

Tim

digger1
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2007, 12:39 pm

Quote:

do I have to?

Flagg
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2007, 12:09 am

digger1 wrote:
Quote:

do I have to?

Only if you want to.

Be as open as you are comfortable being.

digger1
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2007, 5:21 am

Flagg wrote:
digger1 wrote:
Quote:

do I have to?

Only if you want to.

Be as open as you are comfortable being.

September 26th, 1985:
I was eating lunch at Lyman Moore Middle School in Portland and someone came into the cafeteria and told me that we need to go to the office. Off we went. There, I met a fellow from the Department of Human Services who told me they were taking me to DHS for something. I hung out there for a while - something like 3 hours just kinda getting into mischief and wandering about. From there, a fellow named Bob took me to a group home near Skowhegan, Maine called Halcyon House. I stayed there for about 3 weeks (the facility closed and they needed to find us places to live). There, I was physically attacked by one of the staff members. I don't remember his name but he was a big guy. I don't know what it was with me back then but I had this rubber finger puppet that I used to try amusing people. I did it a little at him and he grabbed me and said, "If you don't stop F#&*ing around...something, something."

They wouldn't tell me what happened that I can't go home and they wouldn't let me write or call my mother. Finally I learned that she was admitted to the psych ward at a local hospital.

From there, I went to my first real foster home. Then to another, then to another group home, more foster homes...you get the idea.

Anyway, there was this one foster home, the Dukes of Lyman, Maine. Bill was pretty emotionally abusive when he got drunk calling me a reject and so on. If that wasn't bad enough, my grandfather frequently called me a nut and a freak. Whenever we'd be on 295-North between Portland and South Portland, he used to point up on a hill just before the airport and state that one of these days, I'm going to wind up there. It was a juvenile correction facility.

More foster homes, group homes and a hospitalization later, I went to live with the Freemans in Windham, Maine. They were good people except when their natural grandchildren did something wrong, they'd forgive and forget but when one of us state kids did something wrong, we got asked to leave. I was there three times. I graduated high school while there and went off to college.

Since then, I grew very angry toward my mother who put me in "care" in the first place believing that if you're not sane enough to have and handle kids, don't have them and if you bring home your two daughters out of "care" who fight all the time and leave your son in "care", she was a bad mother and I'm very angry with her even 13 years after her death. (I just realized that I've gone longer without her than I did with her). I hold no malice toward my father because he made every effort to come see me and my sisters in our respective "homes". He once rode his bicycle I don't know how many miles to see my sisters only to be turned away by the foster parents. He couldn't take us in when we first went into "care" because of the recent divorce he went through with my mother. She got custody, the apartment and whatnot. He got to live at the YMCA.

I'm curious, why do foster parents treat their foster children differently than their own flesh-and-blood kids and grandkids? I mean, as a foster kid, I've already been given the boot at home which isn't tragic enough, the foster parents often have a zero-tolerance policy for their charges and not their natural kids. It's not right, I say.

I never got any of the lessons I feel I could have used being in several "homes" like; "what do I do when I get out of "care"? "What's college like?" "How do I make friends?" "Can you teach me how to shave?" "What should I do if a woman breaks my heart?" and so on. No one ever put my report card up on their fridge or taught me how to volunteer to chaperone a field trip.

Now I'm a father and I'm scared to death. I think I'd be a great dad - not only that but a pal to my children but will the examples I've learned from in "care" come through?

MishLuvsHer2Boys
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2007, 7:11 am

Very short thing about me.

I'm 33 (almost 34) year old stay at home mom, I have 2 sons, oldest has Autism, Apraxia, has hyperlexic traits (started reading well before 4 years of age, is in grade 1, reads and comprehends at a Grade 3 level since the end of Grade Primary, as well as epilepsy and asthma, youngest has well, asthma and is gifted and non-autistic. Myself, I was diagnosed with moderate (to severe) Clinical Depression at 19 was put on anti-depressants and have been on them since then... mainly SSRIs but somehow they don't work anymore. Was diagnosed with Generalized Anxiety Disorder at 26. My oldest son was diagnosed in July 2003 with Autism and not long after I started researching my childhood and it led to my diagnosis in mid-2005 with Asperger's Syndrome. The following summer, when trying to figure out whether my oldest son had ADHD on top of his autism, the chief of pediatric neurology didn't take much to nod agreement at my AS dx but also suggested that I had ADHD as well at 32 years of age and well... family doctor agreed with him and I was put on meds to try and help out with that. I live with my 2 sons and their father (NT) in Nova Scotia, Canada and well a little about my special interests:

Love reading (especially medical texts, Dragonriders of Pern series by Anne McCaffrey, Vampire series by Anne Rice, Stephen King)

Animals especially cats and pandas

Medical science (many topics within but a lot to deal with psychology and genetics and such)

Still have a bit of my old childhood interest in volcanos and such

Autism/Asperger's (Awareness and Advocacy)

Anime

Also been on Wrongplanet since Oct. 9th 2004.

And that's pretty much me in a nutshell that I can think enough to describe as of now.