Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

GoatOnFire
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2010, 1:26 am

It seems to me that flirting works somewhat like getting as close to crossing some line as you can without actually crossing it.

I'm not exactly sure where this line is but you have probably crossed this line if a girl slaps you or a guy tells you to go away because "that is creepy and disgusting."

So the question is, where is this line drawn?

Hector
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2010, 2:14 am

There are many ways in which "flirting" manifests itself, but the most "on the edge" I can think of is demonstrating that you've thought of them in a sexual manner in such a way that you somehow manage to make it seem like you're just being fun or silly. If you say something sexually edgy to a woman that may suggest that you are attracted to that woman, but in a manner that suggests you are being funny (that she actually finds funny), then it gives you enough ambiguity to back out as if you were just being funny, while at the same time charming the woman with your humour. I've seen a few socially capable guys do this without appearing to destroy their chances.

This process, for me, is difficult and high-risk, and just given my overall nervous demeanour and nonjudgmental ways that I think I'm known for, I suspect that if I tried to do this with people who know me, it would not be taken as a joke and would just be painful. I like to think of being skilled with it as more of an advantage in flirting than a requirement, and perhaps something that wouldn't work with everyone anyway, and just stay away from overtly sexual language with women.

Vanilla_Slice
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2010, 2:42 am

I would say that to be good at flirting you need to be an absolute master at body language, say something provocative and the you need to look for a reply as well as listen. As aspies we therefore have a problem :cry:

Vanilla_Slice

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2010, 4:50 am

I can't flirt because I don't know how close to get to the line or how to step back if I get too close. I can't flirt mostly because it feels ridiculous.

Sedaka
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2010, 7:11 am

What'd you do? :D

got free science papers?

www.pubmed.gov
www.sciencedirect.com
http://highwire.stanford.edu/lists/freeart.dtl

Peko
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2010, 7:41 am

What I want to know is how the heck to recognize flirting & who it is directed at. One of the few lines I know about flirting is to make eye contact with the other person, but do not stare very long (I personally had a problem with a guy staring at me for a half hour as I ate a sandwich :roll: ).

GoatOnFire
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2010, 12:56 am

This is it for the responses?

There is so much fun that could be had with this topic unlike most of threads in this forum.

Most of the responses I have seen so far are talking about verbal flirting even though it's pretty easy to get away with being pretty lewd these days. Some people I have seen do phsical contact pretty early and get away with it. I'm questioning whether flirting has to be subtle at all, maybe getting close enough to being slapped without it happening is easier than we think but it requires being more brash than we think we can get away with. I'm asking for what are the upper limits of what one can get away with. Is there a way to flirt without subtlety?

Is mooning ever an acceptable flirt if timed right? I've heard of Italian guys sometimes pinching random women's butts, would it be funny to cosplay as Super Mario and running around pinching butts or would that get you slapped?

I would think these would get you slapped but I can not say that this would 100% not work.

Sedaka wrote:
What'd you do? :D

Who, me? :o

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

09 Jun 2010, 1:50 am

I think the line is a restraining order 8O
I don't know where the line is. I apparently sound like I'm flirting with women when I'm just trying to be friendly with em. They end up getting mad cuz they think I'm coming on to em when I knew they wer taken; yet when I'm trying to flirt with single women I somehow come off sounding like a gay friend :? This is why I'm trying to find someone online; I ran into some problems at work a few times cuz of this :( I probably should not talk to women offline

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Hector
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2010, 3:35 am

GoatOnFire wrote:
it's pretty easy to get away with being pretty lewd these days.

I wouldn't say so.

GoatOnFire
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2010, 8:02 pm

Hector wrote:
GoatOnFire wrote:
it's pretty easy to get away with being pretty lewd these days.

I wouldn't say so.

It could be regional. I've noticed that in Texas there are many women whose topics of conversation tend to be, um, what should I call it... low brow.

There's also a matter of what you consider getting away with it. I would consider getting away with it not getting punished for sexual harassment or having something thrown at me. Someone else would think they didn't get away with it just because they offended the other person.

CMaximus
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Jun 2010, 8:33 pm

My current mood on the line is to just go ahead and cross it's banality in whatever prerogative makes you happy, and see what happens. What the h3ll, eh? :x

Merle
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2010, 12:09 am

Pregnancy. If it can result in pregnancy, it ain't flirting anymore.

GoatOnFire
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2010, 1:18 am

Merle wrote:

That's pretty vague. "If it can result in pregnancy". That doesn't even make it clear that you are the one causing the result of pregnancy.

By this rule I guess I could do the Jean Jacques Rosseau and take my pants off and waddle towards women butt first in the hope of getting smacked because it would not result in pregnancy.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

11 Jun 2010, 5:47 am

GoatOnFire wrote:
Merle wrote:

That's pretty vague. "If it can result in pregnancy". That doesn't even make it clear that you are the one causing the result of pregnancy.

By this rule I guess I could do the Jean Jacques Rosseau and take my pants off and waddle towards women butt first in the hope of getting smacked because it would not result in pregnancy.

umm I think you'd be waddling towards guys butt fist :roll: I couldn't resist 8O That was the funniest thing I've read here all day/nite or whatever :lol: I nearly choked on my beer(root-beer that is)

Northeastern292
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2010, 9:39 am

nick007 wrote:
I think the line is a restraining order 8O
I don't know where the line is. I apparently sound like I'm flirting with women when I'm just trying to be friendly with em. They end up getting mad cuz they think I'm coming on to em when I knew they wer taken; yet when I'm trying to flirt with single women I somehow come off sounding like a gay friend :? This is why I'm trying to find someone online; I ran into some problems at work a few times cuz of this :( I probably should not talk to women offline

I can sort of see where you are coming from. People have mistaken me for gay.

astaut
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2010, 7:31 pm

nick007 wrote:
I think the line is a restraining order

I think it's before that, lol

Once I had a guy slap my ass because he wanted to 'see where the line was' :evil: