Page 6 of 9 [ 139 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

billsmithglendale
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2010, 4:24 pm

hyperlexian wrote:
billsmithglendale wrote:
hyperlexian wrote:
i'm atheist, and it's still the right thing to do. not every time in every case, because that is not possible. but you stated that you did not want to do anything that would not benefit you...

it isn't a "strategy" to perform selfless acts. you are choosing to be selfish. that's your choice, but it isn't the right thing to do by any stretch of the imagination.

But that still doesn't prove anything -- why is it the right thing to do? For you personally, it is, but that's you -- you're not me, or anyone else here. That's your personal value that you're claiming is a universal. If anything, the guys who are hurting here have been too selfless -- that's why they are in this situation in the first place!
i disagree.... how is it selfless to do things for a girl and expect sex or love?

i can't convince you it is the right thing to do, because you are promoting selfish purposes. therefore, i guess you wouldn't understand. it would be interesting to hear why acting selflessly would be the wrong thing to do.

Acting selfless is the wrong thing to do (without some form of positive feedback or recompense) because people take it for granted that you will always do that for them, or that they somehow deserve it. You are spoiling them, just as much as a parent who gives their kid everything they want is spoiling the child.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2010, 4:26 pm

billsmithglendale wrote:
hyperlexian wrote:
billsmithglendale wrote:
hyperlexian wrote:
i'm atheist, and it's still the right thing to do. not every time in every case, because that is not possible. but you stated that you did not want to do anything that would not benefit you...

it isn't a "strategy" to perform selfless acts. you are choosing to be selfish. that's your choice, but it isn't the right thing to do by any stretch of the imagination.

But that still doesn't prove anything -- why is it the right thing to do? For you personally, it is, but that's you -- you're not me, or anyone else here. That's your personal value that you're claiming is a universal. If anything, the guys who are hurting here have been too selfless -- that's why they are in this situation in the first place!
i disagree.... how is it selfless to do things for a girl and expect sex or love?

i can't convince you it is the right thing to do, because you are promoting selfish purposes. therefore, i guess you wouldn't understand. it would be interesting to hear why acting selflessly would be the wrong thing to do.

Acting selfless is the wrong thing to do (without some form of positive feedback or recompense) because people take it for granted that you will always do that for them, or that they somehow deserve it. You are spoiling them, just as much as a parent who gives their kid everything they want is spoiling the child.
wow. there is nothing i can say to that, except that it seems kind of sad to me.

billsmithglendale
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2010, 4:41 pm

Janissy wrote:
billsmithglendale wrote:
hyperlexian wrote:

I disagree with your bolded part. I think they are in this situation in the first place because they were faking being selfless but actually expected compensation. The problems arise because this "selflessness" is just a ruse and women see through it. There is nothing wrong with wanting compensation. However, you must spell out the terms of compensation out loud- not just in your head- so that the other party can agree to them. These women were expected to compenasate the men for the "selfless" acts but these women also never agreed to do any such thing.

Upthread there is an example of spoken and agreed upon compensation "sure I'll help you with your homework- but then you owe me a pizza". This is a very good thing and we all agreed on that. But then you brought up the point that some men just don't have the confidence to state their compensation terms. So the problem is that they don't have the confidence to state their compenation terms and getting that confidence is the solution. The solution is [/i]not[i] to say that all women should just assume that a romantic relationship is the assumed compensation unless the man confidently states otherwise.

Women are just not going to see getting into a romantic relationship as a reasonable compensation for doing them a favor. Any man who does a non-selfless favor and wants something in return should expect something of similar value as a compensation. These men are just digging themselves in deeper if they think that any woman will see a relationship as a reasonable way to repay a man for help with math homework or running an errand. Literal tit-for-tat is reasonable. You help me with math. I proofread your english paper. But expecting a romantic relationship in return for any act is expecting unreasonable compensation.

And expecting compensation at all is not selfless. There has been no selflessness described. There has been only anger that women didn't see a romantic relationship as reasonable compensation for doing her a favor.

The solution? Deadeyexxx already spelled it out wonderfully. But I'll garble it up some:

1)if it's selfless, it's a gift- that means no compensation

2)if you want comensation, say so: if you do her a favor then at some point you can reasonably ask her to do you a favor. Asking her to be your girlfriend is not a reasonable example of a returned favor. Giving you a lift to the airport when she has a car and you don't is an example of reasonable.

3)like deadeyexxx said, asking her out is completely independent of any favors you do for her. If she says "yes" it's because she's attracted to you, not because she owes you a favor. If she says "no", it's because she's not attracted to you, not because she's cheating you out of the compensation she owes you. Keep dating and doing stuff for random people completely independent of each other.

The people who ask for math help very often aren't much better at English either ;) Users won't be helping you with anything -- they only take. But point noted that tit for tat could and should be asked for in lieu of something else.

I disagree that anything I said above explicitly said that a relationship or sex is a deserved recompense for helping with homework -- That should be obvious to anyone that the two are not equal. You're making this a strawman and attributing my and other people's arguments to that one point.

What I did say was that the situation where a girl asks a guy for help, an errand, etc. is often viewed culturally as a ruse for "feeling the guy out" in terms of suitability for a future relationship, In this context, this end goal is unstated -- to state so explicitly would be to ruin the purpose of the activity and would be socially unacceptable. By the same token, to ask someone who had that goal (seeing if the guy is a suitable candidate) for recompense for studying together would also ruin that goal. I don't think this needs much more explaining why. I also think that the users who do this know exactly the limits and borders of this social construct, and how much they can push that limit to get what they want. They also know that certain guys will do it, and get used, without pushback.

So when someone uses that social convention, i.e. a guy doing nice things for a lady, turns it on its head and uses the crap out of it to get what they want, leading the guy on -- that's where things break down. And the problem is, it is very hard to call someone out on their B.S. for exactly the reasons we see here -- all of a sudden all of these women, including you, jumping to this hypothetical woman's defense -- "She owes you nothing!" "How dare you suggest she owes you sex for getting her coffee" (I never said that), etc.

We've seen other reasons listed here or implied -- "You should be selfless" or some kind of intimations of chivalry (never explicitly stated here, but there is a distinct undercurrent) -- once again, implying almost that the man owes it to women to help them, regardless of what he gets in return.

So now -- should women also be doing selfless things for guys? Heck, he just wants a little sex -- be selfless! Give to the needy! It's all about giving! And please don't ask for anything in return, like marriage or a date or money or help with homework -- remember, we should all give what people want, and not receive. Won't you be happy that you did something that made someone's day (or life?) :roll: Believe you me that if this actually happened to some guys here, it would literally make their decade.

billsmithglendale
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2010, 4:46 pm

hyperlexian wrote:
billsmithglendale wrote:
hyperlexian wrote:
billsmithglendale wrote:
hyperlexian wrote:

wow. there is nothing i can say to that, except that it seems kind of sad to me.

One person's pleasure is another person's poison. Btw, I was an Eagle Scout, and none of the 12 points in the Scout Law are selflessness -- Trustworthy, Loyal, Helpful, Friendly, Courteous, Kind, Obedient, Cheerful, Thrifty, Brave, Clean, and Reverent.

Most people do hold up Scouts as some kind of model for behavior, so I think that is saying something that complete selflessness is left out. You can be kind, helpful, etc. without putting a kick me sign on your back or being a carpet for people to walk over.

Yasmine
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

09 Sep 2010, 5:07 pm

billsmithglendale wrote:

What I did say was that the situation where a girl asks a guy for help, an errand, etc. is often viewed culturally as a ruse for "feeling the guy out" in terms of suitability for a future relationship,

If that is the threshold where women are judged to have initiated some form of courting then how in 7 luminous hells are we supposed to live a normal life. Only speak to other women? When I ask women for help - I do so because I need help and I wonder whether or not they would mind helping me. And when I ask men for help - I do so because I need help and I wonder whether or not they would mind helping me. I do not expect them to feel obligated - that's why I ask. And should the event occur that I am in a position to return the favour and they ask me - I will. Nowhere in this scenario did any expectations of further relations that we did not already have enter the equation.

billsmithglendale wrote:
We've seen other reasons listed here or implied -- "You should be selfless" or some kind of intimations of chivalry (never explicitly stated here, but there is a distinct undercurrent) -- once again, implying almost that the man owes it to women to help them, regardless of what he gets in return.

No there's an undercurrent of IF you do favours, then you're not explicitly owed anything in return (and most of all not relationships of any kind), because that's what they are; favours. If you want to perform a service for someone you have to state the terms like anyone else doing business, But you are free to not do favours as you will... as you don't owe anyone either.

billsmithglendale
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2010, 5:16 pm

Yasmine wrote:
billsmithglendale wrote:

What I did say was that the situation where a girl asks a guy for help, an errand, etc. is often viewed culturally as a ruse for "feeling the guy out" in terms of suitability for a future relationship,

If that is the threshold where women are judged to have initiated some form of courting then how in 7 luminous hells are we supposed to live a normal life. Only speak to other women? When I ask women for help - I do so because I need help and I wonder whether or not they would mind helping me. And when I ask men for help - I do so because I need help and I wonder whether or not they would mind helping me. I do not expect them to feel obligated - that's why I ask. And should the event occur that I am in a position to return the favour and they ask me - I will. Nowhere in this scenario did any expectations of further relations that we did not already have enter the equation.

You can speak to whoever you want -- but if you ask me to help you with your homework, mow your lawn, go get you coffee across town, anything of significant time outlay -- you had better be my friend, want to be my friend/aquaintance/know me, or be ready to pay for my time. Why else would I do that for you? Better yet, why are you asking me if you don't know me that well?

You need to look at your own motives for why you would be asking a stranger or someone you don't know that well to do something for you, why you can't do it yourself, and why they should do it for you. And why is it that we often find that it is women, especially certain women, making these requests? I thought we lived in a liberated society with strong, independent women.

billsmithglendale wrote:

Yasmine wrote:
No there's an undercurrent of IF you do favours, then you're not explicitly owed anything in return (and most of all not relationships of any kind), because that's what they are; favours. If you want to perform a service for someone you have to state the terms like anyone else doing business, But you are free to not do favours as you will... as you don't owe anyone either.

Yet we know this is not the case, or not many of us married folks would be married. I don't really understand why no one with ovaries on this thread is familiar with the common, time-tested social construct where a person uses one thing as an excuse to get to know the other person. Have you never asked someone for the time, just to start a conversation with them? Is it impossible to see that the "ask a favor" ruse is just a bigger version of this?

FemmeFatale
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

09 Sep 2010, 5:48 pm

I think the root of the problem is not following your will. I don't see asking for help for nothing in return unethical at all. It feels good to make other people feel good.

If you want to help someone, help them.
If you want to ask someone out, ask them.
If you want to help someone and ask them out, do both. (works well together)

As long as you're following your will, you'll always be happy. This board is filled with resentment, and the only way I see that possible is if someone wasn't really doing what they wanted. If you help a girl, and end up angry about it because you got nothing in return, you really did not want to help her, did you? And if you want to ask her out, do it. It should be based on it being what you want to do, not whether you think you're earned it or not.

I see the OP guilty of both of these will-defying acts and therefore, resentful because of it.

^ Good discussion. This from deadeyexx and the post from Janissy concerning "faking selflessness."

I have had a few male friends (married or otherwise attached) complain to me that they had helped a friend (usually a woman) only to feel unappreciated and or "used." In these cases though, the damsel in distress never requested help. These friends chose to barge in and make it their mission to help these women without first determining whether the help was desired and the expected compensation - money, sex or affection, and chose to complain about the resentment they felt about performing this good deed without payment. I suspect that they felt entitled to recognition for their selfless (?) acts and now have a bad view of many women as a result of this experience.

But of course this is not what the OP orginally wrote about but the attitude of entitlement is the same. It is better to give selflessly without expectation of repayment unless otherwise discussed with the recipient of their good deeds. I give selflessly to my partner and will help others as I feel I can (or want) to help them without an expectation of reciprocity. I will not accept help from someone who expects compensation unless I am prepared to pay the price for such help.

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2010, 5:50 pm

FemmeFatale wrote:
I think the root of the problem is not following your will. I don't see asking for help for nothing in return unethical at all. It feels good to make other people feel good.

If you want to help someone, help them.
If you want to ask someone out, ask them.
If you want to help someone and ask them out, do both. (works well together)

As long as you're following your will, you'll always be happy. This board is filled with resentment, and the only way I see that possible is if someone wasn't really doing what they wanted. If you help a girl, and end up angry about it because you got nothing in return, you really did not want to help her, did you? And if you want to ask her out, do it. It should be based on it being what you want to do, not whether you think you're earned it or not.

I see the OP guilty of both of these will-defying acts and therefore, resentful because of it.

^ Good discussion. This from deadeyexx and the post from Janissy concerning "faking selflessness."

I have had a few male friends (married or otherwise attached) complain to me that they had helped a friend (usually a woman) only to feel unappreciated and or "used." In these cases though, the damsel in distress never requested help. These friends chose to barge in and make it their mission to help these women without first determining whether the help was desired and the expected compensation - money, sex or affection, and chose to complain about the resentment they felt about performing this good deed without payment. I suspect that they felt entitled to recognition for their selfless (?) acts and now have a bad view of many women as a result of this experience.

But of course this is not what the OP orginally wrote about but the attitude of entitlement is the same. It is better to give selflessly without expectation of repayment unless otherwise discussed with the recipient of their good deeds. I give selflessly to my partner and will help others as I feel I can (or want) to help them without an expectation of reciprocity. I will not accept help from someone who expects compensation unless I am prepared to pay the price for such help.

Exactly. Well said.

Craig28
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2010, 5:55 pm

The whole dating and love scene has changed nowadays. You can't really just go up to a woman in a bar and get chatting to her, she might think that you are a weird person or she might already have a boyfriend, who will be quite likely to wallop you for stepping onto his territory by speaking to his woman.

As I have learned, most younger women expect their guys to look super looking with lots of money and a fancy car. They like to milk it for all it is worth. They delude themselves by seeing these types of things on the TV and the web or through peer pressure from their pathetic mates. Most of these deluded women are also beautiful and they are too far up their own backsides with how pretty they are and how they can play with a guys emotion by giving him the eye or a sexy pout.

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2010, 6:00 pm

Craig28 wrote:
The whole dating and love scene has changed nowadays. You can't really just go up to a woman in a bar and get chatting to her, she might think that you are a weird person or she might already have a boyfriend, who will be quite likely to wallop you for stepping onto his territory by speaking to his woman.

As I have learned, most younger women expect their guys to look super looking with lots of money and a fancy car. They like to milk it for all it is worth. They delude themselves by seeing these types of things on the TV and the web or through peer pressure from their pathetic mates. Most of these deluded women are also beautiful and they are too far up their own backsides with how pretty they are and how they can play with a guys emotion by giving him the eye or a sexy pout.

I think bars are not a good place to look for a relationship, speaking from experience.

FemmeFatale
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

09 Sep 2010, 6:03 pm

In addition to my last post, when a friend tells me what he or she is planning to do for another person and I suspect that they will be used or will eventually feel used, I try to discuss the situation with them to make them think of the possible negative consequences to their marriage/relationship or their reputation when the selfless act is not in the best interests of all concerned. They usually ignore the advice anyway and do what they want to do and complain about it later. And they never seem to learn from the experience but "everyone else is wrong."

billsmithglendale
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2010, 6:12 pm

The "Just ask her out" advice from some women here is easier said than done in a society where the pressure is on the man to make the first move. It's very easy to sit back and say "Guys should do X" when you're not a guy. Get shot down a few times, rejected a few times, and see how easy it really is.

Also, I find this a simplification of how society works -- very rarely is it appropriate to outright ask someone out. Usually, as I keep saying above (beating it like a dead horse, apparently), other activities act as proxies to facilitate this.

People who just bluntly ask other people out don't have a great success rate, and usually have very thick emotional skin. I don't see that being an accurate description of the kind of guys in this part of the forum asking for help.

And of course now that I said that, I'm sure that now I'll be buried under an avalanche of replies from women here who somehow are the exception to the above -- "I always asked first," "I asked my husband out, not him," etc. Funny how we don't see that so much in real life... :wink: :roll: Funny how easy it is to be brave or accomplished with the anonymity of the internet....

FemmeFatale
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

09 Sep 2010, 6:24 pm

Not sure it is being "brave" but I think Aspie women sometimes don't know if a man has interest in us unless he specifically expresses interest. I have had male friends disappear from my life only to find that they were interested but they expected me to know it without them saying it. (Well sometimes they didn't just disappear but first told me off in a very angry way.) Lol. Life goes on.

On the other hand, when I have had an interest in someone, I will ask him out. Some are offended by a woman taking the lead in this way but that is the only way some women would be able to initiate a friendship and/or relationship.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2010, 7:03 pm

Craig28 wrote:

Geez, and THATS not a generalisation :roll:

What about aspie girls and regular girls who get treated like a piece of rotten animal on the road by these "hot" men? It works both ways you know. The difference is we don't b***h about it here, just accept these people aren't worth knowing and avoid them.

Also in terms of the type of woman who manipulates men, it's not the majority. I've had the opportunity to do this - It was raining and quite a quiet guy I know offered to bring me food as I mentioned in passing that I was hungry, and I said "No, it's ok - no big deal at all, stay out of the rain"

Not all women are monsters.

Craig28
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2010, 7:08 pm

Things are definately different in New Zealand from where I come from in the UK. Plus, my experiences I have faced are personal ones, and don't mean anything in the wider picture of life. I don't dislike woman, I just dislike the 4 that I never got the chance to take out: Nicola, Amber, Bernadette and Rachel. I never requested sex, but that is what Nicola thought I was after. Amber was the same as Rachel - manipulative mindgamers and Bernadette was a silly immature gal. I am more interested in talking to them and getting to know them, and sex is the last thing on my mind.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2010, 7:11 pm

Billsmithglendale, you unintentionally proved my point with your boy scout (or whatever?) stuff... you cannot show kindness or courtesy without being selfless. the fact that the actual word 'selfless' was not used is irrelevant.