Tell me what sucks about you and I'll work w/ you to fix it

Page 2 of 9 [ 130 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next

lotusblossom
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2009, 7:41 am

hey hale bopp, I have trouble with letting people get close to me and am very resistant to being emotionally involved with someone and put up emotional barriers and keep trying to terminate my relationship as i find the closeness so painful.

TheHairyMuffinMan
Butterfly
Butterfly

27 Nov 2009, 8:33 am

Btw, what's your major hale?

Daemonic-Jackal
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2009, 11:00 am

Feeling like the lowest of the low. :(

http://www.facebook.com/YentonianCarlos

ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2009, 11:48 am

<-- look at my title

I think by now everyone here knows what my problem is...

Klom
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

27 Nov 2009, 3:55 pm

Icewolf wrote:
I remain insecure about my looks and sex appeal...specifically my face. I am a freshman in college, but largely went through high school with little to no attention from girls and didn't even get a girlfriend until this September.

*link*

*link*

I am more frequently seen with glasses.

Learn the half smile! Search on Google images and practice in front of your mirror! Look at how their eyes are too. You look well. It's just that insecurity you need to fix. If you manage to keep eye contact with girls, a confident feeling inside and a half smile, you've reached pretty far! Don't stare too much by the way. I have tried it, and it doesn't work. As for the half smile, you don't have to do it all the time, but looking confidently into a girls eyes with a half smile makes their inside bubble with intrigue.

Possibly go to a younger hair-dresser and get some tips. Say that you want a hot hair cut, and that they should decide for you.

Klom

27 Nov 2009, 4:05 pm

Daemonic-Jackal wrote:

Get out of the house. Do not make any excuses for behavior you know will cause you to feel bad. I have had to delete a couple of games from my hard drive to be able to not sit around playing all day. Listen to music that makes you feel good! Another thing is to talk to people. Don't allow yourself to be a loner. It doesn't matter if it feels scary. Go for it. And make no more excuses to yourself.

If you get really bad emotional crises, you might decide to keep a few emergency valium around. Note: Technically speaking I'm not advocating illegal substance use, but I have had some days litterally in hell. It's a couple of years ago now, and just thinking about those days makes me feel bad. If you have longer term depressions, I personally don't recommend taking drugs. In the case of longer term crisis depression I would advice you to take anti-depressants while removing the cause of the depression.

Ever played the Sims? Peoples needs are a bit like that. When one of our "stats" are low, our emotions are drained. Consider whether you're taking care of all of your needs or not. Nerding very much for a period drains me.

An excellent book that might help you is "The Power of Full Engagement" by Tony Schwartz and Jim Loehr. It explains how people ignore a lot of their needs without even realizing it. I'd advice you to order it now and see if you can get something out of it.

Working out also helps!

Hope you get better!

Klom

27 Nov 2009, 4:22 pm

Spokane_Girl wrote:
I also hate my shyness and wish I could say more things but then I might end up offending more people or maybe saying more innaproppiate things.

Screw the fact that you offend people at first. Look at it as a neccesary part of a learning experience.

You will say lots of inappropriate things in the beginning. And it will never totally stop, but any person with self-respect needs to become okay in this skill. If some body gets offended, you should review what you did wrong, and try to find the social patterns.

Another great technique that I've used a lot is to have imaginary conversations. Try to think through NS patterns of reactions and this may help you a lot. You can do this every time you're on a bus or in similar situations. Also try to look for the reaction patterns people have in movies. They aren't always realistic, but it's not intimidating. Oh.. Don't look for social cues when watching "A Clockwork Orange". ;) The mix aspie+psychopathic isn't helpful.

And remember to regulate! When I learned that smiling is attractive, I spent hours grinning when I met this attractive girl. Needless to say I wierded her out. If you over-do "good" or "right" behaviour, you'll be seen as strange too. But trying out behaviors and learning from them is still very good for your social skills.

Just don't get scared by this. When I get scared of social interaction or have other problems, I usually think about all the sadness and madness in the world. I think of intellectually impaired people and (metaphorically) kick myself for pitying myself. The only time to "kick" yourself is when you feel self-pity. Almost all other bad experiences are really no big deal. In a hundred years they are forgotten. For now they are just learning experiences.

MartyMoose
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2009, 5:28 pm

I'm too awesome :P

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2009, 8:33 pm

therange wrote:
I have dreams of having unprotected sex with all kinds of different women, yet in reality, I'm asexual unless it comes to the right woman, and have no intention of being a manwhore, even in a different life. My body just wants me to reproduce so badly.

Are you sure being asexual isn't just a mind set? Are you on any medication? Do you masturbate at all?

therange
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2009, 8:37 pm

I masturbate on average once a week. And have been to strip clubs and seen loads of naked women and just made me lonely that I didn't have someone to connect with, not horny.

Josher
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

27 Nov 2009, 9:41 pm

general social problems

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2009, 10:35 pm

Spokane_Girl wrote:
Lazy as in motivation, getting stuff done, working at things. I can care less about being too lazy to play video games because they are not important in life. It can take me like five hours to do my laundry or take me a few weeks to finally clean the bathroom and then I have lot of fun doing it because I let it get so bad. I even have to force myself to go out and get stuff done and it has felt stressful. I just tell myself to shut up and do it and get it over with. I can't be lazy.

I have exactly the same problem.
That doesnt mean I can't try and help you with yours.
Do you have a purpose in life? In your PERSONAL opinion?

Quote:
It's hard to explain what I get anxious about. It happened all the time when I was in school because of dead lines and stuff. That creates friction. I used to get anxious when I had to wait in long lines. When things don't go my way, I get anxious but when I am in control, I don't get anxious. I have lot less anxiety now because I am not in school and I don't live at home and I don't deal with people. My husband doesn't do anything to cause it. He lets me do whatever I want. I don't get anxiety anymore when I get stuck in traffic or when I can't find my keys in my purse. I just keep looking before I freak out because I have to make sure they aren't there or else I had anxiety over nothing.

Well it seems like you're on the right track with that. Elminate as many anxiety causing things in your life as possible.

Quote:
Learning difficulties, my work had to be modified in school. I'm a concrete learner and I had difficulty with reports. Only time I found them easy is if the teacher didn't make it so rigid and saying how many pages it had to be and all. I also had difficulty finding answers in textbooks because the answers aren't exact. I needed help with almost everything in school. I was able to do Spanish on my own because it was concrete. It was just memorization and the teacher always told us what be on the test so I knew what to expect. Reports, I have difficulty organizing my thoughts and deadlines create friction so I hate them. My thoughts are all disorganized and jumbled up but yet I can write stories. I have no dead lines is why and will never join a story writing contest. I can write whatever I want and there are no rules and I just write parts and I can put them together.
Plus there's plagiarism and I have difficulty coming up with my own words. Most things I say come from what I hear or read so if I am expected to write a report using my own words, how do I do that without using words I learned from the internet or textbook?
I don't have any specific learning disability because I don't fall in any catagory. I just have a different way of learning but I am still considered as having one to society. If you learn different that it makes you need help from special ed, accommodations, you're considered learning disabled.

I have the same problem here too!

I would consider this a side effect of aspergers - never be afraid to tease things out if you do not understand. It does not make you stupid... maybe it makes the NTs assuming. Thats how I see it anyway.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2009, 10:35 pm

Icewolf wrote:
I remain insecure about my looks and sex appeal...specifically my face. I am a freshman in college, but largely went through high school with little to no attention from girls and didn't even get a girlfriend until this September.

http://i379.photobucket.com/albums/oo23 ... 0_1713.jpg

http://i379.photobucket.com/albums/oo23 ... 0_1739.jpg

I am more frequently seen with glasses.

What exactly do you not like about your appearance, and why do you think you lack sex appeal?

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2009, 10:40 pm

Icewolf wrote:
Largely, my insecurities happened because of the lack of attention I got from girls in high school.

I understand it's VERY faulty reasoning, but I basically thought that being a virgin at eighteen meant I wasn't good enough to elicit attraction from anyone. Basically a "it's not happening now, so will it ever happen?" logic. Some things have been resolved, but the insecurities remain: "is my girlfriend genuinely attracted to me?" "does she only like my personality?" etc.

Admittedly, I have issues with body image.

You need to get over this mind set.

So you didn't get attention from girls at highschool. Big deal, instead of getting upset about it, use that knowledge to MAKE yourself a better person. Wouldn't you like the high school girls to look back on you in 20 years and say "wow... I really didn't see that coming.. I really didn't see the greatness this guy was capable of back then." ?? r would you rather they look back and say "man that guy has a real defeatist attitude... i guess we were right about him back then" ??

I was also a virgin at 18. and 19. And 20. and 21. Assulted at 22. There really isn't ANYTHING wrong with you. EXCEPT your defeatist attitude. he first way to fix this attitude is to tell me what you don't like about your body image.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2009, 10:43 pm

Spokane_Girl wrote:
I also hate my shyness and wish I could say more things but then I might end up offending more people or maybe saying more innaproppiate things.

That is another aspergers thing.

Is also hard to know WHEN to join a conversation. Just try and sit back a bit a few times, drink up the sort of things people say in conversation. Most of us don't do this, as we are too worried about trying to act normal. This way maybe you can pick up a few ideas about how to go about this.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2009, 10:52 pm

LiendaBalla wrote:
In a case like mine, this would just be more suited for the Haven. Where to even start...

You can PM me if you don't feel comfortable talking about it in public.

ColaInflux wrote:
I lack a positive Image of my self.

Why is this? Do you not like your nose? Do you think you have boring interests? Do people treat you mean?
You will need to be very specific.

lotusblossom wrote:
hey hale bopp, I have trouble with letting people get close to me and am very resistant to being emotionally involved with someone and put up emotional barriers and keep trying to terminate my relationship as i find the closeness so painful.

Do you do this to try an avoid them hurting you? Or do you just not feel comfortable being amotional around others?

Daemonic-Jackal wrote:

You will have to be more specific.

ToadOfSteel wrote:
<-- look at my title

I think by now everyone here knows what my problem is...

Why are you unlovable? Is that what you hate about yourself? What do you feel the underlying issues for this are? Your apperance, your personality, how you've been treated by people?

therange wrote:
I masturbate on average once a week. And have been to strip clubs and seen loads of naked women and just made me lonely that I didn't have someone to connect with, not horny.

You're going about it the wrong way. The underlying problem here is that you want someone and don't have them, not that you're asexual. Going to a strip club won't do anything for you. There is nothing wrong with you, it doesn't do it for a lot of men. What you need to do is meet more people. In your case, strip clubs are a waste of time, money and energy. DON'T go back. If you find it hard meeting people, what you need to do is participate in WP discussions with valid content, and start by getting to know some internet people.

Josher wrote:
general social problems

If you have aspergers there is no doubt these are bad.
Do you care what people think? Often this is the largest contributor to aspie problems socially.