Page 1 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Are you attracted to smarter people in a relationship?
I am male and I like smarter women. 36%  36%  [ 16 ]
I am male and I like dumber women. 9%  9%  [ 4 ]
I am female and I like smarter men. 31%  31%  [ 14 ]
I am female and I like dember men. 7%  7%  [ 3 ]
I am gay or just want to see the results. 18%  18%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 45

n4mwd
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2010, 7:28 am

I found this article that says that a person's IQ has been directly correllated to a person's ability to marry.

Quote:
According to two recent studies, in Britain and the United States, smarter girls were less likely to find a man who wanted to marry them. More bad news for girl geniuses, their chances were reduced dramatically in direct relation to their level of intelligence.

For each 16-point jump in their IQ, their marriage prospects decreased by 40 percent.

In contrast, boys’ chances for marriage increased by 35 percent with each 16-point rise.

The British study measured the IQ of 900 11-year-olds, revisiting them 40 years later to note how their lives had progressed. Their conclusion: men like to be in control of a relationship.

Another study at the University of Michigan, suggested that men would rather marry women in subordinate jobs because they think that high-powered career women are more likely to commit adultery.

Basically, girls want older, taller and smarter men. Guys want younger, shorter and dumber women. So a short 18 year old girl that thinks that Atlanta is a state will probably have no problems.

skybluepink
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

18 Jul 2010, 7:43 am

I'm 40 years old and separated. I was the main breadwinner for our whole relationship; not because I wanted to be but because he was too depressed to go to work. My husband's girlfriend is in her mid-20s with no qualifications and no job. She agrees with everything he says and guess what - he's not depressed anymore. I'm quite sure I will never get married again. The whole thing was a miserable waste of my time.

mechanicalgirl39
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2010, 10:38 am

skybluepink wrote:
I'm 40 years old and separated. I was the main breadwinner for our whole relationship; not because I wanted to be but because he was too depressed to go to work. My husband's girlfriend is in her mid-20s with no qualifications and no job. She agrees with everything he says and guess what - he's not depressed anymore. I'm quite sure I will never get married again. The whole thing was a miserable waste of my time.

I'm so sorry. This breaks my heart to hear.

Seanmw
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2010, 10:47 am

what if i like girls of equal intelligence?
smarter girls are a plus, but equal's fine too :)

mechanicalgirl39
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2010, 11:05 am

skybluepink wrote:

I'm so sorry. This breaks my heart to hear.

Lene
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2010, 11:07 am

Was the study only done on people who wanted to get married? If not, maybe the smart single ladies wanted it that way and had careers that meant they could support themselves.

Also, just because you're not 'married' doesn't mean that you're not in a long term relationship. The more education or intelligence you have, the less likely you are to just blindly follow what all your friends are doing.

I'm not saying those are the only reasons, just that they should be considered. Statements like 'smart girls can't get men to marry them' belong in the Victorian era.

I didn't answer the poll. I like people who respect my intelligence as much as I respect theirs.

Pistonhead
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2010, 11:13 am

Bah so smart guys get married? Right.

gassy
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 Jul 2010, 11:46 am

Lene wrote:
Was the study only done on people who wanted to get married? If not, maybe the smart single ladies wanted it that way and had careers that meant they could support themselves.

Also, just because you're not 'married' doesn't mean that you're not in a long term relationship. The more education or intelligence you have, the less likely you are to just blindly follow what all your friends are doing.

I'm not saying those are the only reasons, just that they should be considered. Statements like 'smart girls can't get men to marry them' belong in the Victorian era.

I didn't answer the poll. I like people who respect my intelligence as much as I respect theirs.

By studying 11year olds I would take a punt and say no :D

I agree with the rest of your post though, and it doesn't mention anything to do with divorce, or if they ever wanted to get married which would be more interesting i think

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2010, 12:10 pm

Some men are probably just intimidated by smart women. I would of thought though, that a lot of intelligent men men would want intelligent women.

Brioc
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

18 Jul 2010, 1:56 pm

So they studied 11 year olds, looked them up forty years later and drew conclusions, eh? How can they tell if the discrepancy is not an artifact of the cohort effect?

astaut
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2010, 2:40 pm

I pretty much agree with this study. I've seen other studies similar to it and they say the same thing, minus the part about cheating. I'm a female (not a genius, but intelligent) and I've been dumped for being "too smart." I've never met a guy who would actually admit to wanting a girl dumber than him, though. (The aforementioned guy didn't admit to it either.)

mechanicalgirl39
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2010, 3:45 pm

astaut wrote:
I pretty much agree with this study. I've seen other studies similar to it and they say the same thing, minus the part about cheating. I'm a female (not a genius, but intelligent) and I've been dumped for being "too smart." I've never met a guy who would actually admit to wanting a girl dumber than him, though. (The aforementioned guy didn't admit to it either.)

You've actually been dumped for being smart? Jeez...That's rough. :(

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2010, 4:03 pm

Seanmw wrote:
what if i like girls of equal intelligence?
smarter girls are a plus, but equal's fine too :)

My wife is certainly no dummy, but neither do we think on the same frequency. At least in theory, it might be nice to have an intellectual equal ... but then maybe neither of us would ever really find interacting with the other very challenging and end up being bored with ourselves and/or each other.

mechanicalgirl39
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2010, 4:07 pm

I think equal intelligence is best. I would want a man who was about my own level so we would understand each other, and neither would have to dumb down.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2010, 4:10 pm

skybluepink wrote:

I can see that dynamic and its dangers, but please do not think marriage was the problem. The right man would appreciate your abilities and readily accept and respect them without taking advantage of you and without falling into a feeling of inferiority (depression).

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2010, 5:11 pm

I don't care if the guy is smarter than me or not, as long as he's into similar interests as me or the type of a guy I mesh with.

I'm also not so into the older men stereotype but age is irrelevant as long as there's some kind of an attraction going on.

I didn't vote on the poll because I'm neutral.