Got a date on Friday, worried I'm going to screw up.

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Jonsi
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2011, 2:36 pm

I suppose I'll give some background information. She and I went through primary school and halfway through middle school together. We were pretty good friends. After that we lost contact. This was six years ago. And earlier today, we met again. We've both changed quite a lot, but we have a ton in common. So we ended up deciding on dinner this Friday. :D

But I'm a little worried about a couple things. Even though we have known eachother quite a long time previously, six years is a long time. Are we technically rushing?

And I want to know what to do and what not to do so I don't screw up. She's NT, so I'm worried.

emlion
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2011, 2:37 pm

Aw sounds lovely.
You know each other already so that gives you plenty to talk about!

wefunction
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2011, 2:40 pm

That sounds like a lot of fun!

Six years isn't that long of a time. Just enough to have some fresh things to talk about after talking about all the things you two share.

Jonsi
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2011, 3:02 pm

Well, that's reassuring. I was thinking that it would be rushing, because we're dating after only talking to eachother an hour after meeting again.

sunshower
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2011, 4:08 pm

Just relax and treat it like you would the friendship so far. Try to find the original comfortableness you have had around her. And don't let yourself get too anxious or worked up (this was always my mistake, when I was your age I was asked out on a date for the first time by somebody I met at work experience, and I got so worked up and anxious about the whole thing I actually got physically sick to get out of going on the date).

Merle
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2011, 4:51 pm

sunshower wrote:
Just relax and treat it like you would the friendship so far. Try to find the original comfortableness you have had around her. And don't let yourself get too anxious or worked up (this was always my mistake, when I was your age I was asked out on a date for the first time by somebody I met at work experience, and I got so worked up and anxious about the whole thing I actually got physically sick to get out of going on the date).

Absolutely. Being comfortable is first and foremost your priority. Don't go in thinking of forming a long term relationship, getting lucky, finding your soul mate, etc. It's just stressful and won't do anyone any good.

After you have a good time, then you can worry about being in the "friends zone" or "how do I make you realize she is the one for me?"

Mindslave
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2011, 5:14 pm

The goal is to show interest in her, not to get her to show interest in you.

The bastardized way of saying this is "Let her do all the talking".

Jonsi
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2011, 7:01 pm

Thanks, guys, I'll attempt to keep all that in mind. :)

Jonsi
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2011, 4:10 pm

Gah, rescheduled to tonight, in a couple hours. I'm exploding with excitement for some reason. D: Gotta go get pretty. :D

I'll tell y'all how it goes when I get home!

emlion
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2011, 4:13 pm

Jonsi wrote:
Gah, rescheduled to tonight, in a couple hours. I'm exploding with excitement for some reason. D: Gotta go get pretty. :D

I'll tell y'all how it goes when I get home!

Good Luck!! We're rooting for you.

Azolet
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Jan 2011, 5:39 pm

emlion wrote:
Good Luck!! We're rooting for you.

Seconded. I'm sure it'll go great!

Jonsi
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2011, 8:26 pm

Just got home. That was quite possibly the best night I've ever had! Would've been later if it was Friday. >:l Sadly, I have school, she has work. v_v

Right, so we met around six for the date at Montana's. Not romantic at all, but great food. :D I was a little nervous at first but I forgot that when we started talking. It felt like we talked about everything. But everything I loved talking about, thankfully. Then when the food came, wefound something else in common. We both eat like starving dogs. :D After that we shared hot brownies and ice cream, made our teeth look wonderful. I ended up a bit short on money, I offered to pay for her meal and to go wash dishes or something to earn my own, but she was okay with paying. That worried me.

Then we took a walk on the boardwalk by the river, which she loved. Apperently guys don't normally do that willingly. We, again, talked a ton. About a lot of meaningful stuff. We were getting a little cold after awhile, it IS January, so we walked back to the car and the best part of the date happened. I got a kiss. A deep and meaningful kiss. I'm still jittery from it. The drive home was a little quiet because we were both all talked out. So we just sat, enjoying eachother's company.

We both had a wonderful time. I have to wait until my exams are over for the next one though. v_v I feel like I'm dreaming now, though. :D

emlion
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2011, 8:43 pm

Aw that sounds so lovely. :D
Don't worry about paying for dinner - lots of women like to go dutch it with it. Especially on a first date.

Grisha
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2011, 9:32 pm

That's awesome, congratulations!

I love that feeling, can never get enough of it, enjoy...

Don't worry about the money thing, it's completely irrelevent at your age.

HopeGrows
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In exactly the right place at exactly the right time.

11 Jan 2011, 9:44 pm

Jonsi wrote:
Just got home. That was quite possibly the best night I've ever had! Would've been later if it was Friday. >:l Sadly, I have school, she has work. v_v

Right, so we met around six for the date at Montana's. Not romantic at all, but great food. :D I was a little nervous at first but I forgot that when we started talking. It felt like we talked about everything. But everything I loved talking about, thankfully. Then when the food came, wefound something else in common. We both eat like starving dogs. :D After that we shared hot brownies and ice cream, made our teeth look wonderful. I ended up a bit short on money, I offered to pay for her meal and to go wash dishes or something to earn my own, but she was okay with paying. That worried me.

Then we took a walk on the boardwalk by the river, which she loved. Apperently guys don't normally do that willingly. We, again, talked a ton. About a lot of meaningful stuff. We were getting a little cold after awhile, it IS January, so we walked back to the car and the best part of the date happened. I got a kiss. A deep and meaningful kiss. I'm still jittery from it. The drive home was a little quiet because we were both all talked out. So we just sat, enjoying eachother's company.

We both had a wonderful time. I have to wait until my exams are over for the next one though. v_v I feel like I'm dreaming now, though. :D

That's so sweet. It's so great when you're that comfortable with someone. I bet she could tell you thought the kiss was "deep and meaningful" too - a definite plus for you. Awesome, bro. 8)

Azolet
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Jan 2011, 10:05 pm

Jonsi wrote:

Yay, that's awesome! Hopefully, your exams will be over soon!!