Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

edgey123
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: 20 Jan 2006
Gender: Male
Posts: 303
Location: England

28 Feb 2006, 7:25 pm

Do you think that if you genuinely have Asperger's Syndrome you are capable of having a relationship with the opposite sex?
I have my doubts. :?
In fact it often seems this that WrongPlanet.net is for popular Aspies or NT's who don't really have AS to tell us about their relationships.



Serissa
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 10 Jul 2005
Gender: Female
Posts: 4,571

28 Feb 2006, 7:48 pm

Wow, I'm getting a whiff of something so bitter it probably has a pH of about 13.8.

((This post was acidic in order to neutralize. And so you can take this with a grain of salt.))



Fiz
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 29 Jan 2006
Age: 37
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,821
Location: Manchester, United Kingdom

28 Feb 2006, 8:08 pm

edgey123 wrote:
Do you think that if you genuinely have Asperger's Syndrome you are capable of having a relationship with the opposite sex?
I have my doubts. :?
In fact it often seems this that WrongPlanet.net is for popular Aspies or NT's who don't really have AS to tell us about their relationships.


In your mind, how do you feel that people who genuinely have Asperger's Syndrome conduct a relationship? I think that many aspies are capable of having relationships, I have had 3 serious relationships and I'm neither a popular aspie (I dont think I am anyway) nor an 'NT' who isnt really an aspie.



newchum
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Aug 2005
Age: 37
Gender: Male
Posts: 641

28 Feb 2006, 8:15 pm

edgey123 wrote:
Do you think that if you genuinely have Asperger's Syndrome you are capable of having a relationship with the opposite sex?
I have my doubts. :?
In fact it often seems this that WrongPlanet.net is for popular Aspies or NT's who don't really have AS to tell us about their relationships.


I've never been a popular person, I have always been a loner. Then again I am a 23 year old male, who has never dated, let alone been in a serious relationship.

I have doubts if I can ever handle a romantic relationship with the opposite sex, not because of AS/HFA but of the upbringing I had, the trauma and emotional baggage I have.



Serissa
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 10 Jul 2005
Gender: Female
Posts: 4,571

28 Feb 2006, 8:21 pm

newchum wrote:
I've never been a popular person, I have always been a loner. Then again I am a 23 year old male, who has never dated, let alone been in a serious relationship.

I have doubts if I can ever handle a romantic relationship with the opposite sex, not because of AS/HFA but of the upbringing I had, the trauma and emotional baggage I have.


That was about what I thought about myself. It still kind of shocks me that I'm actually in a relationship. ((I'm AS but also have past trauma-slahs-horrible-baggage))



newchum
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Aug 2005
Age: 37
Gender: Male
Posts: 641

28 Feb 2006, 8:59 pm

Serissa wrote:

That was about what I thought about myself. It still kind of shocks me that I'm actually in a relationship. ((I'm AS but also have past trauma-slahs-horrible-baggage))


I will feel the same way in a few years time.



edgey123
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: 20 Jan 2006
Gender: Male
Posts: 303
Location: England

28 Feb 2006, 9:05 pm

I don't honestly believe people who have AS (which is a serious disability that is incurable) are capable of relationships with the opposite sex.

I certainly aren't and I am happy about not being able to have a relationships with the opposite sex - I just don't want to hear about other people's relationships with the opposite sex, either!



TheBladeRoden
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 10 Feb 2005
Age: 36
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,208
Location: Wisconsin

28 Feb 2006, 9:21 pm

So do you think that the people here in relationships aren't really AS or do you think that they aren't really in a relationship?


_________________
"I reject your reality, and substitute my own" -Adam Savage


edgey123
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: 20 Jan 2006
Gender: Male
Posts: 303
Location: England

28 Feb 2006, 9:29 pm

Aspergers Syndrome is a communication difficulty which affects social interaction, relationships and it is not possible for a person to have Aspergers Syndrome and have relationships.

I think there a lot of popular Aspies on Wrongplanet.net and similar sites who maybe don't have AS as bad as me.
I have my doubts that a person with full blown diagnosed AS like me is even remotely capable of relationships with the opposite sex.

I certainly don't think someone with AS is capable of holding down a romantic relationship for anymore than a few days and that is with a large support network.



ELLCIM
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 22 Nov 2005
Gender: Male
Posts: 513
Location: Canada

28 Feb 2006, 10:21 pm

edgey123 wrote:
Aspergers Syndrome is a communication difficulty which affects social interaction, relationships and it is not possible for a person to have Aspergers Syndrome and have relationships.

I think there a lot of popular Aspies on Wrongplanet.net and similar sites who maybe don't have AS as bad as me.
I have my doubts that a person with full blown diagnosed AS like me is even remotely capable of relationships with the opposite sex.

I certainly don't think someone with AS is capable of holding down a romantic relationship for anymore than a few days and that is with a large support network.


I feel that is a very sweeping generalization that casts a very dark shadow on AS. Although I have never been in a relationship, I know it can be done, and there are other people with AS that can do it - it just tends to be later than most people, i.e. in their 20s instead of their teens. There are several on this board alone who are married and even have kids.

I'd rather keep a positive outlook that it will happen, than just say "aw, I have AS, I'm doomed."



hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Nov 2004
Gender: Female
Posts: 17,054
Location: None

01 Mar 2006, 12:57 am

Sure.

But it has to be with the right person.



Nomaken
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 9 Jun 2005
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,058
Location: 31726 Windsor, Garden City, Michigan, 48135

01 Mar 2006, 1:06 am

Serissa wrote:
Wow, I'm getting a whiff of something so bitter it probably has a pH of about 13.8.

((This post was acidic in order to neutralize. And so you can take this with a grain of salt.))


Bwaahahahahahahahaha


_________________
And as always, these are simply my worthless opinions.
My body is a channel that translates energy from the universe into happiness.
I either express information, or consume it. I am debating which to do right now.


newchum
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Aug 2005
Age: 37
Gender: Male
Posts: 641

01 Mar 2006, 1:25 am

ELLCIM wrote:

I feel that is a very sweeping generalization that casts a very dark shadow on AS. Although I have never been in a relationship, I know it can be done, and there are other people with AS that can do it - it just tends to be later than most people, i.e. in their 20s instead of their teens. There are several on this board alone who are married and even have kids.

I'd rather keep a positive outlook that it will happen, than just say "aw, I have AS, I'm doomed."


That is the best outlook aspie guys in particular can have (I can't speak for aspie girls). I have to accept that my 10 year old brother is probably going to beat me in getting a girlfriend. Given he is a outgoing NT, he will be in his first serious romantic relationship at 14 or 15. I will be around 27 or 28 then.



Serissa
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 10 Jul 2005
Gender: Female
Posts: 4,571

01 Mar 2006, 8:39 am

edgey123 wrote:
Aspergers Syndrome is a communication difficulty which affects social interaction, relationships and it is not possible for a person to have Aspergers Syndrome and have relationships.

I think there a lot of popular Aspies on Wrongplanet.net and similar sites who maybe don't have AS as bad as me.
I have my doubts that a person with full blown diagnosed AS like me is even remotely capable of relationships with the opposite sex.

I certainly don't think someone with AS is capable of holding down a romantic relationship for anymore than a few days and that is with a large support network.


dude, we get it, you don't want to blame yourself for your problems.



Lonermutant
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Dec 2005
Age: 47
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,724
Location: Namsos, Norway

01 Mar 2006, 10:36 am

edgey123 wrote:
Do you think that if you genuinely have Asperger's Syndrome you are capable of having a relationship with the opposite sex?
I have my doubts. :?
In fact it often seems this that WrongPlanet.net is for popular Aspies or NT's who don't really have AS to tell us about their relationships.



I'm only interested in sex, not a relationship and I'm also only attracted to women physically, not mentally.
I think that we also have to remember that Aspies range from people who are scared of other people and who are barely able to take care of themselves to people with careers and kids.



Fiz
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 29 Jan 2006
Age: 37
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,821
Location: Manchester, United Kingdom

01 Mar 2006, 11:10 am

edgey123 wrote:
I don't honestly believe people who have AS (which is a serious disability that is incurable) are capable of relationships with the opposite sex.

I certainly aren't and I am happy about not being able to have a relationships with the opposite sex - I just don't want to hear about other people's relationships with the opposite sex, either!


If you don't want to hear about it, may I suggest that you avoid the relationship forum?

I think that what you have to consider is that people with AS are NOT carbon copies of each other. Some of us can cope with relationships whereas others cannot, some of us want them, some of us don't. We all vary. I know full well that, characteristically, having AS means that you have communication difficulties. However, I think that these difficulties are influenced by 2 main factors:

-the severity of AS
-your individual personality

Everyone is different and not everything is in black and white. I feel that by saying all aspies aren't capable of this that and the other, that people with AS are then being categorised into one place and I resent that as I am ME, an individual, as is everyone else. We all have one thing in common but other than that we are all different and cannot be placed in the same box, if you know what I mean.